Will a Horrific Bus Gang-Rape in Delhi Finally Change India's Culture of Rape?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 21, 2012, 01:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 26, 2014, 11:07:46 AM
If the person consents out of fear, then it's rape if you ask me.

Agreed.  I was mistaken on what LaCroix meant, but I didn't really agree with it either way.  That prior consent means both parties should be cognizant and the prior consent can still be revoked, via something like a safe word.  I'm such a dork, that I think of it in the same vein as a "remember me" checkmark on a password field- the password still has to be entered, the computer can sorta kinda ignore it in the future, but it can still be revoked by logging out.
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 26, 2014, 11:11:41 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 26, 2014, 11:07:46 AM
If the person consents out of fear, then it's rape if you ask me.

Agreed.  I was mistaken on what LaCroix meant, but I didn't really agree with it either way.  That prior consent means both parties should be cognizant and the prior consent can still be revoked, via something like a safe word.  I'm such a dork, that I think of it in the same vein as a "remember me" checkmark on a password field- the password still has to be entered, the computer can sorta kinda ignore it in the future, but it can still be revoked by logging out.

I don't really see how this has anything to do with the discussion prior to you mentioning rape fantasies. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 26, 2014, 11:11:41 AMAgreed.  I was mistaken on what LaCroix meant, but I didn't really agree with it either way.  That prior consent means both parties should be cognizant and the prior consent can still be revoked, via something like a safe word.  I'm such a dork, that I think of it in the same vein as a "remember me" checkmark on a password field- the password still has to be entered, the computer can sorta kinda ignore it in the future, but it can still be revoked by logging out.

yes, consent can always be revoked. this is why people can be prosecuted for raping their partner (marital or not). south carolina is the only state in the union where violence is required for one to be convicted of raping their marital spouse. i don't really see your point

Quote from: DPSRape traditionally meant the use of force, or the threat of force, to obtain sex.  If the victim doesn't resist, and the threat of force is merely implied, then it can be perceived as being in a grey area.

traditionally, yes. your first sentence is correct. the change in language to present tense makes your second sentence incorrect

Quote from: GarbonDo people think about those as separate?

apparently!

garbon

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on January 26, 2014, 11:29:04 AMApparently you do...or?

oh, misread. thought you meant in terms of one being rape and the other not being rape

violent-rape = guy is beat, etc. not the pain from insertion. women receive pain as well from insertion, though not as much. i don't think it would help the discussion to say all rape is violent because pain is felt. i could have defined "violent" better in my first post, though

The Brain

My God the retards are out in force. You know who you are! Hmm, maybe not...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

LaCroix

MadImmortalMan

So it seems Mrs. MIM will be taking a business trip to Bangalore. Usually, if she goes someplace, especially overseas, I go too. Because, well wouldn't you? But this is...I dunno. I have no desire to go to India but I don't really feel cool about releasing all <100 pounds of blonde rape-bait into India without being around to break some faces. It's a few months off.

Frankly, I want nothing to do with India. If I got free tickets to Calcutta, I'd probably take the first train to Burma or Lhasa.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 04, 2014, 06:15:37 AM
So it seems Mrs. MIM will be taking a business trip to Bangalore. Usually, if she goes someplace, especially overseas, I go too. Because, well wouldn't you? But this is...I dunno. I have no desire to go to India but I don't really feel cool about releasing all <100 pounds of blonde rape-bait into India without being around to break some faces. It's a few months off.

Frankly, I want nothing to do with India. If I got free tickets to Calcutta, I'd probably take the first train to Burma or Lhasa.

Serious question:  if she was attacked by a gang of, say, 5 or more men, do you think you could actually do anything about it if you were with her?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: dps on May 04, 2014, 06:31:47 AM

Serious question:  if she was attacked by a gang of, say, 5 or more men, do you think you could actually do anything about it if you were with her?

Die fighting.  :(

Seriously, I'd rather that than the alternative.

MadImmortalMan

Mrs. MIM : Oh, don't worry, the girl I'll be traveling with is much bigger than me and has a lot of muscles.

Me: *So, the only one the rapists will want is you. Wonderful.  :(  *

This looks bad.

The Brain

As long as you avoid crowds in India you're fine.

I personally don't want to have much to do with India (the place seems to be a hellhole of publicly defecating rapists), but I don't think your fear in this case is entirely raional. I'm sure the forum accountants can do the numbers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Surely business trip people never see much beyond  their hotel and the ugly business park that they're visiting. Not too much opportunity for shenanigans
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

You are being paranoid. I've never been to India, but I really want to go. You are lucky. :) I know so many people that have been (mostly for work, for extended periods), and none got raped. One of my cousins lived there for an extended period working as an anthropologist out of New Delhi, and she never had a problem.

It is a country of over a billion people and you are taking a few stories as a reason to be frightened.

Also, if you want to get into Lhasa, you might want to look into it now. I don't know if things have changed, but it has been that it is a bit of a pain in the ass to get into Tibet and you need a guide and a group (which maybe only 2 people?). I don't know if you literally meant a train to Burma (I doubt there is one), but even with them opening up, some of their land borders are closed (don't know about India) and there western region has had some recent unrest and I believe might be off limits to visitors.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014