Will a Horrific Bus Gang-Rape in Delhi Finally Change India's Culture of Rape?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 21, 2012, 01:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

QuoteIn response, the government passed a new stringent law increasing prison terms for rape and making voyeurism, stalking, acid attacks and the trafficking of women punishable under criminal law.

Er.  So up until very recently, voyeurism, stalking, acid attacks, and human trafficking (of women, at least) weren't punishable under criminal law?  You could throw acid on a woman and you'd be a-okay as far as the cops are concerned?  :blink: 

CountDeMoney

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2013, 10:09:16 AM
I see forced enemas at gunpoint are still a go, though.

Well, I was thinking about going to see and taste the river made up almost entirely of shit and dead bodies, but I wasn't sure.  After your post though, I'm definitely booking my tickets.  It truly sounds like a magical land.

E: Oh.  Apparently there are multiple shit and dead body rivers there.  I mean the Ganges.  Or are the others only shit water without the corpse water?

Syt

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 23, 2013, 10:06:46 AMEr.  So up until very recently, [...] acid attacks[...] weren't punishable under criminal law?  You could throw acid on a woman and you'd be a-okay as far as the cops are concerned?  :blink:

Was probably considered damage of property.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Isn't this how things work in primitive societies that don't have strong tribal/family units to prevent that sort of thing?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Two good friends of mine are going to India for their honeymoon in October. Neither are very savvy travelers, so I'm worried sick about them.

I keep telling myself that I'm only hearing the worst of it through the headlines, and if I went by that in my own city, I'd be terrified to step outside. Nonetheless, two women traveling the sights of India alone just worries me sick.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

frunk

Quote from: merithyn on August 23, 2013, 11:22:02 AM
Two good friends of mine are going to India for their honeymoon in October. Neither are very savvy travelers, so I'm worried sick about them.

I keep telling myself that I'm only hearing the worst of it through the headlines, and if I went by that in my own city, I'd be terrified to step outside. Nonetheless, two women traveling the sights of India alone just worries me sick.

It depends quite a lot on where they go and when they go there.  The major tourist/business areas should be ok, but it would be best if they had a tour group or other guide to take them around.

Malthus

Are they going on their own, or with a tour or guide?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

I would be as well, even without all the rape over there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on August 23, 2013, 12:42:02 PM

Me too. I vetoed an idea for a trip to Egypt also. (Durr). But even though there is lots to see in India, I honestly don't think I ever want to go there. That's pretty much the only place on the planet with that distinction for me.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Yeah, fuck that shit.  We have libraries and museums for a reason.

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on August 23, 2013, 12:40:06 PM

Are they going on their own, or with a tour or guide?

A guide set up the tour for them, but I don't know if they're traveling alone or with a group. Given that they have very specific ideas of where they wanted to go and what they wanted to see, I would be surprised if they're traveling with others. Hence, a large part of my concern.

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 23, 2013, 12:45:09 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 23, 2013, 12:42:02 PM

Me too. I vetoed an idea for a trip to Egypt also. (Durr). But even though there is lots to see in India, I honestly don't think I ever want to go there. That's pretty much the only place on the planet with that distinction for me.

Whereas India is one of the places that I'd really like to visit at some point. :(

Just not... now.

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2013, 10:09:16 AM
I see forced enemas at gunpoint are still a go, though.

Very well. You are hereby authorized to continue setting up your LLC.
and the horse you rode in on