Started by merithyn, December 20, 2012, 10:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2012, 04:03:18 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 20, 2012, 04:01:38 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2012, 03:55:25 PM
I celebrate Glitter Day.

Good for you. :)

It's an actual holiday created three years ago. It falls on the second Saturday of January and is the gay response to every other group having its own winter holiday. :P

It's as real as Kwanzaa.

It still begs the question of why you would celebrate it.  I mean, you aren't gay.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2012, 04:18:53 PM
You're making a mountain out of a molehill.
She's not the one blowing it up. That's been pretty much everyone else in this thread.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on December 20, 2012, 04:21:46 PM
She's not the one blowing it up. That's been pretty much everyone else in this thread.

I'm not implying that she's standing in the middle of Times Square shouting I AM NOT A CHRISTIAN I DO NOT CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS I CELEBRATE YULE YOU FUCKING FUNDIES LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE

What I am saying is that her response to some people complaining about the de-Christianization of Christmas is disproportionate.

*BTW, I just learned that if you hit tab in the middle of a post, your incomplete post gets posted.

lustindarkness

Wow you people are really bored worrying about what other people think or believe.

Since I am bored at work :)
I don't give a flying fuck about Christmas and wish you all a Merry Christmas the same, if it offends anyone? I don't care. If you think I am such a nice christian wishing you a merry christmas, I don't care. You realise I don't believe in your God? Still don't care.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2012, 04:15:59 PM

Which is as real as the United States of America.  Yet if we are talking about real human society something's "reality" is entirely based on how many other people agree that it exists.  I could declare my own nation of 'Dantonia' but until a certain critical mass of people agree it is a country it will not have the reality of The United States.

So in concrete physical terms you are absolutely right.  But in terms that actually practically relate to how we live in human society you are wrong.

What's that "critical mass"? And what is it while it builds to that point? I mean, your own church is considered along the same lines. UU is, afterall, only a few decades old. Before it had more followers, what was it? Less "real"? Worthy of derision simply because it was new?

I don't get this appeal to some indeterminate "critical mass" or length of time as some form of validity. If someone wants to celebrate something a certain way, why is that a problem regardless of how many people agree or how long they've been doing it? Why does anyone care what others do?

Kwanzaa has a lovely story behind it. Yes, it began as a form of seperatism, but that's changed over time for most. It's a celebration of a culture rich in traditions, music, and foods. It's a celebration of overcoming tragedy. How many holidays that we celebrate are different? But because it's new, it's not valid?

Glitter Day, however tongue-in-cheek it may have started, may become next century's Valentine's Day. I don't understand the need to criticize and belittle how others choose to celebrate things in their life. What do I care? I mean, if I can relate, I may look into it, but if not, then it's really none of my business.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2012, 04:25:06 PM

I'm not implying that she's standing in the middle of Times Square shouting I AM NOT A CHRISTIAN I DO NOT CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS I CELEBRATE YULE YOU FUCKING FUNDIES LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE

What I am saying is that her response to some people complaining about the de-Christianization of Christmas is disproportionate.

Which response was that? Saying that I agree that Christmas has meaning for many - myself included - and therefore, I prefer not to use that term for my own celebrations? That's disproportionate to... what? How should I handle this? Just go along, even though it goes against my own, personal understanding? Why? Because it's easier for... who? How does it affect anyone other than me? 

Quote*BTW, I just learned that if you hit tab in the middle of a post, your incomplete post gets posted.

Good to know. :)

merithyn

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 20, 2012, 04:25:58 PM
Wow you people are really bored worrying about what other people think or believe.

Since I am bored at work :)
I don't give a flying fuck about Christmas and wish you all a Merry Christmas the same, if it offends anyone? I don't care. If you think I am such a nice christian wishing you a merry christmas, I don't care. You realise I don't believe in your God? Still don't care.

Sounds good to me. :hug:

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2012, 04:25:06 PM

*BTW, I just learned that if you hit tab in the middle of a post, your incomplete post gets posted.
Sorry, I don't think that asking a question, even on languish, is a disproportionate response to anything.

The wisdom of doing so may be a different matter.

Martinus

Merri has a point. The unitarians are as wacky as Kwanzaa.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on December 20, 2012, 04:34:57 PM
Which response was that? Saying that I agree that Christmas has meaning for many - myself included - and therefore, I prefer not to use that term for my own celebrations? That's disproportionate to... what? How should I handle this? Just go along, even though it goes against my own, personal understanding? Why? Because it's easier for... who? How does it affect anyone other than me? 

A little disingenuous Meri.  The what that your response is disproportionate to is the this that you're asking how to handle.

The issue as I see it is how to respond when somebody rants about taking God out of Christmas.

Martinus

By the way, I wish people Merry Christmas and thank them if they wish it to me. But then Polish culture is very homogenic so it may be different elsewhere.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2012, 04:39:43 PM
homogenic

I don't usually crack on non native speakers but this one is cute. :D

It's homogenous.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on December 20, 2012, 04:34:57 PM

I think we caught what we saw as a logical inconsistency with you claiming not to celebrate Christmas while (from our perspective) celebrating Christmas.  You asked for our thoughts on the matter, and we gave them to you with both barrels :P

And sorry about the "Hispanic" crack.  I was just trying to yank your chain a little & didn't mean to offend.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2012, 04:42:57 PM

I don't usually crack on non native speakers

Then how shall we learn? :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.