Elementary school shooting reported in Newtown, Conn.

Started by garbon, December 14, 2012, 11:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on December 17, 2012, 10:18:57 AM
Jesus fuck, I should've finished my morning cup of coffee before posting.  Misread one word, and all of Languish's amateur psychologists will psychoanalyze you to death.

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

In Virginia it's called a "voluntary surrender for adoption", which is permanent, and can be done for essentially any reason. You can also put a child temporarily in foster care here, but you have to demonstrate there is some temporary family crisis that justifies it. But if you are willing to permanently cease parental rights there is no such requirement.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 17, 2012, 10:18:37 AM
You're being Assburgerish about it.  RED FLAG RED FLAG
:hmm: :o  I think I'm going to regret snapping at Valmy now. :unsure:

merithyn

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 17, 2012, 10:19:52 AM
In Virginia it's called a "voluntary surrender for adoption", which is permanent, and can be done for essentially any reason. You can also put a child temporarily in foster care here, but you have to demonstrate there is some temporary family crisis that justifies it. But if you are willing to permanently cease parental rights there is no such requirement.

I'll let my friend know. I'm not sure the mom wants to lose her son completely; she just wants to get him help.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2012, 10:17:30 AM
Because it was a throw-away and we're still talking about it. -_-

Because you started talking to me about it :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2012, 10:27:35 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2012, 10:17:30 AM
Because it was a throw-away and we're still talking about it. -_-

Because you started talking to me about it :P

I don't care who started it! I'm ending it! :ultra:

Garbon, go to your room. Valmy, out in the backyard. You can both come back to the kitchen once you've figured out how to place nicely together again. Now scoot!

Valmy

Jesus fuck, I should've finished my morning cup of coffee before posting.  Misread one word, and all of Languish's amateur psychologists will psychoanalyze you to death.

Hah!  I knew he had simply misread the word! :yeah:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2012, 10:29:23 AM

Hah!  I knew he had simply misread the word! :yeah:

:ultra: :ultra: :ultra:

BACKYARD!!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: merithyn on December 17, 2012, 10:26:02 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 17, 2012, 10:19:52 AM

I'll let my friend know. I'm not sure the mom wants to lose her son completely; she just wants to get him help.

Well right...most people don't. Some States are going to have better capacity for child treatment than others, here in VA I have known of several people who turned their kids over because the kid was not well. One family that I may have mentioned earlier in this thread had a MR/DD child who never actually acted on it, but was making inappropriate sexual advances and comments towards girls. (His intelligence was diminished but his sex drive was that of a normal teenager.) They were able to have him in a group home for 3-4 years during his teenage years, then took him back as an adult, then put him in a group home permanently later on due to other issues.

Obviously, if there is no available beds, you can't avail yourself of that option. But I wanted to make it clear there is not actually a scenario where you are forced to keep a child you don't want, who might even be dangerous, just because there is no available treatment or the State won't take him for treatment.

Most States try to steer you in other directions, in Virginia there is mandatory counseling and they usually want to try temporary foster care (I believe you actually have to pay child support during temporary foster care) before they'll do the full legal surrender. But a parent intent on surrendering their child will eventually get to the point where they can file that form and go before a judge and then it's permanent.

CountDeMoney

Thinking about it, I don't know how that community is going to tolerate keeping that school, at least in its present form.  They're going to have to raze it, or at least shut the one side of it down permanently, or demolish the building the classrooms were in.

Caliga

Why not?  Isn't Columbine High School still in use?  Don't let the bad guys win, man.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Caliga on December 17, 2012, 11:02:20 AM
Why not?  Isn't Columbine High School still in use?  Don't let the bad guys win, man.

Yes, but they razed the library where almost all the murders happened, and converted it into a memorial atrium and rebuilt the library as a separate building on campus.

CountDeMoney

The Amish bulldozed their school from the 2008 shooting as well.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi