Will it ever be economically feasible to colonize the solar system?

Started by Razgovory, January 03, 2013, 02:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Somebody needs to bury a drill bit in Timmay's head and drive him into the pavement, see how deep he can go.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 03, 2013, 10:56:33 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 03, 2013, 09:37:23 PM
So is phase 2 finding a way to avoid the enormous fines and prison sentences that would result from actually mining an asteroid?
Phase 2 is sending probes for observation and sample return missions from asteroids found promising by spectral analysis with the aforementioned telescopes.
Maybe they should concentrate on finding a business model that would allow them to profit before they do all this preliminary work?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

It'll probably take more then 10 years to get those phases done (if at all). Why do all that when you can get an operational mine up and running in northern Canada (for example) in a fraction of that time at a much greater margin. We still have plenty of deposits down here.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on January 03, 2013, 11:45:13 PM
It'll probably take more then 10 years to get those phases done (if at all). Why do all that when you can get an operational mine up and running in northern Canada (for example) in a fraction of that time at a much greater margin. We still have plenty of deposits down here.
Whoever succeeds in mining the asteroids will become richer than Rockefeller (the richest man ever) and revolutionize the world economy. There's no comparison.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

Why would he become richer than Rockefeller? What's out there that is so valuable?

HVC

Quote from: Zanza on January 04, 2013, 04:33:14 AM
Why would he become richer than Rockefeller? What's out there that is so valuable?
And if there's so much of it either they'd devalue the commodity, or scale back production and thus reduce profits. At this point in time there's no reason to do it. Economically anyway.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Ed Anger

Rigelian slave girls.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on January 04, 2013, 06:12:04 AM
And if there's so much of it either they'd devalue the commodity, or scale back production and thus reduce profits. At this point in time there's no reason to do it. Economically anyway.

:rolleyes:

Mass production and high availability of certain products and resources did not seem to stop highly profitable industries. Otherwise we would not have had an industrial revolution.

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on January 04, 2013, 07:13:28 AM

Mass production and high availability of certain products and resources did not seem to stop highly profitable industries. Otherwise we would not have had an industrial revolution.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be profitable. I'm saying, as resources stand now it's more profitable on earth. I'm also contending that to make someone the richest man in history you have to bring down a lot of the stuff which will devalue it.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on January 04, 2013, 07:24:48 AM

I'm not saying it wouldn't be profitable. I'm saying, as resources stand now it's more profitable on earth. I'm also contending that to make someone the richest man in history you have to bring down a lot of the stuff which will devalue it.

their ambition, AFAIK, is to make platinum and similar stuff very commonly used, everyday, cheap resources. Whether THEY SPECIFICALLY will succeed or not is up to debate of course, but unless we manage a nucular WW3, somebody will.

Strix

Ok, two thoughts on the subject...

1) We went from riding in horse drawn wagons and carriages to riding rockets to the Moon in less than a 100 years, so it's not improbably we go from riding rockets to the Moon to riding ships to Pluto (fuck you scientists, it is a planet).

2) We should take a page from history and start sending out penal colonies to space as soon as possible. The money saved by not having to care for felons in prison would probably cover a lot of the cost of colonizing.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Neil

Quote from: Strix on January 04, 2013, 08:45:24 AM
2) We should take a page from history and start sending out penal colonies to space as soon as possible. The money saved by not having to care for felons in prison would probably cover a lot of the cost of colonizing.
Except you're not saving money, because launching people into space is far, far more expensive than keeping them in prison.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 04, 2013, 02:09:38 AM
Whoever succeeds in mining the asteroids will become richer than Rockefeller (the richest man ever) and revolutionize the world economy. There's no comparison.
You keep saying that, but that's not really true.  Whoever does it will be fined, and might spend some time in prison.

Grey Fox

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 04, 2013, 02:09:38 AM

I don't know, I think the Rothschild were richer at some point.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Yeah, but the smart ones didn't flood the market.  US Steel became rich by producing much more steel then anyone had done before, but they did it over the course of decades.  They didn't just show up one day with 100 million tons of steel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017