Will a Horrific Bus Gang-Rape in Delhi Finally Change India's Culture of Rape?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 21, 2012, 01:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on June 09, 2014, 10:10:38 AM
:(

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/08/indian-minister-rape-remark-anger-violence-women

Yadav's father, Mulayam Singh – leader of the Samajwadi party – was the target of public anger in April when he told an election rally that he opposed the recently introduced death penalty for gang-rapists, saying "boys make mistakes". Women's groups criticised the comments as evidence that politicians were unable to stem sexual violence because they lacked respect for India's women and were ignorant of the issues.

The irony is that all the bleeding-heart weaklings who (rightly) make such a noise about rape in the U.S. would quail at the prospect of executions.  I don't get the left anymore.  Sometimes I don't know if I ever did.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on June 09, 2014, 09:17:50 PM

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/08/indian-minister-rape-remark-anger-violence-women

Yadav's father, Mulayam Singh – leader of the Samajwadi party – was the target of public anger in April when he told an election rally that he opposed the recently introduced death penalty for gang-rapists, saying "boys make mistakes". Women's groups criticised the comments as evidence that politicians were unable to stem sexual violence because they lacked respect for India's women and were ignorant of the issues.

The irony is that all the bleeding-heart weaklings who (rightly) make such a noise about rape in the U.S. would quail at the prospect of executions.  I don't get the left anymore.  Sometimes I don't know if I ever did.

Well I'm glad. I don't think we need:

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on June 09, 2014, 09:17:50 PM

It isn't this guy's opposition to executions that is pissing people off, I assume, but his stated reasons for opposing them in the particular case of gang rapes: that "boys make mistakes". It appears to put gang rapes in the same category as skipping school or getting a JD - a bad choice made by youngsters, rather than a vicious crime.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 10, 2014, 07:59:42 AM
It appears to put gang rapes in the same category as skipping school or getting a JD - a bad choice made by youngsters, rather than a vicious crime.

:lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/12/indian-police-gang-rape-uttar-pradesh

QuoteIndian police 'gang-rape woman after she fails to pay bribe'

Woman says she was attacked at a police station in Uttar Pradesh after going there to seek her husband's release

An Indian woman has said she was gang-raped by four officers at a police station, the latest in a string of sex attacks in the state of Uttar Pradesh.

The woman said she was attacked when she went to the station overnight on Monday in the Hamirpur district to seek her husband's release.

"At 11.30pm when there was no one in the room the sub-inspector took me to his room and raped me inside the police station," the woman told CNN-IBN.

She filed a complaint with a senior officer on Wednesday over the attack, which allegedly occurred when she refused to pay a bribe to secure the release of her husband. Virendra Kumar Shekhar, a police official from Hamirpur, said: "The procedure will be followed. The victim has filed a complaint and the guilty will be arrested soon."

Sub-inspector Balbir Singh said a criminal case had been lodged against four officers from the station.

The case is the latest in a string of rapes and murders in Uttar Pradesh, India's most populous state, where the chief minister, Akhilesh Yadav, is under growing political pressure over his handling of law and order.

Last month, two girls, aged 12 and 14, were gang-raped and lynched in their village. They were attacked after going into a field to relieve themselves at night because they did not have a lavatory at home.

Their families refused to cut the bodies down from the tree for hours in protest, saying police had failed to take action against the attackers because the girls were from a low caste.

The prime minister, Narendra Modi, , in his first comments on the issue since the hanging of the girls sparked public outrage, on Wednesday urged all politicians to work together to protect women. Modi warned politicians against "politicising rape", saying they were "playing with the dignity of women" in his first speech to parliament since sweeping to power at last month's election.

India brought in tougher laws last year against sexual offenders after the fatal gang-rape of a student in New Delhi in December 2012, but they have failed to stem the tide of violence against women.

Also on Wednesday, a 45-year-old woman was found hanging from a tree in Uttar Pradesh. Her family said she had been raped and murdered. A police officer said five men were being questioned over the incident, which occurred several kilometres from her home in Bahraich district. "They [her husband and son] have alleged that the woman, before being strung up from the tree, was raped and murdered by these men," the district superintendent Happy Guptan told AFP.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 09:35:26 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 10, 2014, 07:59:42 AM
It appears to put gang rapes in the same category as skipping school or getting a JD - a bad choice made by youngsters, rather than a vicious crime.

