News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What makes a consevative a conservative?

Started by Razgovory, December 07, 2012, 01:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

:rolleyes:  Keep forgetting it's impossible to have an objective conversation with you.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2012, 07:53:06 PM
:huh:  It's not a command Hierarchy, it's one of social class.  Donald trump can't tell you what to do, but he does live better then you and with money comes more power and status.

It's Marxist agitprop.  The fact that the maitre d' (sp?) at Chez Snob and the head of fundraising at the Metropolitan Opera both kiss Donald's ass is due to Donald throwing money around; not because he's a member of a group that is granted special privileges.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2012, 07:29:37 PM

Your article writer is conflating economic inequality and social inequality.  That's moranic.

A common fallacy of the left, though perhaps more understandable in, and applicable to, 19 and early 20 century Europe.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on December 07, 2012, 09:51:43 PM

A common fallacy of the left, though perhaps more understandable in, and applicable to, 19 and early 20 century Europe.

Right.  I thought Raz's buddy had a good point about conservatism being a defense of the privileges of the aristocracy.  The Catholic Church fits well too.  Then this nonsense.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2012, 08:42:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2012, 07:53:06 PM
:huh:  It's not a command Hierarchy, it's one of social class.  Donald trump can't tell you what to do, but he does live better then you and with money comes more power and status.

It's Marxist agitprop.  The fact that the maitre d' (sp?) at Chez Snob and the head of fundraising at the Metropolitan Opera both kiss Donald's ass is due to Donald throwing money around; not because he's a member of a group that is granted special privileges.

It doesn't require specified granted privileges, just being the increased status, or do you believe we really live in a classless society?  I'm not sure where you get the idea that being upper class means you have to have certain privileges set in stone.  I imagine Trump does have command authority in his own company though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 07, 2012, 05:24:16 PM

Oh please.

OK, I can accept the argument that he may not have been evil, just stupid. Though, given his personal behavior I'll add con-man to acceptable answers.

I don't attack the man or his intentions I attack his ideas.

OK, I attack the man as well, with the relationship morals of newt gingrich and mastered the height of parental hypocracy by shipping multiple byblows to a foundling hospital only to later write a book on parenting. The thing is that his personal depravity doesn't necessarily negate his malevolent ideas.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on December 07, 2012, 09:51:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2012, 07:29:37 PM

Your article writer is conflating economic inequality and social inequality.  That's moranic.

And a common fallacy of the right is to ignore the connection between the two.  Since people are slaves to basic material needs at the very least, economic inequality in practice translates to social inequality.

DGuller

In American context, when someone pounds his chest and proclaims himself a staunch conservative, what it translates to is being contrarian to common sense, but only when common sense is actually largely on point.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on December 08, 2012, 12:10:24 AM
It doesn't require specified granted privileges, just being the increased status, or do you believe we really live in a classless society?  I'm not sure where you get the idea that being upper class means you have to have certain privileges set in stone.  I imagine Trump does have command authority in his own company though.

Most of these are true statements.  Now the trick is to tie them back into the the original thesis that conservatism is the defense of privilege.

A good restaurant table and jumping the line are not privileges reserved for a certain group.  Anybody who slips the maitre d' a c-note will get the same treatment.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on December 08, 2012, 12:53:49 AM
And a common fallacy of the right is to ignore the connection between the two.

No it's not.

DGuller

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on December 08, 2012, 03:10:13 AM
It is.

You're making stuff up.  You will be unable to find an example of a person, conservative or otherwise, who claims that there is zero connection between wealth and status, or treatment, or popularity, or fame, or whatever.

Your retort to dps sounded really cool when you typed it but it has zero basis in fact.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2012, 03:41:54 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 08, 2012, 03:10:13 AM
It is.

You're making stuff up.  You will be unable to find an example of a person, conservative or otherwise, who claims that there is zero connection between wealth and status, or treatment, or popularity, or fame, or whatever.

Your retort to dps sounded really cool when you typed it but it has zero basis in fact.
If it sounded cool, I'm glad.  However, that wasn't my primary intention behind it.

Admiral Yi

Nice.  Defend your point or concede it.  Fish or cut bait.