Elementary school shooting gun control pissing contest

Started by Grey Fox, December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: derspiess on December 18, 2012, 10:37:15 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2012, 10:15:45 AM
I used to take off my shoulder holster and hang it on the coat rack when I got home from work.  :unsure:  First thing to come off at the end of the day, last thing to put on going out the door in the morning.

Did you shake your head wearily & mumble "I'm gettin' too old for this shit" when you did it?

He did, all the while knowing he had to break in an eager rookie and try to solve that murder, all in his last two weeks before retirement.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

Quote from: PDH on December 18, 2012, 10:49:06 AM
I used to take off my shoulder holster and hang it on the coat rack when I got home from work.  :unsure:  First thing to come off at the end of the day, last thing to put on going out the door in the morning.

Did you shake your head wearily & mumble "I'm gettin' too old for this shit" when you did it?

He did, all the while knowing he had to break in an eager rookie and try to solve that murder, all in his last two weeks before retirement.

But he's still alive. Shouldn't he have been shot down on his last day, gasping out some last inspiring words to the rookie that made all the difference?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2012, 06:30:56 AM
One of these days, somebody's going to walk across the street, and bludgeon one of them with a Louisville Slugger.

Unfortunately, they are all immune to being beaten senseless.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

:lol:  Throw darts at the dartboard before setting the metronome at bedtime.

If only I had a Bernice at home.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2012, 12:34:56 PM

:lol:  Throw darts at the dartboard before setting the metronome at bedtime.

If only I had a Bernice at home.

I think it was a knife, not darts, IIRC.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on December 18, 2012, 10:35:51 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 18, 2012, 12:23:59 AM
Don't act all confused.

It's not an act.  I'm still trying to figure out what Susan Rice has to do with this.

Don't be coy.  I saw you get all defensive about the gun issue, I just reminded you of your glorious victory over the monster Susan Rice.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on December 18, 2012, 02:18:41 PM
Don't act all confused.

It's not an act.  I'm still trying to figure out what Susan Rice has to do with this.

Don't be coy.  I saw you get all defensive about the gun issue, I just reminded you of your glorious victory over the monster Susan Rice.

Okay.  Odd though that it seems like you are now more fixated on her than I ever was. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on December 18, 2012, 02:20:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 18, 2012, 02:18:41 PM
Don't act all confused.

Okay.  Odd though that it seems like you are now more fixated on her than I ever was.

I doubt that.  I'm not interested in her.  I was interested in your rage against this woman which you couldn't really explain to us.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 18, 2012, 10:03:57 AM
The most fanciful situation out there is a home invasion where they bust down the doors. That's the most pressing need for a gun, but in reality unless you have a loaded gun in every room in your house, there is no guarantee at all you'll be able to get to one in such a situation. And if you have a loaded gun in every room in your house, that is all the more dangerous to children.

So even when I kept a revolver in my night stand I think in such a situation, the reality is a home invasion would have to be met with physical force of the hand to hand type unless I was lucky enough to be in my bedroom when it started. Other situations, like someone prowling around the property, setting off the alarm or etc trying to steal--that presents more than enough time for me to get to one of my locked guns.

Now, I don't even bother keeping anything around for protection at the ready anymore; I've been out of bail bonds for so long, I doubt anybody still remembers if they want to kill me or not, and mainly because nobody in this town's going to climb three flights of stairs to whack me.  They can wait for me down by the car.

I do keep my handguns in combo lock cases now, because of the cleaning ladies;  still quick enough to get to for the rare pounding at the door at 2am--but that's usually because the Dazzling Urbanites come home drunk as shit, and forget they live downstairs.

Good, sensible, thought out stuff.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Susan Rice was the dutiful lackey that she was to protect the Prez.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on December 18, 2012, 02:44:08 PM
Good, sensible, thought out stuff.

I also had my semi-auto test-fired by a buddy at the county police years ago to get the ballistics results on file, in the event it was somehow lost or stolen, and used in a crime for tracing purposes.  My revolver was already on file, since it had be stolen once and recovered.  Used to keep the make, model and manufacturer numbers on a laminated card in my wallet in the event they disappeared.

The P38 is not on file, however. :whistle:  One never knows...  :ph34r:

Razgovory