News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What charities do you guys donate to?

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 16, 2012, 10:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

I donate money to ANERA, the Palestinian relief group that seems least likely to put me on the no-fly list.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Tamas on December 17, 2012, 03:14:51 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 17, 2012, 03:01:58 PM
Re: Education of Hungarians outside the borders...

Does this involve sending maps of pre-Trianon Hungary to them?
Horthy keychains?

:lol:

dunno, the state sponsors some schools accross the border, that's all I know

:shifty:  That's pregnant with possibilities.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

AnchorClanker

Oh, also kicked some money to Wikipedia and to the Washington National Cathedral for repairs.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

AnchorClanker

Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 17, 2012, 03:58:24 PM
Oh, also kicked some money to Wikipedia and to the Washington National Cathedral for repairs.

OK, this is weird.  I write this, and then go outside to get the mail.  Guess what?
A letter from the Washington National Cathedral that they still need $250,000 to complete repairs.
I sighed a bit as I reached for the checkbook.

Ed Anger

Ed Anger, inc.
Ed Anger wants a 87 Jag fund
Oops, I knocked up another girl abortion fund
Ed Anger apology fund
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

AnchorClanker

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 17, 2012, 04:19:17 PM
Ed Anger, inc.
Ed Anger apology fund
This.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on December 17, 2012, 04:30:43 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 17, 2012, 04:19:17 PM
Ed Anger, inc.
Ed Anger apology fund
This.

How did Ed convince you to donate to his apology fund?

MadImmortalMan

Caliga: Deliberately provocative since 2001.

:P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 17, 2012, 04:32:08 PM
You did Ed convince you to donate to his apology fund?
The Colonel can be very persuasive. :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

If I were going to give more to charity I would really like to give to the local homeless shelter.  It's not a hip or sexy cause, but those are people who really need it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2012, 04:55:52 PM
If I were going to give more to charity I would really like to give to the local homeless shelter.  It's not a hip or sexy cause, but those are people who really need it.

I give a few hundred dollars a year directly to people that look like they need it.

One particularly heart warming story - a couple months back I saw a guy binning near my parking garage.  He saw me and gave me a friendly greeting so I stopped and spoke to him for a couple seconds.  I noticed he had no socks and that his shoes were way too big for his feet.  His clothes were wornout and he didnt look like he had eaten properly in days.

He told me he had lost his spot in a local shelter for a number of reasons I cant now remember and because of that he also lost access to the shelters clothing give outs.  His only option was to try to get enough money to buy some clothes and shoes from the salvation army.

I asked him how much he thought he might need and he said 5 bucks would really help.  I told him I didnt think he could buy much for that so we went through a list - pants, shoes, a few pairs of socks and underwear a jacket and a couple shirts.  We tallied up what he thought he might need for all that (I think it came to about 60 bucks) and I gave him another 40 bucks to get some food for the week.

When I got back to the office most people were critical thinking I had just contributed to a drug/alcohal addiction.  And I admit that was a real possibility.

I saw him again a few weeks later.  He had new clothes and shoes.  He also looked much more healthy.  He was so happy when he saw me he jumped up in the air.   He didnt even ask for more money....

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on December 17, 2012, 02:58:37 PMEven better are the "adopt a wild animal" commercials "Not only you get to have your VERY OWN Siberian snow tiger in Siberia, you will get regular updates on him with photos and shit. Only a pound per month!"
You've got to remember that in the UK the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children was founded by, and for many years, a subsidiary of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.  One of the most successful charities over here is a donkey sanctuary.  They raised enough money to offer security to British donkeys and are now touring the world saving other endangered donkeys :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 17, 2012, 05:49:08 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2012, 04:55:52 PM

I give a few hundred dollars a year directly to people that look like they need it.

One particularly heart warming story - a couple months back I saw a guy binning near my parking garage.  He saw me and gave me a friendly greeting so I stopped and spoke to him for a couple seconds.  I noticed he had no socks and that his shoes were way too big for his feet.  His clothes were wornout and he didnt look like he had eaten properly in days.

He told me he had lost his spot in a local shelter for a number of reasons I cant now remember and because of that he also lost access to the shelters clothing give outs.  His only option was to try to get enough money to buy some clothes and shoes from the salvation army.

I asked him how much he thought he might need and he said 5 bucks would really help.  I told him I didnt think he could buy much for that so we went through a list - pants, shoes, a few pairs of socks and underwear a jacket and a couple shirts.  We tallied up what he thought he might need for all that (I think it came to about 60 bucks) and I gave him another 40 bucks to get some food for the week.

When I got back to the office most people were critical thinking I had just contributed to a drug/alcohal addiction.  And I admit that was a real possibility.

I saw him again a few weeks later.  He had new clothes and shoes.  He also looked much more healthy.  He was so happy when he saw me he jumped up in the air.   He didnt even ask for more money....

:cool:

This is one of the best sorts of charity.  :thumbsup:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"