Poverty in Germany: example how to produce widely different results with stats

Started by Syt, May 18, 2009, 01:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Two graphics.

The first shows "poverty" as defined by the EU: people with less than 60% of the median national income:

The second shows people with less than 60% of the median state income (which, as some argue, is more accurate as it takes into account local variances; e.g. cost of living in Hamburg is higher than in Bumfuck, Brandenburg, so salaries there are likely to be higher).

I guess I'd subscribe to the second graphic. I'd label the first an overview of standard of living throughout the nation, the second "relative poverty per state".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

I don't think either measure "poverty" though - they measure relative wealth distribution at the low end.

I think people who measure "poverty" in these kinds of terms tend to have a rather different goal than eradicating actual poverty.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on May 18, 2009, 01:34:34 PM
I don't think either measure "poverty" though - they measure relative wealth distribution at the low end.

True, of course, which is why I referred to the second pic as "relative poverty per state", not as absolute poverty as in struggling to have something to eat on the table tomorrow.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

I'm curious...how "integrated" is the former East Germany nowadays?

I know there will be some relics of the former communist East...but as far as federal administration, general social factors, etc...if an ignorant Westerner traveled from the former West to the East, is the difference all that noticeable?

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Berkut on May 18, 2009, 01:34:34 PM

I think people who measure "poverty" in these kinds of terms tend to have a rather different goal than eradicating actual poverty.

Someday they will measure poverty through your iPod model number and the size of your HDTV.

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 18, 2009, 07:14:08 PM
I'm curious...how "integrated" is the former East Germany nowadays?

I know there will be some relics of the former communist East...but as far as federal administration, general social factors, etc...if an ignorant Westerner traveled from the former West to the East, is the difference all that noticeable?

Depends on where you go. The major hubs (esp. Leipzig/Dresden) are pretty much on par (with the exception of some old Eastern Architecture) with western cities, but rural areas, esp. Brandenburg and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (with exception of Baltic Sea resorts) are a wholly different matter entirely.

Easterners hold a bit of a grudge, because Chancellor Kohl promised "prosperous landscapes" in the former GDR.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

I disagree, Syt. Now, I agree with Berkut that both graphs are crap to measure actual poverty, but if I was to choose either method, I'd say the first method with an adjustment for local costs of living, would make much more sense than the second graph.

Malthus

Yeah, the graphs are measuring wealth equality, not poverty. The two may correlate or they may not - in a wealthy society, it may well be possible to have 60% of the median income (whether by state or nation) and still have enough to eat, an education, and a place to live.

Dunno how one would even go about measuring "absolute" poverty though.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Btw, what these numbers also show is that some journalists of certain major tabloids (*cough*BILD*cough*) don't understand the difference between median and average income.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on May 19, 2009, 12:26:12 AM
Easterners hold a bit of a grudge, because Chancellor Kohl promised "prosperous landscapes" in the former GDR.

Well, they're a damned sight better off than they were under the DDR, aren't they?  Things don't happen overnight.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on May 19, 2009, 11:10:15 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 19, 2009, 12:26:12 AM

Well, they're a damned sight better off than they were under the DDR, aren't they?  Things don't happen overnight.

Objectively probably, but the unemployed, uneducate tend to disagree, on a subjective level. People wanted same standard of living immediately.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Well it has been 20 years.  By now people are graduating and entering the workforce who have never lived in the DDR.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2009, 11:14:11 AM

Well it has been 20 years.  By now people are graduating and entering the workforce who have never lived in the DDR.

Or not. There's a bit of a migration (esp. women and other qualified folks) away from the structurally weak rural eastern regions where there's few career opportunities.
—Stephen Jay Gould