News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What charities do you guys donate to?

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 16, 2012, 10:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2012, 04:55:52 PM
If I were going to give more to charity I would really like to give to the local homeless shelter.  It's not a hip or sexy cause, but those are people who really need it.

Considering it's sometimes very hard to tell a homeless person from a hipster, you may be failing there...

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 17, 2012, 09:41:31 AM
Donations of money to [snip] Access Justice (an organization that provides legal services to people who cannot afford lawyers)

Donations of time to Access Justice

That's like a CEO of a tobacco manufacturer donating money to lung cancer prevention foundation.  :lol:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on December 19, 2012, 02:21:42 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 17, 2012, 09:41:31 AM
Donations of money to [snip] Access Justice (an organization that provides legal services to people who cannot afford lawyers)

Donations of time to Access Justice

That's like a CEO of a tobacco manufacturer donating money to lung cancer prevention foundation.  :lol:

Yeah, I give up thousands of dollars in billable time to help people who cant afford to pay for legal assistance.  I am evil incarnate.  The Martinus gift for analogy strikes again! 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 19, 2012, 05:23:54 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 19, 2012, 02:21:42 AM

Yeah, I give up thousands of dollars in billable time to help people who cant afford to pay for legal assistance.  I am evil incarnate.  The Martinus gift for analogy strikes again!

C'mon, it's Martinus.  He's such a polock, when somebody mentions pro bono, he's thinking about The Joshua Tree album.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2012, 01:41:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2012, 01:36:58 PM
I feel rather bad.  I do not give any significant sums to charity.  If someone comes to my office collecting for something or another I'll give them $20, but that's about it.

Same. Last time I gave money away it was in a collection for a guy in the office who had to move into a shelter as a result of Sandy.

That was only a couple months ago. Last time I gave money away it was for Haitian earthquake relief.  :scots:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

OttoVonBismarck

Annual charitable donations:

Nature Conservancy
Catholic Medical Mission Board
Catholic Charities USA
Catholic Diocese of Arlington

Caliga

I just directed another corporate donation to the Red Cross.  Yep, I'm a pretty great person. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

I got a very clever March of Dimes solicitation with a dime in a see-through envelope window.  I pocketed the dime and tossed the letter.

How the hell did I end up on their mailing list?

sbr

Just today I dropped $100 into a card for a co-worker who broke his leg and is going to miss at least 6 months of work, maybe more.  :cool:

Caliga

Quote from: sbr on May 08, 2013, 03:57:02 PM
Just today I dropped $100 into a card for a co-worker who broke his leg and is going to miss at least 6 months of work, maybe more.  :cool:
My donation was $1,000, so I'm a kinder and more caring individual than you are. :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maladict

I give away about 5% of my net income to varying causes. I think the biggest are Amnesty, Greenpeace, a national fund that helps refugees and Cancer research.
When the government cuts back on foreign aid and such I make a point of upping mine by the same percentage. I kinda hope they stop doing that.  :Embarrass:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

sbr

Quote from: Caliga on May 08, 2013, 04:02:42 PM
Quote from: sbr on May 08, 2013, 03:57:02 PM
My donation was $1,000, so I'm a kinder and more caring individual than you are. :showoff:

My $100 was straight out of my bank account and went to a guy I know, which is always more heartfelt and significant than your anonymous, faceless transfer of likely ill-gotten corporate funds.

AnchorClanker

Using your giving to show how holy you are?   <_<

On another note, anybody out there use kiva.org?  I've liked dealing with them for micro-lending.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr