News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best anime in 2012

Started by Monoriu, January 03, 2013, 04:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

Quote from: Tyr on January 03, 2013, 05:12:57 PM

For many animes dodgy streaming sites are the only way to find them.
I'm currently watching an old show called Black Heaven which was a pain to find episodes for.

No, you are just bad at it
http://bakabt.me/details.php?id=10798&page=1

I mean, you can find REALLY obscure stuff like The Star of Cottonland or Porphy's Long Journey if you want to, and that's just on available-to-anyone websites.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Monoriu

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 03, 2013, 04:35:31 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 03, 2013, 10:23:43 AM
If it takes 100 episodes to force yourself to get into it then that doesn't seem to be a particularly good show :p

There's too much stuff out there to sit around and force yourself to watch a third episode of a show you're not enjoying, let alone a hundredth. I think Mono needs Netflix.

I need to rephrase.  The authentic material of One Piece is enjoyable to watch from start to finish.  The only episodes that I almost force myself to watch are the filler material.  It only reaches legendary status if you keep it up and watch a sufficiently large number of episodes.  For this kind of show, just a random sampling of a few episodes here and there, or watching the first 10 episodes won't work.  A lot of people say that, if they start from episode one of One Piece, they start to really get into the show from the Nami/Arlong Arc.  That's after episode 30. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on January 03, 2013, 05:12:57 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on January 03, 2013, 03:34:53 PM
goodness gracious, you stream? It isn't that languish has nobody who watches anime; it is that they don't know what to watch, or how to watch it.

Get good sub groups in good video quality, and stop streaming 480p slave race from embarrassing websites

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 03, 2013, 02:33:10 PM
ペラペラペラ

then there's this guy, who doesn't even WANT to be the little girl.

For many animes dodgy streaming sites are the only way to find them.
I'm currently watching an old show called Black Heaven which was a pain to find episodes for.

A good way to find old/rare shows is emule.  I agree that BT is only good for new and popular stuff.  Emule may take longer than bt, but the success rate is quite high.  May take a while though, like weeks or months.  The search feature is especially useful, even though it is a pretty dumb search engine.  As in you need to be very careful with the exact search words that you use.

Ideologue

Quote from: Pedrito on January 03, 2013, 05:53:00 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on January 03, 2013, 04:40:48 AM
GIRLS UND PANZER has exactly what it says it does. Watch underage russian girls sing nostalgic folk songs to the lonely siberian sky as they roll their T-34s over the dunes of snow, or elegant british women struggle not to spill their tea while doing maneuvers in a Matilda tank. A wonderful, wonderful show that delivers exactly what it promises on, and it is a boring person indeed who is moved by neither GIRLS nor PANZER.

Oh WTF  :lol:

L.

Sounds Goddamned awful.

And considering there were real female Soviet tank crews who fought and died and stuff, it's really kind of offensive that this is where a potentially interesting historical fact finds purchase.  I have no problem saying this without having seen the material, because if it's good enough for Spike Lee, it's good enough for me.

Anyway, I don't think I've seen anything from 2012.  I think Welcome to the NHK is the most recent anime I've watched, and I only watched half of that because then there's the part where the shut-in starts playing crypto-WoW and the interest centers in my brain shut down.  It was only for one episode for all I know, but I strangely and suddenly was able to find something else to spend my time on.  I think it's from like 2009.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Agelastus

Quote from: Ideologue on January 03, 2013, 09:29:34 PM
Sounds Goddamned awful.

Considering it's probably the most enjoyable show of 2012 I feel motivated to intervene again...so, as I said before, quite the reverse of your statement is true.

And considering there were real female Soviet tank crews who fought and died and stuff, it's really kind of offensive that this is where a potentially interesting historical fact finds purchase.  I have no problem saying this without having seen the material, because if it's good enough for Spike Lee, it's good enough for me.

:yuk: Spike Lee...

Since the people who crew the tanks in the series are all female (even the instructor who gets to use a current era MBT unlike the competitors stuck with 1945 or earlier models) I rather doubt any of the producers of the show were aware of that fact; perhaps you might want to climb down off of your high horse a tad here. :P

Watch it - you might surprise yourself by liking it. ;)

The only problem with the show is that the last two episodes won't broadcast until March due to "production issues". :glare:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

CountDeMoney

And considering there were real female Soviet tank crews who fought and died and stuff, it's really kind of offensive that this is where a potentially interesting historical fact finds purchase.

Well, thank goodness Ray Lewis was never in one.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on January 03, 2013, 09:02:07 AM
I think Seedy/Ed would enjoy Angel Core - sex with underage girls in pseudo-Nazi uniforms.

Speaking for myself, no. I don't dig pedeo cartoons.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 03, 2013, 10:10:19 PM
I think Seedy/Ed would enjoy Angel Core - sex with underage girls in pseudo-Nazi uniforms.

Speaking for myself, no. I don't dig pedeo cartoons.

Anime chicks are hotter with boobies anyway.

Monoriu

Getting access to subtitled anime is a real pain.  Generally speaking, it is relatively easy to get shows that are (a) recent and (b) short.  It is also a lot easier to find stuff in 480p than 720p.  Some fansub groups even make stuff in 576p.  Anything that is longer than 100 episodes or broadcast more than 5 years ago is going to be painful, even if they are famous like Dragonball.  The biggest problem is getting the specials.  Say, Fairy Tail.  Getting the 162 episodes in 480p is easy.  Getting them in 720p is going to be a bit harder, but still very possible.  The real pain is getting the 5 specials, because 4 out of 5 were given out on four different discs in Japan as bonus items when they bought the manga.  The last one is a summary of the first 50 episodes or so that everybody ignored.  (Yes I got them all)

I actually am willing to *gasp* pay a reasonable price to get the official version to save time.  I want to pay a fee, press a few buttons and download, from official sources, episodes in 1080p with either Chinese or English subtitles.  Too bad this option just isn't available.  A few Japanese anime/TV firms have started to move in that direction.  What they do is sell the streaming rights to the Chinese equivalents of Youtube, and let people stream the legitimate version, with official Chinese subtitles.  They still won't let people download though. 

Razgovory

Anime chicks creep me the fuck out.  They are like those grey Aliens from the x-files with blue hair, enormous jugs and wearing a really skimpy schoolgirl outfit.  They are sexy in the same way that being raped by crazed chimps wearing clown masks is sexy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Kleves

I am shocked... I would have thought that there would be like 100+ anime series about teen Nazi sex-warriors by now.  :hmm:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 03, 2013, 02:33:10 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on January 03, 2013, 04:40:48 AM
the arbiter of good taste pertaining to anime.

This is akin to Caliga's claim to be the Zagat's of gas station bistros, or garbon dispensing advice on the best ersatz "champagnes".

Puh-leeze. Said champagnes aren't even the same league as those other two horrible competencies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on January 03, 2013, 01:27:58 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on January 03, 2013, 07:52:24 AM
"Girls Und Panzer" is very enjoyable; I have no issues with recommending it. It may be silly in many respects, but it's the addictive kind of sillyness. Watch it if only to marvel at the reveal in the first episode of just exactly where their School is! :lmfao:

:blink: :lmfao:

Alright, I'll bite.  Where is their school located?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien