News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2nd Amendment: the poll!

Started by Kleves, December 26, 2012, 10:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution be repealed?

Yes, and I'm an American - We need to ensure that guns only end up where they belong: in the hands of the police, the military, and the most dangerous of criminals
11 (22.4%)
No, and I'm an American - guns have made America so dangerous that gun-ownership is the only way to make America safe
14 (28.6%)
Yes, and I'm not an American - Taking away America's guns will make invasion via the UN much easier #blackhelicopters
14 (28.6%)
No, and I'm not an American - I support the 2nd Amendment; it's the easiest way to kill tons of Americans each year
3 (6.1%)
Your question confuses and angers me, but I like voting in polls!
7 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Kleves

Assuming that the Supreme Court is right that the 2nd Amendment protects an individual's right to bear arms, would you be in favor of repealing the 2nd Amendment?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Admiral Yi

Much better alternative than pretending it doesn't exist.

merithyn

I don't like your premise for the answers given. :mellow:

I'm an American, and I do not think that we should repeal the 2nd amendment because I don't think that it will fix anything. I agree, in general, with allowing firearms, but I believe that there should be some restrictions. As in most things, I prefer a balanced approach rather than an absolute.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on December 26, 2012, 11:10:26 AM

Pretty sure they weren't serious.  It's just how we do polls here.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

I'm an American, and I do not think that we should repeal the 2nd amendment because I don't think that it will fix anything. I agree, in general, with allowing firearms, but I believe that there should be some restrictions. As in most things, I prefer a balanced approach rather than an absolute.

Pretty much +1
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

You know, repealing the 2nd would not automatically lead to a total ban on private firearms.  At least not in most states.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2012, 11:15:15 AM

You know, repealing the 2nd would not automatically lead to a total ban on private firearms.  At least not in most states.

It would be easier for things to creep in that general direction, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on December 26, 2012, 11:19:11 AM
It would be easier for things to creep in that general direction, though.

Of course it would.  It would throw gun regulation into the political arena.

Berkut

I would certainly be in favor of repealing it - I don't think the right to own a weapon is in any way fundamental for human freedom, and would much rather be able to discuss and make decisions about appropriate private gun ownership without the basic concept having some special protection placed around it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Nah, I'm uncomfortable fucking with the constitution.  We need a better reason then bothering some rednecks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

I don't really care for America's gun laws, but I would outlaw handguns here and require the population to hand them in. And all rifles unless you are a hunter in which case you may own rifles that are meant for hunting (shotguns or bolt-action rifles I guess).

DGuller

Ideally, I would outlaw handguns and military-grade stuff.  Long rifles and shotguns can stay, since they are less likely to be used in common gun crimes due to lack of ability to conceal them.  I also think that citizens being able to defend themselves in their home is important for the sake of dignity, if nothing else, and in this day and age that requires a firearm.

Viking

A Handgun in the home is many orders of magnitude more likely to kill it's owner than to every be used to protect anything. I think the US should look at western societies which have similar levels of gun ownership (like norway, finland and switzerland) and/or have similar social and cultural issues (uk and canada) and learn from them.

You don't need to change the constitution (though I suppose changing the constitution was a place holder for doing some gun control) to do this. Everybody has a right to join the state militia, now, limit gun ownership to hunting and sporting weapons, secure those guns in hunting or marksmanship club houses and limit the owners to people who actually participate in these activities. This is how all of the above examples regulate guns.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

11B4V

Quote from: Viking on December 26, 2012, 02:10:28 PM
A Handgun in the home is many orders of magnitude more likely to kill it's owner than to every be used to protect anything.

Provide something to back this up.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Phillip V

Quote from: Viking on December 26, 2012, 02:10:28 PM
A Handgun in the home is many orders of magnitude more likely to kill it's owner than to every be used to protect anything. I think the US should look at western societies which have similar levels of gun ownership (like norway, finland and switzerland) and/or have similar social and cultural issues (uk and canada) and learn from them.

You don't need to change the constitution (though I suppose changing the constitution was a place holder for doing some gun control) to do this. Everybody has a right to join the state militia, now, limit gun ownership to hunting and sporting weapons, secure those guns in hunting or marksmanship club houses and limit the owners to people who actually participate in these activities. This is how all of the above examples regulate guns.
No.