News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What charities do you guys donate to?

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 16, 2012, 10:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Donations of money to The United Way, Red Cross and Access Justice (an organization that provides legal services to people who cannot afford lawyers)

Donations of time to Access Justice

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 17, 2012, 08:15:35 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 17, 2012, 01:43:22 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 17, 2012, 12:05:40 AM
hear squawking on the radio from one of the dog walkers

:huh:

We have little 2-way radios for the dog walkers, in case they lose the dog or have trouble with one or something.  It's over 350 acres.

Ah ok. Anyway, I was thinking that shits like the guy from your story do not happen in the civilized world, only in countries like Poland.  <_<

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 17, 2012, 09:41:31 AM
The United Way,

Man, I hate those fucking guys.  I don't think there's been a charity that's resulted in more indictments and prison time for its administrative people for embezzling in the last 20 years.

Of course, if you work for anybody like a hospital, university or even some private companies, you will contribute by leadership mandate.   And people bitch about unions.

Tamas

I am told the state knows much better than I am, where my money can make a difference. So I just dump 50% of everything I earn on them and let them do what they do best.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tamas on December 17, 2012, 01:22:04 PM
I am told the state knows much better than I am, where my money can make a difference. So I just dump 50% of everything I earn on them and let them do what they do best.

I did notice that the euros seem to be less interested in giving to charity.  :P

Personally, I prefer to be able to choose where my money goes and who it helps.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

I feel rather bad.  I do not give any significant sums to charity.  If someone comes to my office collecting for something or another I'll give them $20, but that's about it.

But there are just so many other demands on my money.  If I had an extra $100 per month to play with I'd rather put it into my kids's education account, rather than give it to charity.   :Embarrass:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2012, 01:36:58 PM
I feel rather bad.  I do not give any significant sums to charity.  If someone comes to my office collecting for something or another I'll give them $20, but that's about it.

Same. Last time I gave money away it was in a collection for a guy in the office who had to move into a shelter as a result of Sandy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 17, 2012, 12:46:46 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 17, 2012, 09:41:31 AM
The United Way,

Man, I hate those fucking guys.  I don't think there's been a charity that's resulted in more indictments and prison time for its administrative people for embezzling in the last 20 years.

Of course, if you work for anybody like a hospital, university or even some private companies, you will contribute by leadership mandate.   And people bitch about unions.

I suppose I should have specified it was the Canadian not the US charity I support with financial contributions.

I was unaware of the trouble with the US organization and so your post prompted me to find this

QuoteWilliam Aramony served for 22 years as president and CEO of United Way of America (UWA), the umbrella group for thousands of local United Way organizations that fund social and human service projects nationwide. In 1992, Aramony resigned amidst allegations that he siphoned money from UWA through spin-off companies he helped to create. Before the scandal broke, Aramony was widely respected as one of the most influential nonprofit leaders of his time. He even had a hand in creating many of the rules under which charities operate today. In 1995, Aramony and two conspirators, Thomas Merlo and Stephen Paulachak, were convicted of defrauding UWA. Aramony was convicted on 25 felony counts and sentenced to seven years in prison for fraudulently diverting $1.2 million of the charity's money to benefit himself and his friends.

This scandal is especially memorable given how Aramony chose to use some of the charity's funds. For instance, he used UWA cash to woo a girl, Lori Villasor, who was only 17 years old when they began dating; Aramony was 59. He met Villasor while dating her slightly older sister. Both young women were added to UWA's payroll. For his notoriously young girlfriend, Aramony spent $450,000 of the charity's money to purchase and lavishly furnish a New York condo; $78,000 to chauffeur her around New York City; and $4,800 to renovate her home in Florida. The couple vacationed in Egypt, London, Las Vegas, and Atlantic City. The New York Times reported on the testimony of Aramony's former aide, Rina Duncan, with whom he also had an affair. Duncan testified to falsifying Aramony's expense records for seven years so that he could charge the charity for things like champagne, flowers and plane tickets for Villasor.

Aramony was also known for treating female employees inappropriately. He offered some women financial benefits if they had sex with him and would transfer those who declined, according to the indictment. Aramony's lawyer claimed there were medical reasons for his client's behavior, arguing Aramony's ability to control impulses was impaired by brain atrophy.

When Aramony resigned amidst scandal in 1992, the organization's growth in contributions stalled for a few years. CharityWatch president, Daniel Borochoff, remarked in USA Today in 1995 as to how the scandal influenced public perception of charities, saying, "It created a climate where donors are more questioning. They want to know more about how an organization is governed and the ethics of its leaders."

The Larch

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 17, 2012, 01:29:37 PMI did notice that the euros seem to be less interested in giving to charity.  :P

It's more of an Anglo-Saxon thing, IMHO. Charities are a huge thing in Britain, for instance.

AnchorClanker

I'm a Red Cross, Oxfam America and Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society kinda guy.  I also use kiva.org for non-profit microlending.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Admiral Yi

:w00t:  Spanky barely squeaks in with his required annual post.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on December 17, 2012, 02:09:56 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 17, 2012, 01:29:37 PMI did notice that the euros seem to be less interested in giving to charity.  :P

It's more of an Anglo-Saxon thing, IMHO. Charities are a huge thing in Britain, for instance.

1st of all, I would give to charities if I wasn't already be sponsoring various social spendings, the arts, the sports, the education of the Hungarians outside the borders etc.

2nd, I can watch the UK Sky channels, and commercials of course. "Just 2 pounds a month so you don't have to feel bad about all this suffering shoved straight into your face on prime time telly"
How much 2-pounds donation you must spend to make that professional commercial?

Even better are the "adopt a wild animal" commercials "Not only you get to have your VERY OWN Siberian snow tiger in Siberia, you will get regular updates on him with photos and shit. Only a pound per month!"

AnchorClanker

Re: Education of Hungarians outside the borders...

Does this involve sending maps of pre-Trianon Hungary to them?
Horthy keychains?
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Tamas

Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 17, 2012, 03:01:58 PM
Re: Education of Hungarians outside the borders...

Does this involve sending maps of pre-Trianon Hungary to them?
Horthy keychains?

:lol:

dunno, the state sponsors some schools accross the border, that's all I know