News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2nd Amendment: the poll!

Started by Kleves, December 26, 2012, 10:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution be repealed?

Yes, and I'm an American - We need to ensure that guns only end up where they belong: in the hands of the police, the military, and the most dangerous of criminals
11 (22.4%)
No, and I'm an American - guns have made America so dangerous that gun-ownership is the only way to make America safe
14 (28.6%)
Yes, and I'm not an American - Taking away America's guns will make invasion via the UN much easier #blackhelicopters
14 (28.6%)
No, and I'm not an American - I support the 2nd Amendment; it's the easiest way to kill tons of Americans each year
3 (6.1%)
Your question confuses and angers me, but I like voting in polls!
7 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 48

11B4V

Quote from: Viking on December 26, 2012, 02:10:28 PM
You don't need to change the constitution (though I suppose changing the constitution was a place holder for doing some gun control) to do this. Everybody has a right to join the state militia, now, limit gun ownership to hunting and sporting weapons, secure those guns in hunting or marksmanship club houses and limit the owners to people who actually participate in these activities. This is how all of the above examples regulate guns.

Sometimes there are multiple state militias.

Typical euro bs
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on December 26, 2012, 02:52:07 PM
A Handgun in the home is many orders of magnitude more likely to kill it's owner than to every be used to protect anything.

Provide something to back this up.

You know damned well what the numbers are regarding suicide by firearm in households with them in it, or are you playing Grammar NazYi with his use of adverbs?

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on December 26, 2012, 11:28:48 AM
I would certainly be in favor of repealing it - I don't think the right to own a weapon is in any way fundamental for human freedom, and would much rather be able to discuss and make decisions about appropriate private gun ownership without the basic concept having some special protection placed around it.

All well and good, but as others have alluded to isn't the genie now out of the bottle, the number of guns in circulation perhaps makes that an impractical policy route.

I haven't found any definitive figures for total small arms worldwide, but there seem to be some ball park figures that suggest an estimated 875million small arms world wide, police forces/internal security have 25million, the worlds militarys have 200 million and there's around 650 million weapons in civilians hands.

So if what 11BV4 and others are estimating is correct, the US population is now approaching owning every other civilian weapon in the world.

I don't see how you can reverse that huge accumulation of material without provoking a major crisis.

Looking at US domestic gun production, it seems to have topped 5 million a year, I don't suppose US military requirements are more than 5% of that and export seems low, so most of that is for replacement of and growth in the domestic stock levels. 

I don't know anything about US small arms imports, but is that a significant amount ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 26, 2012, 03:02:10 PM
A Handgun in the home is many orders of magnitude more likely to kill it's owner than to every be used to protect anything.

You know damned well what the numbers are regarding suicide by firearm in households with them in it, or are you playing Grammar NazYi with his use of adverbs?

Used in this context, it sounds like he's suggesting accidental discharges kill the owner more often than intruders get shot. Suicide numbers shouldn't really enter into the discussion at all.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

I want him to back that statement up. Next.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Your mother.

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 26, 2012, 03:22:40 PM

Used in this context, it sounds like he's suggesting accidental discharges kill the owner more often than intruders get shot. Suicide numbers shouldn't really enter into the discussion at all.
Except they should.  Without guns there would be less suicide attempts, and way less successful suicide attempts.

mongers

I think it part it should, as it's such a successful method that requires very little planning.
An imperfect analogy is with the 19th century poison laws, introduced not to limit the number of murders(in truth a sensational few), but to cut down on the number of suicides.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-gun-control/2012/12/21/6ffe0ae8-49fd-11e2-820e-17eefac2f939_story.html

QuoteGun murders grab headlines, but more Americans die every year from gun suicides than gun homicides. In 2009, for example, almost 11,500 Americans were killed by someone else with a gun, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, but more than 18,000 killed themselves with a firearm.

Some may shrug and say that suicidal individuals without guns would simply turn to another method. This is wrong. Not only do numerous studies link the presence of guns to elevated suicide rates, but suicide by gun is far more lethal than other methods. The "success rate" of gun suicide is about 90 percent, compared with less than 30 percent for poisoning, for example. Firearms also require the least amount of persistence and effort; the ease of pulling a trigger makes a gun more appealing to those who act on impulse. And studies of suicide survivors find that only about one in 10 makes a second attempt.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Of course it should. Its ridiculously outdated, it is useless for its original purpose and has been for many many years, the only purpose it serves these days is standing in the way of sensible laws by letting people play the patriotic 'lets all worship the 200 year old piece of paper' card.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on December 26, 2012, 04:46:39 PM
Of course it should. Its ridiculously outdated, it is useless for its original purpose and has been for many many years, the only purpose it serves these days is standing in the way of sensible laws by letting people play the patriotic 'lets all worship the 200 year old piece of paper' card.

I'm just a little curious what you think it's original purpose was.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2012, 04:52:53 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 26, 2012, 04:46:39 PM

I'm just a little curious what you think it's original purpose was.
:unsure:
National defence?
Your post confuses me.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on December 26, 2012, 05:07:41 PM
Your post confuses me.

It wasn't intended to.  What can I do to alleviate this confusion?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2012, 05:10:47 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 26, 2012, 05:07:41 PM
Your post confuses me.

It wasn't intended to.  What can I do to alleviate this confusion?
Give me pie.

I'm curious about why you're curious about that. Its common knowledge isn't it? Or are the folks who believe something different?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

I wouldn't say it's common knowledge that the original purpose of the 2nd amendment was to provide for the national defense.

For example, if it's purpose was to provide for the national defense, why include it as a right that the federal government cannot infringe upon, rather than part of Congress' warmaking powers?