Will it ever be economically feasible to colonize the solar system?

Started by Razgovory, January 03, 2013, 02:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on January 03, 2013, 12:17:36 PM
All it takes is one man behind the wheel of a spacecraft or at the controls of a mass driver.

I highly doubt our current space vehicles are capable of one-shotting civilization. They are however capable of visiting other planets in our solar system.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 03, 2013, 04:52:12 PM
All it takes is one man behind the wheel of a spacecraft or at the controls of a mass driver.

I highly doubt our current space vehicles are capable of one-shotting civilization. They are however capable of visiting other planets in our solar system.

I dunno.  You could wipe out a city with our current tech.  If you have the tech to mine an asteroid then you have the tech to one shot the whole planet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Planetary Resources will be mining asteroids by the end of the decade.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2013, 05:00:27 PM
I dunno.  You could wipe out a city with our current tech.  If you have the tech to mine an asteroid then you have the tech to one shot the whole planet.

We have the tech to mine an asteroid now, it's just not economically viable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2013, 05:00:27 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 03, 2013, 04:52:12 PM

We have the technology right now to one shot a small country.
Contrary to 1950s sci-fi however such potentially destructive technology remains in government hands.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 03, 2013, 05:18:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2013, 05:07:42 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 03, 2013, 05:03:03 PM
Planetary Resources will be mining asteroids by the end of the decade.

And develop Cold Fusion.
No, that's not going to happen.

You are right, and neither is the asteroid thing going to happen in eight years.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

The Google executives are the most important part of that, though what's wrong with Perot's son? Just cause his old man went batty in his old age doesn't mean anything.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Perhaps the better question is "What makes him a good leader for such an endeavor?".

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Fate

Speaking of Perot, he just opened a massive science museum in downtown Dallas. What ever happened to that guy?