Will it ever be economically feasible to colonize the solar system?

Started by Razgovory, January 03, 2013, 02:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 03, 2013, 05:03:03 PM
Planetary Resources will be mining asteroids by the end of the decade.
Only if you are talking about an Alpha Centauri remake.
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 03, 2013, 08:24:50 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 03, 2013, 05:03:03 PM
Planetary Resources will be mining asteroids by the end of the decade.
Only if you are talking about an Alpha Centauri remake.

it's a misprint.
They will be miming asteroids by the end of the decade.  That's why there is a showbiz guy in charge.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2013, 07:17:05 PM
Perhaps the better question is "What makes him a good leader for such an endeavor?".
Billions of dollars to hire the engineers to design and construct space telescopes, probes, etc.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 03, 2013, 08:38:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2013, 07:17:05 PM
Perhaps the better question is "What makes him a good leader for such an endeavor?".
Billions of dollars to hire the engineers to design and construct space telescopes, probes, etc.

That's a non-sequetor.  I'll ask again "What makes him a good leader for such an endeavor".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 03, 2013, 08:44:45 PM
Exactly how much money has been invested into the venture?
IIRC phase 1, the space telescopes that are planned to survey the asteroid field will only cost in the tens of millions.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

So is phase 2 finding a way to avoid the enormous fines and prison sentences that would result from actually mining an asteroid?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 03, 2013, 08:59:38 PM
IIRC phase 1, the space telescopes that are planned to survey the asteroid field will only cost in the tens of millions.

So right now, all they are going is buying some fancy telescopes.
I wouldn't bet the bank on the end-of-the-decade timetable.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I'm willing to bet Tim that they won't have mined any asteroids by January 1st, 2021.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2013, 10:25:54 PM
I'm willing to bet Tim that they won't have mined any asteroids by January 1st, 2021.

Careful, you may lose the bet if the company mine the asteriods on earth before then  ;)

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on January 03, 2013, 10:27:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2013, 10:25:54 PM

Careful, you may lose the bet if the company mine the asteriods on earth before then  ;)

The Chinese are indeed a crafty people.  Thanks!

Iormlund

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2013, 03:05:07 AM
I don't know if orbital factories would have an advantage over terrestrial factories. 

In addition to the environmental thing Joan mentioned, vacuum and low gravity enable some techniques not available on Earth. Crystal growth, for example, has been studied in orbit for decades:

(Left, space; right, Earth)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on January 03, 2013, 09:37:23 PM
So is phase 2 finding a way to avoid the enormous fines and prison sentences that would result from actually mining an asteroid?
Phase 2 is sending probes for observation and sample return missions from asteroids found promising by spectral analysis with the aforementioned telescopes.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory