News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Real Men Pay

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 19, 2012, 07:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I was following a discussion about who pays when people go on a date. One woman was quite insistent that the man should always pay. Period. Now this lady is a feminist, or says she is. And fairly smart from what I can tell. Her point boiled down to this: The man is showing respect to the woman by offering to use his money to attract her, and the woman is showing trust by allowing him to do this.

Now this may be an attempt to rationalize why she holds this position so she can keep making dudes buy her free meals, and we all know smarter people have higher capability to rationalize.

But, that aside, giving her the benefit of the doubt, how does letting somebody buy you stuff demonstrate trust? Guy or girl, either way.

If you are of the opinion that the man should always pay, is this why, or is there another reason?

Oh, and to pre-emptively derail into a gay thread: On a gay date, the lawyer pays.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

She's rationalizing. What trust could there be in having someone pay for dinner for you? Trust they won't reach down your throat and try to take the meal back?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

On a first date I think the man should offer to pay, the women should offer to pay half, and the man should insist on paying all.

On subsequent dates the inviter should pay, whether it's the man or the woman.

CountDeMoney

I have no problem paying 100% for dates, but I have very specific and finite date-paying-to-scoring-ass CBA models with extremely rigid deadlines that need to be met.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2012, 07:34:00 PM
On a first date I think the man should offer to pay, the women should offer to pay half, and the man should insist on paying all.

That is proper etiquette for both sides.

QuoteOn subsequent dates the inviter should pay, whether it's the man or the woman.

A bit too soon, but then again I like the Seedy approach.

And needless to say, MEN DRIVE :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I expected to be in poundtown fairly soon.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

I don't understand how this is even still a discussion. Whoever invites, pays. It's not that hard.

And the chick is totally rationalizing to get free food.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on December 19, 2012, 07:30:53 PM
She's rationalizing. What trust could there be in having someone pay for dinner for you? Trust they won't reach down your throat and try to take the meal back?

Fear of poison?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on December 19, 2012, 08:33:44 PM

Fear of poison?

They aren't cooking the food.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

The only thing that I can come up with for this is trusting that the guy won't assume he's getting laid just because he paid for dinner. But that's one hell of a reach, from my perspective.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on December 19, 2012, 08:36:14 PM

The only thing that I can come up with for this is trusting that the guy won't assume he's getting laid just because he paid for dinner. But that's one hell of a reach, from my perspective.

If anything I see that as sign that he expects to get laid if he pays.

Josquius

My view is that its BS old fashioned sexism that happens to be in the woman's favour (it wasn't all entirely one sided...).
Back in the day it made sense. Men were the ones who went out to work and made lives for themselves whilst women were home-making baby poping machines. Ergo men had the money ergo men should pay.
These days however men and women are equal and both are just as capable of getting jobs and earning money of their own so...makes no sense the man should pay.

A gay friend insists I'm in the wrong on this. He says that since I'm the one who is expecting to shag a girl rather than be the shagee it is therefore my obligation to pay- if he was dating a guy and expecting to bottom then he would want to be paid for but if he was expecting to top then he would pay. How true this is amongst gays in general or if its just him being weird I don't know. Queerguish?

That trust thing is nonsense.
Unless the man is showing trust that the woman isn't a gold digger just out for the free meal?...except men have to pay so even if she is a gold digger he's not putting in any special trust, its just what he is forced to do....
The only logical way buying a meal/drink for someone shows trust IMO is if you're doing 'rounds'- I'll pay for this one because I trust you won't welch out of paying for the next.

Glad I don't date.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on December 19, 2012, 08:45:09 PM
A gay friend insists I'm in the wrong on this. He says that since I'm the one who is expecting to shag a girl rather than be the shagee it is therefore my obligation to pay- if he was dating a guy and expecting to bottom then he would want to be paid for but if he was expecting to top then he would pay. How true this is amongst gays in general or if its just him being weird I don't know. Queerguish?

He seems to be confusing going on a date with prostitution. :D

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 19, 2012, 07:29:05 PM
Now this lady is a feminist, or says she is.
I disagree with her.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on December 19, 2012, 08:34:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 19, 2012, 08:33:44 PM

Fear of poison?

They aren't cooking the food.

Fuck if I know, neither of us date many women so we are both sort of out of our element.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017