And we're back!

Main Menu

The meaning of "Christmas"

Started by merithyn, December 20, 2012, 10:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2012, 09:05:10 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 20, 2012, 07:55:42 PM
Definitely...the Pope basically said recently that Protestants do not have true church because they do not have a true priesthood nor do they have proper sacraments. Basically he views them as ecclesial communities of Christian lay people operating without proper guidance. In the same declaration he stated Orthodox had true priesthood/sacrament but suffered an imperfection in that they didn't properly acknowledge the authority of the successor to Peter.

I think that's a fair assessment. The only church I can even see having a real beef with that is the Anglicans and Lutherans, who to my mind have what I'd consider a professional priesthood and true sacraments.

I think we can recognize Lutherans, Presbyterians and Anglicans are far superior to Baptists, Pentecostals, Nazarene and etc ilk.

Pretty words, but you're still going to burn in hell for following the Nazi Antichrist of Rome. :console:

As opposed to a religous movement founded by an unrepentant German anti-Semite?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

I have to say, Raz's posts have been incisive as of late.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2012, 11:56:25 PM
As opposed to a religous movement founded by an unrepentant German anti-Semite?

Meh, who wasn't back then.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 21, 2012, 09:15:22 AM
:hmm:  And you were doing so well, too...
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maximus

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2012, 09:05:10 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 20, 2012, 07:55:42 PM
Definitely...the Pope basically said recently that Protestants do not have true church because they do not have a true priesthood nor do they have proper sacraments. Basically he views them as ecclesial communities of Christian lay people operating without proper guidance. In the same declaration he stated Orthodox had true priesthood/sacrament but suffered an imperfection in that they didn't properly acknowledge the authority of the successor to Peter.

I think that's a fair assessment. The only church I can even see having a real beef with that is the Anglicans and Lutherans, who to my mind have what I'd consider a professional priesthood and true sacraments.

I think we can recognize Lutherans, Presbyterians and Anglicans are far superior to Baptists, Pentecostals, Nazarene and etc ilk.

Pretty words, but you're still going to burn in hell for following the Nazi Antichrist of Rome. :console:

Aren't you an Ortho? You know the Holy Father has extended various options to let your kind re-enter the flock with a lot of your extant customs in place.

Something to think about   :).

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Neil on December 21, 2012, 11:27:34 AM

Please, Raz's posts have been at least an entertaining as:

QuoteWhy?  Most of the people who celebrate Yule are douchebags, whereas most of the good things in our society come from Christians.

And just as serious.

Neil

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 21, 2012, 11:38:08 AM
Aren't you an Ortho? You know the Holy Father has extended various options to let your kind re-enter the flock with a lot of your extant customs in place.

No, he's a Protestant.  Scipio is the Orthodox.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 21, 2012, 11:39:50 AM
Quote from: Neil on December 21, 2012, 11:27:34 AM
Please, Raz's posts have been at least an entertaining as:

QuoteWhy?  Most of the people who celebrate Yule are douchebags, whereas most of the good things in our society come from Christians.

And just as serious.
It's important that people know that hippie bullshit isn't to be tolerated.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Neil on December 21, 2012, 11:41:23 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 21, 2012, 11:38:08 AM

No, he's a Protestant.  Scipio is the Orthodox.

Ah, that's a pity. I actually liked Beeb.

Admiral Yi

Actually I think Beeb is Uniate.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 21, 2012, 02:31:16 PM
Actually I think Beeb is Uniate.

It's some kind of Sola Scriptura thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive