News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best anime in 2012

Started by Monoriu, January 03, 2013, 04:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

So, what is the best anime in 2012?  For the purpose of this thread, "anime in 2012" is defined as any anime show, or part thereof, that was aired in Japan within 2012. 

I watched the following shows -

One Piece - I love One Piece as always but the Fishman island arc is clearly not the best OP arc.  The pace is too slow and the story stretched for far too long.  I'd rather see some filler material than to deal with snail pace. 

Oda Nobuna's Ambition - I am a fan of the Senkoku period and it is nice to see history with a twist.  Nicely combined elements of alternate history, time travel and harem.  Too bad it ended with only 12 proper episodes and it is doubtful if there will be a second season.

Magi - So far I am enjoying this, but only 12 episodes were aired in 2012 and it is too early to judge. 

Fairy Tail - a wonderful series but too bad 2012 had a 25-30 episode filler arc.  It was overall a surprisingly good filler arc, but still a filler arc.  Some of the filler episodes were downright silly.   

Gundam Seed HD Remastered Version - this was actually my first time seeing Gundam Seed.  Nice story, cool graphics, very good songs and music.  Probably the show with the best music in 2012.  My gripe is that the first half of the series felt too similar to the original Gundam series, and the second half felt a bit unbelievable. 

Accel World - probably the second best show of the year, IMO.  It is a difficult choice on whether this or Sword Art Online is better.  Both shows share the same author and they both deal with online games.  I like the idea of accelerating, but the concept is at times too confusing and complicated compared with Sword Art Online. 

Sword Art Online - the twin of Accel World and the surprise of the year.  The "can't wait for the next episode" effect is the strongest with this one.  Only problem is that the second half isn't as good as the first half.  Still my choice for best anime show of 2012. 

What is your choice of the best anime in 2012?

Eddie Teach

The one with characters whose eyes and mouths can alternately cover half their face or disappear completely.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

you mind linking to a few trailers or similar stuff
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Monoriu

Quote from: Viking on January 03, 2013, 04:08:59 AM
you mind linking to a few trailers or similar stuff

I usually watch the anime with Chinese subtitles, so I am not sure where to find the English subtitled stuff.  Some trailers I just found on Youtube. 

Sword Art Online

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv8u5bY8Now

Accel World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u87tytmycls

Nobuna's (correct spelling) Ambition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9PJciGkwgE

Fairy Tail (fan made trailer.  It is a long series with 162 episodes aired so far)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nGyWfsv8L8

Lettow77

Naturally I was horrified at the shonen nonsense I saw in the thread, so I will once again be the arbiter of good taste pertaining to anime.

Standouts from 2012-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRHJntLYMh0
Sakamichi no Apollon skillfully interwove jazz music, kyushu in the 1960s, and well-handled romance into a fine anime. It uses a psuedoretro artistic style that still looks quite sharp and detailed, and has wonderful music. A strong contender for the best show of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrMUzoBXF1M
Fate/Zero is an anime with quite an entry barrier, being a prequel to the massive visual novel fate/stay night, but manages to have tension and action of the sort that beat'em-up shonen titles are supposed to excel in. Its main hook is a war for a holy grail that can grant any wish, which seven parties compete for; magi paired to a mythic hero from somewhere out of history or legend, with Bluebeard, King Arthur, Alexander the Great and Gilgamesh all making appearances. And waver is adorable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbGSkqgz1QQ
Thermae Romae is short at only three episodes, and done on a shoestring budget and flash animation. But it takes the simple premise of a Roman architect falling through a drain and resurfacing into modern Japan and makes it something hilarious, educational, and really charming. (And Lucius is moe.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtsCVEqfNiE
GIRLS UND PANZER has exactly what it says it does. Watch underage russian girls sing nostalgic folk songs to the lonely siberian sky as they roll their T-34s over the dunes of snow, or elegant british women struggle not to spill their tea while doing maneuvers in a Matilda tank. A wonderful, wonderful show that delivers exactly what it promises on, and it is a boring person indeed who is moved by neither GIRLS nor PANZER.
(omake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jftmXemXzKU )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42u4ytkzAWw
Humanity has Declined shows an idyllic pastoral future in which humanity has reverted to simple villages and set upon a graceful decline, being succeeded by fairies as the dominant race on the planet. What follows is social commentary, humor, and pastel-colored art. Notable for having an excellent protagonist.

