Elementary school shooting gun control pissing contest

Started by Grey Fox, December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2013, 05:35:24 PM
It was in the context of another law concerning abortion.  You said you opposed the law but really didn't care because it was in Ohio, I pointed out that's why the state's rights issue is bullshit because if it was guns you would give a shit.

Ah, it was the Virginia ultrasound thingie.  So then go on about the gun part.  Not sure if I'm following.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on January 14, 2013, 05:52:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2013, 05:35:24 PM
It was in the context of another law concerning abortion.  You said you opposed the law but really didn't care because it was in Ohio, I pointed out that's why the state's rights issue is bullshit because if it was guns you would give a shit.

Ah, it was the Virginia ultrasound thingie.  So then go on about the gun part.  Not sure if I'm following.

My original point was that state's rights was bullshit since it's just a fallback position.  You don't believe that you give up the right to defend your home with a firearm because you go to another state.  You said that it was not, it wasn't your business what they did in other states and if they passed laws that you took away your freedoms in your state you'd simply move to another.  You didn't care about what they did in other states.  Apparently you now do.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Explain to me specifically how my position has changed.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I will, but I'll have to get back to you later cause I don't feel like digging through the archives right now.  You could be proactive and prove yourself wrong for me, that would be a big help.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2013, 07:14:59 PM
I will, but I'll have to get back to you later cause I don't feel like digging through the archives right now.  You could be proactive and prove yourself wrong for me, that would be a big help.

You always seem to be trying to paint me into some imaginary corner.  You should find something more productive to do with your time.  I don't even feel guilty about using the Yicratic Method on you anymore.

But let me sum it up for you.  Yes, I believe in having more power decentralized down to the state level.  No, that does not mean I think states can usurp constitutionally-guaranteed freedoms such as free speech, freedom of religion, 2nd Amendment, etc. 

But that doesn't mean I get worked up about all gun issues in other states.  For example New York appears to be getting ready to pass a stupid restriction reducing acceptable magazine size from 10 to 7 rounds.  It's silly and won't reduce any crime, but meh I have other things to worry about.

derspiess

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

I like Raz.  He's a Cardinals fan so he can't be all that bad.

Razgovory

Sorry, I ain't feeling tonight.  Maybe tomorrow.  I looked through the archives for a while but got disgusted by Grumbler-Berkut "Only I know what Freedom is" rants.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2013, 08:30:04 PM
Sorry, I ain't feeling tonight.  Maybe tomorrow.  I looked through the archives for a while but got disgusted by Grumbler-Berkut "Only I know what Freedom is" rants.

I've already thrown everything I have on the table, so don't bother if you're expecting to have a conversation.

Ed Anger

derspiess

Biden says they've identified 19 executive courses of action, but it sounds like it's more along the lines of increased enforcement of existing laws, in which case bully for them.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/biden-guns-executive-actions-86187.html?hp=t1_3

Obama promised to fill us in on the details this week.  Hopefully he's more prompt with that than he's been with his budget.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on January 14, 2013, 08:40:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2013, 08:30:04 PM

I've already thrown everything I have on the table, so don't bother if you're expecting to have a conversation.

Oh you have more.  They always have more.