News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Commons speaker is to stand down

Started by Richard Hakluyt, May 19, 2009, 09:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Here in the UK there have been huge shenanigans over the expenses of MPs. It appears that many of our politicians have been under the illusion that they are Italian parliamentarians, their expenses claims have been so ludicrous...........

Michael Martin has been the Speaker of the House of Commons for the past nine years. During his tenure he has managed to bring even that position into public contempt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8057203.stm

Good riddance Martin, don't let the door bang your arse on the way out  :D

Hopefully the Commons will now act with wisdom and elevate a person of sound moral principles to the role.

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 19, 2009, 09:49:42 AM
Hopefully the Commons will now act with wisdom and elevate a person of sound moral principles to the role.
As it's a non party political role, there is at least a small chance of this :D

Bring back Betty!

Jaron

Every American who clicks this thread is hoping you are talking about Pelosi. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on May 19, 2009, 10:24:40 AM
Every American who clicks this thread is hoping you are talking about Pelosi. :P

I know.  GODDAMNIT!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Ah yes, bugger! Since the role is so partisan in the US I'd forgotten that she has the same title.

Anyway, to clarify the role in the UK parliament, the speaker is supposed to be independent and non-partisan. His main responsibilities are to maintain order in the house and uphold it's rights and responsibilities.

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on May 19, 2009, 10:24:40 AM

:yes: :( :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Changed it to "Commons speaker" to try and reduce the over-excitement in the US that the previous title generated  :cool:

garbon

Seriously, I was going to go home sick and have a party! :Embarrass:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2009, 10:39:42 AM
Seriously, I was going to go home sick and have a party! :Embarrass:

Sorry, but you're gonna have to continue to take one for the team.  You may need to wait until 2011 ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall