News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ray Lewis to retire.

Started by Sophie Scholl, January 02, 2013, 04:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 03, 2013, 09:55:34 PM
That's the beautiful thing about the criminal justice system.  You don't have to be "cleared".  You don't have to demonstrate innocence.  You are innocent by presumption.

Well, at least the APD and the SA's Office didn't show too much zealotry in charging Ray Ray, because, you know, cops and prosecutors never get big boners over the possibility of landing celebrity defendants.  That never, ever happens.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 03, 2013, 10:01:46 PM
That's the beautiful thing about the criminal justice system.  You don't have to be "cleared".  You don't have to demonstrate innocence.  You are innocent by presumption.

Well, at least the APD and the SA's Office didn't show too much zealotry in charging Ray Ray, because, you know, cops and prosecutors never get big boners over the possibility of landing celebrity defendants.  That never, ever happens.

What bastards, charging your favorite player with a crime he has basically admitted he was involved in! The nerve of them!

I think thou doth protest too much Seedy. You know in your heart of hearts that I am right. That is why it upsets you so much.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on January 03, 2013, 10:19:34 PM
What bastards, charging your favorite player with a crime he has basically admitted he was involved in! The nerve of them!

I think thou doth protest too much Seedy. You know in your heart of hearts that I am right. That is why it upsets you so much.

I think you're showing an unhealthy stalky-feely thing with me for some reason, so go pick on BA or Neil for a while. 

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 03, 2013, 10:22:55 PM

I think you're showing an unhealthy stalky-feely thing with me for some reason, so go pick on BA or Neil for a while. 

Yeah, but I don't expect more out of them.

0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on January 03, 2013, 10:48:35 PM
Yeah, but I don't expect more out of them.

You should learn the power of forgiveness and atonement, Berkie.  Ray Ray has.

Sophie Scholl

I backed out of this a while ago.  Certain people haven't gotten in a debate in a while it seems and are itching for a go.  I don't think it's worth my investment of time.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Neil

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 03, 2013, 11:56:21 PM

I backed out of this a while ago.  Certain people haven't gotten in a debate in a while it seems and are itching for a go.  I don't think it's worth my investment of time.
And I just don't care.  Berkut doesn't have the ability to make me re-examine my preconceptions and opinions.  Nothing he says resonates with me, so I just make throwaway comments about how Lewis' obstruction of justice was less serious than Washington's treason.  Ray Lewis has, in the balance, done good, and he's also been a good football player.  Not ratting doesn't change that.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 03, 2013, 06:05:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2013, 05:59:02 PM
  I mean the dude is hardly a spokesperson for a thug life, he works out and does community work.

?

Per that great song, Valms is saying he is sexy and thus not a spokesperson for thug life.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Probably because you realize your defense of Lewis is weak.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 03, 2013, 06:00:39 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 03, 2013, 05:57:47 PM
His soup kitchens obviously exist to facilitate his penchant to stab homeless bums, the most vulnerable of us to said crime.  :sleep:

:lol:
At least somebody thought it was funny. <_<

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

I think it is more a matter of realizing that defending the claim that someone who was involved in murdering two people is a great human being because he tackles well is a tough job.

0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2013, 08:54:07 PM
Well that is what I do.  I just get the feeling that Barrister looks at everyone as a potential conviction.

The presumption of innocence makes perfect sense for a rule of law - you don't want to throw people in jail unless you're really, really sure they're guilty.

It makes far less sense when it comes down to other decisions - like who to idolize.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

But it is your job not to presume innocence.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on January 04, 2013, 10:49:58 AM
But it is your job not to presume innocence.

In my job I have been trained not to presume anything.  Assuming guilty, in particular, is very dangerous.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 03, 2013, 10:01:46 PM

Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't.
Sometimes the prosecutors want to make an example of a prominent celebrity, as some contend happened with Martha Stewart.
But sometimes prosecutors are wary of bringing cases with some holes in it against prominent people because of fear of backlash and the knowledge that the defense will be thorough and relentless.
And sometime prosecutors can be influenced by star power, which arguably helped Joe Paterno escape more serious inquiry.

My guess with Lewis is #2 was in play but who knows?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson