Elementary school shooting gun control pissing contest

Started by Grey Fox, December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2012, 09:50:08 AM
Quote from: merithyn on December 19, 2012, 09:47:00 AM
:secret: It was a joke.  :secret:

A joke in the sense that you think the opposite, or a joke in the sense that you'd prefer not to debate it?

A joke as in it's silly to think that all of one gender or another would be absolutely one way or another. A joke as in no one with any intelligence about human nature would assume that a government made up entirely by women would create a Utopia of sweetness and light. A joke as in it's an extreme comment to make fun of the idea that women would be so much better at running things.

But you know, when you have to explain the joke...  :rolleyes:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2012, 09:50:08 AM
A joke in the sense that you think the opposite, or a joke in the sense that you'd prefer not to debate it?

I think a joke about gender stereotypes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Seriously, I had thought to stock up on 30 round mags to resell if a ban popped up(assuming already existing mags were grandfathered in).

But an angel popped up on my shoulder and tsk tsk'ed the devil on the other shoulder.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on December 21, 2012, 03:52:03 PM
:lol:

QuoteBushmaster Rifle Prices Rise After Connecticut Shooting

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/12/17/bushmaster-rifle-prices-rise-after-connecticut-shooting/

QuoteWalmart Out Of Guns As Americans Race For Arms After Newtown

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/19/walmart-guns-newtown_n_2332612.html

The paranoia over gun control is really sad.  I know politicians are making noise right now but this is not going anywhere.  But man they will find any excuse the freak out that the government is coming for their guns, as if they would give a crap about your guns if they wanted to get you for some reason.  What are you going to do?  Gun down some poor cop?

This is just a scam by the gun manufacturers and all these fools are brainless tools.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 21, 2012, 03:58:03 PM
Seriously, I had thought to stock up on 30 round mags to resell if a ban popped up(assuming already existing mags were grandfathered in).

You weren't the only one. 

Several places had 10-packs of Magpul 30-round mags on sale for $99 a couple weeks ago (normal retail is about $15 apiece).  Bastards at Cheaper Than Dirt (ha!) marked them up to $60 apiece last Sunday.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2012, 04:06:32 PM
The paranoia over gun control is really sad.  I know politicians are making noise right now but this is not going anywhere.  But man they will find any excuse the freak out that the government is coming for their guns, as if they would give a crap about your guns if they wanted to get you for some reason.  What are you going to do?  Gun down some poor cop?

You're making a leap, there.  People aren't buying guns, ammo & magazines because they are afraid the government will try to take them away from them-- they're (foolishly I'll admit) buying up everything because they're worried about future availability.

FWIW, most people I'm aware of who participated in the panic-buying frenzy had been on the fence about buying an AR but figured this might be their last chance to buy one at the current price. Of course I've also heard stories about hoarders, but not everyone is hoarding.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

That doesn't strike me as mutually exclusive.  If the government takes the guns away that would probably make them scarce in the future.  We had a similar thing when Obama was elected in 2008, when ammunition became scarce.  There were lots of conspiracy theories floating around about that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 21, 2012, 03:58:03 PM

But an angel popped up on my shoulder and tsk tsk'ed the devil on the other shoulder.

5.56mm and 7.62mm are getting mighty scarce too.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2012, 04:28:13 PM
That doesn't strike me as mutually exclusive.  If the government takes the guns away that would probably make them scarce in the future.  We had a similar thing when Obama was elected in 2008, when ammunition became scarce.  There were lots of conspiracy theories floating around about that.

Again, no.  People though the Dems were going to try to either tax ammunition, ban imports, or find other ways to make it more scarce and/or expensive. 

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2012, 04:30:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2012, 04:28:13 PM

Again, no.  People though the Dems were going to try to either tax ammunition, ban imports, or find other ways to make it more scarce and/or expensive.

Are you saying there weren't a lot of conspiracy theories floating around?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2012, 04:30:32 PM

So long as we do not return the situation in the 80s and early 90s, when the majority of the people were in favor of gun control, the Democrats are not going to do jack.  Though the ones who will politically benefit from it will make some noise but there are too many Democrats who support guns to really get any traction.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2012, 04:37:50 PM
Are you saying there weren't a lot of conspiracy theories floating around?

There certainly were.  And believe me, you've probably only heard the tip of the iceberg.  I'm just telling you that the reason for most of the ammo panic-buying in 2008 was not conspiratorial.  Unless you think fear of possible anti-gun/ammo legislation from a Democrat House/Senate/President is a conspiracy theory.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2012, 04:42:22 PM
Though the ones who will politically benefit from it will make some noise but there are too many Democrats who support guns to really get any traction.

Eight days ago you would have been absolutely correct.  But things appear to be a little different now.  See: Joe Manchin, who had an "A" NRA rating but is now singing a different tune.