Ray Lewis to retire.

Started by Sophie Scholl, January 02, 2013, 04:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 03, 2013, 02:38:06 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 03, 2013, 02:35:16 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 03, 2013, 02:31:14 PM
Save the moralism for your kids.

You need it a lot more than they do - so does everyone else falling all over themselves to anoint Lewis as some kind of saint or role model because he tackles real good, and has excellent lawyers.

I consider him neither a saint nor a role model, but a linebacker.  So ascribe your usual moralistic frothiness to somebody else for a fucking change, fuckhead.

Nah, you are a fine example of the very kind of person my moral frothiness is especially suited for. If he played for any other team, or wasn't incredibly talented, you would be the first in line decrying the lack of justice in those two murders.

But he tackles other men real good, so a couple stabbings can be overlooked.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

His pass coverage is decent too.

Or at least it was before he turned 50.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 03, 2013, 02:40:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 03, 2013, 02:35:37 PM
I thought one of his posse took the fall.

The two knuckleheads charged with murdering the other knucklehead were acquitted, IIRC.

Of course - nobody was willing to testify against them, least of all St. Lewis.

Ironically, two men are dead, and the only person to ever have any charge at all stick against them for the crime is Ray Lewis.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 03, 2013, 02:44:48 PM
His pass coverage is decent too.

Or at least it was before he turned 50.

He is, by all accounts, pretty much all around fucking awesome, both on and off the field.

Except for the part where he was involved in the murder of two people. If you overlook that, he is A Number One Football God.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Buktus was arguably a better middle backer.  And definitely on a pound for pound basis.

The Minsky Moment

so does everyone else falling all over themselves to anoint Lewis as some kind of saint or role model because he . . . has excellent lawyers.

I'm convinced!
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 03, 2013, 02:53:49 PM
so does everyone else falling all over themselves to anoint Lewis as some kind of saint or role model because he . . . has excellent lawyers.

I'm convinced!

Don't see why Berkut is so upset.  This is the most free market and libertarian friendly result.  People with talent get paid more and then use that money to buy a superior product.  In this case, legal representation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Meh.  You overlook crimes even more serious than murder when it comes to your own heroes, so suck it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on January 03, 2013, 03:22:16 PM
Meh.  You overlook crimes even more serious than murder when it comes to your own heroes, so suck it.

I do?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2013, 03:44:58 PM
I do?
Even moreso than Berkut.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

But, you're my hero. :(   Are you saying that you are morally bankrupt?

Sophie Scholl

I'm glad Berkut knows it had to be Ray and his pals that committed the crime.  I wonder why he didn't offer to testify with his 100% surety and knowledge of the incident.  Also, Ray has done a lot of amazing work in the community and the nation as a whole for charity and other worthwhile endeavors, so not only is he a good tackler and football player, but a good person off the field.  He was cleared of charges, Berkut.  It may infuriate you and make you especially frothy, but if you consider the courts ruled he was not responsible and didn't charge him, weigh his other off the field work, and his on the field work and work ethic, and I think he is a pretty great guy.  I'm sorry your rage prevents you from being able to acknowledge anything he has done off the field other than his involvement in matters he was cleared of over a decade ago.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 03, 2013, 04:08:25 PM
I'm glad Berkut knows it had to be Ray and his pals that committed the crime.  I wonder why he didn't offer to testify with his 100% surety and knowledge of the incident.  Also, Ray has done a lot of amazing work in the community and the nation as a whole for charity and other worthwhile endeavors, so not only is he a good tackler and football player, but a good person off the field.  He was cleared of charges, Berkut.  It may infuriate you and make you especially frothy, but if you consider the courts ruled he was not responsible and didn't charge him, weigh his other off the field work, and his on the field work and work ethic, and I think he is a pretty great guy.  I'm sorry your rage prevents you from being able to acknowledge anything he has done off the field other than his involvement in matters he was cleared of over a decade ago.

Criminal courts don't rule that someone "was not responsible", nor do they "clear" someone.  All that can be said is that there was no proof beyond a reasonable doubt implicating Ray Lewis with these homicides.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 03, 2013, 04:08:25 PM
I'm glad Berkut knows it had to be Ray and his pals that committed the crime.  I wonder why he didn't offer to testify with his 100% surety and knowledge of the incident. 

The facts speak for themselves. There is no debate even about the particulars:
1. Two men are dead.
2. They are dead because someone(s) in the group of people with Ray Lewis stabbed them to death.

QuoteAlso, Ray has done a lot of amazing work in the community and the nation as a whole for charity and other worthwhile endeavors, so not only is he a good tackler and football player, but a good person off the field. 

I think I already said this - if you ignore his involvement in stabbing a couple other human beings to death, he is awesome.

See, that is the problem though - I don't buy into the idea that there is some amount of charity work that counters murdering two people, or covering up for others who murdered two people, especially when it doesn't involve any actual remorse.

And I am pretty convinced that the only reason this is not universally accepted is because Ray Ray is such a wonderful football player. Which is, quite simply, revolting. It says something very unpleasant about our scoieties values.

If he isn't a elite football player, nobody would be talking about how his work in soup kitchens really does mean we can ignore the fact that he was involved in murdering two people.

He was cleared of charges, Berkut.

So was OJ. That doesn't mean I have to conclude he was innocent, and an all around swell guy.

Lots of people get away with murder - that doesn't make them wonderful people.
It may infuriate you and make you especially frothy, but if you consider the courts ruled he was not responsible and didn't charge him, weigh his other off the field work, and his on the field work and work ethic, and I think he is a pretty great guy.

I do not. I think stabbing people to death is pretty hard to counter-act, and no number of tackles even comes close to balancing two human beings destroyed.

His off the field stuff might mitigate it to some degree. But here is the rub - judging from everyone going on about him in the media, and even here, someone who doesn't know would not even be aware that there was anything to mitigate. It is just ignored, and not because he is such a swell guy off the field, but because he is such a great player ON the field.

So I am happy to stink up threads like this where everyone is slobbering all over what a great guy he is - he is not a great guy. He is a guy who was involved in stabbing two people to death, in addition to all the other stuff.
I'm sorry your rage prevents you from being able to acknowledge anything he has done off the field other than his involvement in matters he was cleared of over a decade ago.

I find it funny that acknowledging that Ray Lewis was involved in knifing two men to death is seen as some kind of mental incoherence on my part, while ignoring that in order to slobber all over the man is seen as some kind of reasonable response to his retirement.

And of course, the claim that I don't acknowledge all that other stuff is just a flat out lie. I've stated several times in this thread that absent his involvement in murdering to people he is an amazing guy.

0 rows returned

Berkut

No, I don't.

Funny how obvious you all are with your personal attacks when your Saint Lewis is questioned.

0 rows returned