News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rubio and Roberston on Young Earth

Started by garbon, December 04, 2012, 09:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on December 04, 2012, 02:10:31 PM
The problem is that he is willing to pander to special interests by giving credit to pseudoscience and conspiracy theory. Is this the kind of man you want with the nuclear trigger?

As I've stated, it doesn't bother me.  Not any more than Obama's answer to a similar question in 2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCmBgWdoOoE&feature=player_embedded#!  starts at 2:20
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 02:16:42 PM
The problem is that he is willing to pander to special interests by giving credit to pseudoscience and conspiracy theory. Is this the kind of man you want with the nuclear trigger?

As I've stated, it doesn't bother me.  Not any more than Obama's answer to a similar question in 2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCmBgWdoOoE&feature=player_embedded#!  starts at 2:20

Obama's answer is a lot better. No claims of "I'm not a scientist!" Instead, Obama firmly placed biblical literalism as a discussion for Christian theology.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 02:25:35 PM

Obama's answer is a lot better. No claims of "I'm not a scientist!" Instead, Obama firmly placed biblical literalism as a discussion for Christian theology.

It's equally vague.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Rubio is a United States Senator serving on Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, including the subcomittees covering science and space, and communciations, technology and the internet among others.  He is one of a very small, select group of people who determine the science policy of the United States.  Thus, his apparent willingness to give credit to theories utterly at odds with basic facts known through science is a matter of general public concern.  Kind of like Ford's line about there being no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe casting doubt on his competence to manage foreign policy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 02:31:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 02:25:35 PM

It's equally vague.

Sorry but it isn't. Much clearer what Obama's actual feeling is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 02:57:04 PM
Sorry but it isn't. Much clearer what Obama's actual feeling is.

So anything else you don't like about Rubio beyond this?

garbon

Rubio isn't really even on my radar yet, why do you ask?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 04, 2012, 02:45:53 PM
Rubio is a United States Senator serving on Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, including the subcomittees covering science and space, and communciations, technology and the internet among others.  He is one of a very small, select group of people who determine the science policy of the United States.  Thus, his apparent willingness to give credit to theories utterly at odds with basic facts known through science is a matter of general public concern.

Lucky for us he's not as goofy as the rest of the Republicans on the Space, Science and Technology Subcommittee.

sbr

I think that becomes a relevant question considering he for a on that committee.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 03:25:19 PM
Rubio isn't really even on my radar yet, why do you ask?

Just a little hunch back at the office.

derspiess

garbon

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 04, 2012, 02:45:53 PM
Rubio is a United States Senator serving on Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, including the subcomittees covering science and space, and communciations, technology and the internet among others.  He is one of a very small, select group of people who determine the science policy of the United States.  Thus, his apparent willingness to give credit to theories utterly at odds with basic facts known through science is a matter of general public concern.  Kind of like Ford's line about there being no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe casting doubt on his competence to manage foreign policy.

Well, no.  Ford's statement wasn't a matter of religious conviction.

Lots of religious faiths believe in lots of things that are at odds with our scientific understanding of things.  Catholics believe that the Eucharist transforms into the body of Christ.  Mormons believe that the Native Indians are the descendents of the 13th tribe of Israel.  But those beliefs, on their own, don't or shouldn't disqualify a Catholic from helping to decide food policy, or a Mormon trying to decide on archaeological issues.

Don't get me wrong - I have my undergrad in geology.  I well appreciate that the earth is 4.5 billion years old.  But let's not get too carried away in insulting the faith of others.

As an aside - I friend of mine in undergrad was a fundamentalist, and liked to argue about evolution with people.  I tried to take a different tact one night, and was trying to argue zircon dating.  He refused to discuss it, because he didn't "know very much about" that stuff, and couldn't therefore rebut my argument before I even started. :lol:

Still a nice guy though.  He just liked to be contrary.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 03:50:03 PMThey lean Democrat, but don't let that stop you.

"They lean Democrat and are thoroughly biased and thus should be ignored" or "they lean Democrat but are a reputable source of numbers"?