News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What makes a consevative a conservative?

Started by Razgovory, December 07, 2012, 01:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Serious and honest to God question.  There are hundreds of conservative parties or right-wing parties in the world, how ever they are often at odds with one another and believe different things.  What is the underlying idea of idea behind them all?  What is the conservatism at it's most basic?  I'm using Right-wing and Conservative interchangeably here, though I'm not sure if that's correct.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I honestly have no idea.  The "conservatives" in the US have seemed pretty radical actually in the last couple decades.  Not necessarily a bad thing but certainly not "conservative" by any stretch.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2012, 01:55:45 AM
What is the conservatism at it's most basic?

Have I taught you people nothing in the decade plus I have been here? :frusty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Burke
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

I'm using Right-wing and Conservative interchangeably here, though I'm not sure if that's correct.

It is not.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2012, 02:16:28 AM
What is the conservatism at it's most basic?

Have I taught you people nothing in the decade plus I have been here? :frusty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Burke

:lol:  No seriously.  There are many right-wing movements around the world that nothing to do with Burke.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

They don't like change unless its back towards the way things were in their imagined good old days.
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Cant answer directly Raz. I used to be solidly to the right. Not wackadoddle of the nowadays right. Half way between center and wackadoodle.  (Reagan era I guess) I dont know.

I dont relate to the GOP of today. I see myself as center, listing 5 degrees to the left now.

I am a civil servant. IMO only Dems= Big Govmint, which to me equates to job security.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

IDK.

Especially in Europe. Shouldn't Social Democracy be labelled as "conservative" after 50 years of it's unhindered rule?

The Brain

The problem is that people will never pick labels that actually describe their opinions. Conservatives don't think that "Young Earthers" will win them elections, and Lefties don't like "Communist scum". Therefore we get these vague terms with many meanings.

Razgovory

Wikipedia had an interesting answer, though I'm not sure if I buy it.  Would make sense though.

There have been a lot of conservatives through out history, some bad some not so bad.  I'm wondering what the common string is between Sulla and Eisenhower, Churchill and Hitler.

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2012, 03:57:43 AM
Wikipedia had an interesting answer, though I'm not sure if I buy it.  Would make sense though.

There have been a lot of conservatives through out history, some bad some not so bad.  I'm wondering what the common string is between Sulla and Eisenhower, Churchill and Hitler.

You're not seriously claiming that Hitler was a conservative?

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on December 07, 2012, 03:59:16 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2012, 03:57:43 AM

You're not seriously claiming that Hitler was a conservative?

Hitler was not a conservative in any way what so ever, he was a radical idealist or a radical reactionary on virtually every issue. There was virtually nothing about German Weimar society that he approved of. Everything must be changed and either returned to some magical state (often invented by hitler and rosenberg) in the past or advanced to a idealized future.

But then again, that is probably the point you were trying to make. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Richard Hakluyt

In the context of this conversation I'd suggest that the converse of "conservative" is "radical". Hitler was clearly a radical.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2012, 02:06:01 AM
I honestly have no idea.  The "conservatives" in the US have seemed pretty radical actually in the last couple decades.  Not necessarily a bad thing but certainly not "conservative" by any stretch.

The really funny thing here is that radical and conservative are opposites. The thing is that there are many different axis in politics, many more than the right left axis of the romantic revolutionaries (or even the digital marxian system of 100% revolutionary vs 100% reactionary with the reactionaries being implicitly supported by the bourgeois majority in the middle) or even the two axis system of your online libertarian "Are you a libertarian?" internet quiz. The thing is we too easily in the marxian manner ascribe opposites to opponents. It's almost as if the two parties, one demanding that we buy apples for lunch and the other demanding we buy oranges, cause us to think that apples and oranges are opposites.

Words have meaning and these meanings have consequences. First, regarding Burke. Burke was not a conservative he was a liberal in the classical sense. He coins the term and defines it not in order to preserve (or conserve as the origin of the term suggests) but rather to establish a methodology by which the liberal can dismantle authoritarian society and replace it with an improved ideal without happening to fall into revolution and terror as he saw in France. A Burkeian Conservative is a Liberal that doesn't overthrow a traditional institution because it is bad, but because he can replace it with something better.

But, to lean on Burke in defining the term. A conservative is somebody who places the burden of proof on the person advocating for reform and in the case of uncertainty defaults to the existing institution, even if he thinks it is flawed.

The opposite of Conservative is Radical, though a Radical is often also somebody who has accepted that the case for change has been made.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.