Elementary school shooting reported in Newtown, Conn.

Started by garbon, December 14, 2012, 11:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2012, 09:42:49 AM
Well yes a psychologist and psychiatrist work together. It was a little awkward when I dropped my psychiatrist but kept my psychologist as both worked in the same 3-person practice. -_-
So tell me about your mother, garbon.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2012, 09:40:38 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2012, 09:38:06 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 17, 2012, 09:07:11 AM
:huh: Mono, in US, even home schools have a full time psychiatrist.  Those prescriptions for ADD medicine don't write themselves.

Psychiatrist /= psychologist.  The lady who got gunned down did not have prescription writing ability.

D was clearly making a joke.

What was the joke?  That he is unable to read?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 17, 2012, 09:34:47 AM

It depends on where you want them, if you say your kid has a mental or behavioral problem and needs treatment, all of the 50 states, to my knowledge, have quasi-public institutions that handle these cases. In the 70s/80s the trend started where you moved away from State institutions aside from basically the criminally insane and the extremely hard to handle cases (in Virginia State mental hospitals are over 50% filled with people a court has deemed not guilty of a crime by reason of insanity.)

In the place of the old system of State ran "reform schools" and etc, you have adult group homes, child group homes etc. They are ran by quasi-public "companies" that are private/for-profit usually but heavily government ran (similar to the utility company model.) These companies do not require any legal commitment for a parent to house a problem child. But they do have limited beds, so you might end up on a waiting list. Usually these entities will accept the child and that acceptance makes the parents able to receive at least part of the funding from Federal sources.

Now if you have a problem child and you do not want to wait on a bed to open up, or in the rare cases the private entity simply says they are not interested or do not think your child belongs there, you can send them to one of the group homes totally outside the State system. These however are usually unsubsidized by State & Federal government and costs for annual treatment are in the tens of thousands.

Budget is a major factor. Valmy is right. At least in Illinois, it's nearly impossible to have your child "committed" to a home unless they've hurt someone or otherwise broke the law.

A friend of mine was just telling us this morning about his friend's son who is in a rehabilitation home up in Chicago and has been for the last six months or so. The boy, now 16 years old, has threatened to kill his mother multiple times, has drawn a knife on her, and has beat her up. They are releasing him due to budgetary concerns. Because he's a minor, she's required to take him back in. (The dad is nowhere to be found.) If he ends up on the street because she refused him, she would be arrested for child endangerment. If he runs away, she can let it go after she reports it, but if she shuts him out, it's a felony.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2012, 09:46:39 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2012, 09:40:38 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2012, 09:38:06 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 17, 2012, 09:07:11 AM
:huh: Mono, in US, even home schools have a full time psychiatrist.  Those prescriptions for ADD medicine don't write themselves.

Psychiatrist /= psychologist.  The lady who got gunned down did not have prescription writing ability.

D was clearly making a joke.

What was the joke?  That he is unable to read?

His joke about how everyone is over-medicated by psychiatrists.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on December 17, 2012, 09:46:30 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2012, 09:42:49 AM
Well yes a psychologist and psychiatrist work together. It was a little awkward when I dropped my psychiatrist but kept my psychologist as both worked in the same 3-person practice. -_-
So tell me about your mother, garbon.

Thankfully I didn't see anyone carrying on with such bullshit as psychodynamic theory. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Freud was one of the biggest quacks in all of history... right up there with Lysenko. :bowler:

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 17, 2012, 10:01:07 AM
Freud was one of the biggest quacks in all of history... right up there with Lysenko. :bowler:

Eh I don't think that is fair.  I mean he was wrong and alot of his ideas seem idiotic today but he was the first guy in the field.  You got to start somewhere.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2012, 09:58:37 AM

Well obviously.  I just did not get why that joke was being made about a psyhologist so I thought maybe he had read 'psychologist' and thought 'psychiatrist'.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2012, 10:11:16 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2012, 09:58:37 AM

Well obviously.  I just did not get why that joke was being made about a psyhologist so I thought maybe he had read 'psychologist' and thought 'psychiatrist'.

I'm not sure why you are getting so worked up about D's throwaway (and admittedly crappy) lines. :huh:

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2012, 10:12:28 AM
I'm not sure why you are getting so worked up about D's throwaway (and admittedly crappy) lines. :huh:

How am I getting worked up?  I just thought I was making a simple post correcting him.

garbon

Because it was a throw-away and we're still talking about it. -_-

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: merithyn on December 17, 2012, 09:50:23 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 17, 2012, 09:34:47 AM

It depends on where you want them, if you say your kid has a mental or behavioral problem and needs treatment, all of the 50 states, to my knowledge, have quasi-public institutions that handle these cases. In the 70s/80s the trend started where you moved away from State institutions aside from basically the criminally insane and the extremely hard to handle cases (in Virginia State mental hospitals are over 50% filled with people a court has deemed not guilty of a crime by reason of insanity.)

In the place of the old system of State ran "reform schools" and etc, you have adult group homes, child group homes etc. They are ran by quasi-public "companies" that are private/for-profit usually but heavily government ran (similar to the utility company model.) These companies do not require any legal commitment for a parent to house a problem child. But they do have limited beds, so you might end up on a waiting list. Usually these entities will accept the child and that acceptance makes the parents able to receive at least part of the funding from Federal sources.

Now if you have a problem child and you do not want to wait on a bed to open up, or in the rare cases the private entity simply says they are not interested or do not think your child belongs there, you can send them to one of the group homes totally outside the State system. These however are usually unsubsidized by State & Federal government and costs for annual treatment are in the tens of thousands.

Budget is a major factor. Valmy is right. At least in Illinois, it's nearly impossible to have your child "committed" to a home unless they've hurt someone or otherwise broke the law.

A friend of mine was just telling us this morning about his friend's son who is in a rehabilitation home up in Chicago and has been for the last six months or so. The boy, now 16 years old, has threatened to kill his mother multiple times, has drawn a knife on her, and has beat her up. They are releasing him due to budgetary concerns. Because he's a minor, she's required to take him back in. (The dad is nowhere to be found.) If he ends up on the street because she refused him, she would be arrested for child endangerment. If he runs away, she can let it go after she reports it, but if she shuts him out, it's a felony.

That's not quite correct, in any state in the country you can call the equivalent of child protective services and proclaim yourself an unfit parent and put the kid in the foster system. You may not be able to get the kid into a treatment program (psychiatric or otherwise) that they need, but you can always legally abandon a child.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2012, 10:15:26 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2012, 10:12:28 AM

How am I getting worked up?  I just thought I was making a simple post correcting him.

You're being Assburgerish about it.  RED FLAG RED FLAG

DGuller

Jesus fuck, I should've finished my morning cup of coffee before posting.  Misread one word, and all of Languish's amateur psychologists will psychoanalyze you to death.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2012, 10:15:26 AM
CALM DOWN GODDAMMIT. :(