News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The meaning of "Christmas"

Started by merithyn, December 20, 2012, 10:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Today, I got into a discussion about the use of the term "Christmas". I mentioned to a couple of friends that I don't celebrate Christmas, but I do celebrate the holiday season. One of them took great offense at that, saying that if I celebrate the holiday season I obviously celebrate Christmas. My problem with that is that I do not celebrate the birth of Christ, which is the whole point of Christmas. So, I kind of feel like it's disinenguous to say that I celebrate Christmas. He said that the whole holiday is Christmas, not just the religious aspect, so I'm wrong in saying that I don't celebrate the holiday.

What says Languish on the subject?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Phillip V

The point of Christmas is to not argue over such things.

Martinus

Valmy

A distinction without a difference.  After all Christmas is just a Christian excuse to continue celebrating the symbolism of rebirth of the world with the Winter Solstice.  I mean even for us who do celebrate Christ-like stuff the holiday really is not about that as getting together and celebrating another year gone by with everybody.  I know you don't do the whole family thing but it sounds like you and Max make it special just the two of you.

So I challenge the notion it is disinenguous to say you don't celebrate Christmas just because you don't do the whole Christ thing.  That part is pretty arbitrary anyway, as it is the symbolism of Jesus' birth that is the deal, not the fact that there is a 1/366 this may have been his birthday.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2012, 10:31:45 AM
White people problems.

What?  In your opinion do other races lack the brain power to ponder on the nature of Holidays or something?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

I say that you should punch your friend in the balls.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2012, 10:35:34 AM
White people problems.

What?  In your opinion do other races lack the brain power to ponder on the nature of Holidays or something?

It's a term used by Louis CK to describe problems that people who have no real problems have. I meant that most people probably do not bother with arguing about stuff like that. ;)

Caliga

Calnac the Magnificent predicts that 'white people problems' will show up in Mart-generated threads often in the near future.  :osama:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on December 20, 2012, 10:42:21 AM
Calnac the Magnificent predicts that 'white people problems' will show up in Mart-generated threads often in the near future.  :osama:
:lol:

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2012, 10:33:30 AM
So I challenge the notion it is disinenguous to say you don't celebrate Christmas just because you don't do the whole Christ thing.  That part is pretty arbitrary anyway, as it is the symbolism of Jesus' birth that is the deal, not the fact that there is a 1/366 this may have been his birthday.

That's kind of what I keep in the holster in case anyone gets all shitty with me telling them "Merry Christmas".  I mean, you're accepting the day off from work, right?  Enjoy the day off if that's all Christmas means to you. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

You are wrong. You celebrate Christmas.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Faeelin

You celebrate whatever you damn well feel like.

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2012, 10:39:27 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2012, 10:35:34 AM
White people problems.

It's a term used by Louis CK to describe problems that people who have no real problems have. I meant that most people probably do not bother with arguing about stuff like that. ;)

This is Languish. It's what we do here. :mellow:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Faeelin on December 20, 2012, 10:52:35 AM

That's right.......and call it what you want too.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 20, 2012, 10:54:54 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on December 20, 2012, 10:52:35 AM

That's right.......and call it what you want too.

I don't think Meri is under the impression she is being oppressed here guys as much as I appreciate your bomb throwing anarchism :P