:lol:

Hey, I nead to get my licks in somehow.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/10-year-old-raped-on-village-headman-s-order-in-jharkhand-556740

Quote10-Year-Old Raped On Village Headman's Order In Jharkhand

Bokaro, Jharkhand:  On Tuesday evening, a 10-year-old girl was dragged from her home, as the entire village watched, to a nearby forest, where she was raped by a 25-year-old man.

The child was raped on the orders of a self-appointed headman of a remote village in Jharkhand's Bokaro district. He decreed that she be raped as revenge for her older brother's alleged attempt at molesting her assaulter's sister. 

The man had complained to the headman, alleging that on Monday night, the girl's brother tried to molest his sister.

A medical test has confirmed that the minor was raped. Her father, a farmer, was out for work when she was dragged out of her home. Her mother, who was in the house, mutely accepts that her daughter was raped on orders of the headman, who appropriates that title by virtue of being the chief of a dominant caste in the village

The headman has been arrested, as has the rape survivor's brother and the man who assaulted her. Jharkhand Police spokesperson Anurag Gupta told NDTV, "FIRs have been filed from both sides. We have arrested three people. I have instructed the state police to file a chargesheet in the case as soon as possible."

Not many villagers are willing to speak on camera, but they say that almost the entire village was witness to the ghastly crime. Locals say they did not intervene because of the clout of the headman. The police admitted that headman is a very feared man whose word is law in the area.

To re-iterate:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/12/us-india-rape-un-idUSKBN0EN1EL20140612

QuoteIndia rebuffs 'simplistic' U.N. criticism over sex crimes

(Reuters) - India has rebuffed accusations by a U.N. investigator that sex crimes are rife in the world's biggest democracy, calling her analysis "simplistic" and full of "sweeping generalizations".

India's large northern state of Uttar Pradesh has seen a wave of violence and sex crimes, including the rape and murder of two girls aged 12 and 14, which stirred national outrage.

The United Nations special rapporteur on violence against women, Rashida Manjoo, said violence against women was systematic and continued "from womb to tomb" in a report submitted to the U.N. Human Rights Council in Geneva.

"According to numerous interlocutors, the physical, sexual and psychological abuse of women in the private sphere is widely tolerated by the State and the community," Manjoo wrote.

In its response, posted on the Council's website on Thursday, India called that allegation "baseless". It said she had made "unsubstantiated yet sweeping generalizations".

"We do not agree with the labeling of 'violence against women in India as systematic'," India said. "Such a sweeping remark smacks of a highly prejudiced state of mind."

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Wednesday that respecting and protecting women should be a priority for the 1.25 billion people in India. "The government will have to act," Modi said, breaking his silence on the crime wave. [ID:nL4N0OS2WI]

Manjoo, a South African law professor, said India should try to raise awareness of practices such as acid attacks against women who refuse a marriage proposal, so-called honor crimes where family members murder a woman because they believe she has dishonored them for example by opposing an arranged marriage, as well as executions of women branded as "witches".

Her report ranged from decrying degrading tests used on rape victims to urging India to define marital rape as a criminal offence and to repeal a law that criminalized consensual same-sex behavior.

On honor killings, the government said it gave "due consideration" to an Indian Law Commission report that had suggested a legal framework to tackle the practice.

It said "witch-hunts" were not a national phenomenon and complaints were always investigated. It said Manjoo should have informed the government if she knew of specific cases where there had been a complaint but no investigation.

India's response to Manjoo's report listed 16 allegations that it said were not backed up by facts.

The examples it gave included her claim that sexual violence was widespread across the country, that members of the security forces had committed mass rapes, that trafficking of women and girls to and from India was widespread, and that police and officials discriminated against people from certain castes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I don't find India very attractive. I'll spend my tourist dollars elsewhere.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grallon

Multiculturalism dictate we have to accept this as culturally relevant.  And besides who are we to judge - just look at the terrible history of the West and its list of unending crimes!

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

CountDeMoney

"When you start treating your Indians better, then we'll start treating our Indians better."