Of course, Kyoto Animation had another wildly successful year. Hyouka and Chuunibyou were both excellent and prove that Kyoani remains the master of their particular niche of cute girls doing cute things.

This is not all-encompassing of the good shows this year, for it was a good one, but it is a good start.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Pedrito

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 03, 2013, 04:40:48 AM
GIRLS UND PANZER has exactly what it says it does. Watch underage russian girls sing nostalgic folk songs to the lonely siberian sky as they roll their T-34s over the dunes of snow, or elegant british women struggle not to spill their tea while doing maneuvers in a Matilda tank. A wonderful, wonderful show that delivers exactly what it promises on, and it is a boring person indeed who is moved by neither GIRLS nor PANZER.

Oh WTF  :lol:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Pedrito on January 03, 2013, 05:53:00 AM

L.
I saw fences painted with SS girls from that show while I was in Akihabra.

I think I only watched Black Lagoon and and Hellsing Ultimate this year.

I haven't watched anything new in a long time.

I really have to get around to watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

despite it being the big thing with kids these days I've never actually seen an episode  of one piece.
fairy tail I tried  to watch way back when and found it meh.
hmm.....
the only New anime series I've seen  this year was shirokuma cafe.which despite being aimed at girls was  actually rather funny
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Pedrito on January 03, 2013, 05:53:00 AM

L.

That was my reaction too when I first saw it.  In traditional Japan, well-educated girls are supposed to excel in flower arrangement and tea preparation.  The show happens in a universe where girls battle each other in WWII era tanks as a hobby on the same level as flower arrangement.  Presumably it is like a sports competition and people don't die.  I LOLed, then skipped it.  But now everywhere I look the show is getting raving reviews.  So I may surrender and watch it anyway  :blush:

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on January 03, 2013, 06:15:31 AM
despite it being the big thing with kids these days I've never actually seen an episode  of one piece.
fairy tail I tried  to watch way back when and found it meh.

Both One Piece and Fairy Tail are long-term shows.  One Piece has 578 episodes, 3 OVAs, 6 TV specials and 12 films.  Fairy Tail has 162 episodes, 5 OVA/specials and 1 film.  It is necessary to watch a large number of episodes to really get into these shows.  Watch the first 10 episodes of One Piece and it is probably meh.  Watch 100 episodes and be prepared to be hooked.

jimmy olsen

I just can't stand the art of the One Piece manga
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

"Girls Und Panzer" is very enjoyable; I have no issues with recommending it. It may be silly in many respects, but it's the addictive kind of sillyness. Watch it if only to marvel at the reveal in the first episode of just exactly where their School is! :lmfao:

As for others? I think "Mouretsu Pirates" and "Rinne No Lagrange" stick in my mind the most from the last year - not great but enjoyable and memorable enough.

"Fairy Tail" maintained its' quality, of course (it's the only multi-season anime I watch.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Agelastus on January 03, 2013, 07:52:24 AM
"Girls Und Panzer" is very enjoyable; I have no issues with recommending it. It may be silly in many respects, but it's the addictive kind of sillyness.

Less sabot rounds, more tentacles, plz.

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 03, 2013, 08:50:45 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on January 03, 2013, 07:52:24 AM
"Girls Und Panzer" is very enjoyable; I have no issues with recommending it. It may be silly in many respects, but it's the addictive kind of sillyness.

Less sabot rounds, more tentacles, plz.

You are welcome to suggest actual titles :contract:

Syt

I think Seedy/Ed would enjoy Angel Core - sex with underage girls in pseudo-Nazi uniforms.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.