News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rubio and Roberston on Young Earth

Started by garbon, December 04, 2012, 09:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on December 04, 2012, 03:55:09 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 03:50:03 PMThey lean Democrat, but don't let that stop you.

"They lean Democrat and are thoroughly biased and thus should be ignored" or "they lean Democrat but are a reputable source of numbers"?

Hey, you just asked if they were partisan.  I'd say somewhere in between but I'm sure you already have your mind made up.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on December 04, 2012, 03:55:09 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 03:50:03 PMThey lean Democrat, but don't let that stop you.

"They lean Democrat and are thoroughly biased and thus should be ignored" or "they lean Democrat but are a reputable source of numbers"?

It's "they provide information I don't want to hear, so they lean Democratic and thus can safety be ignored."  Anyway, this all pales in comparison to the terrible crimes of Susan Rice.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 04:01:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 03:52:00 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 03:48:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 03:25:19 PM
Rubio isn't really even on my radar yet, why do you ask?

Just a little hunch back at the office.

:huh:

Police Squad joke.  Hoping Seedy recognizes it.

So you're ignoring my question though I answered yours? -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 04:03:00 PMHey, you just asked if they were partisan.  I'd say somewhere in between but I'm sure you already have your mind made up.

:lol: :console:

It was a genuine question. I have no idea about PPP whatsoever.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 04:12:01 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 04:01:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 03:52:00 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 03:48:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 03:25:19 PM
Rubio isn't really even on my radar yet, why do you ask?

Just a little hunch back at the office.

:huh:

Police Squad joke.  Hoping Seedy recognizes it.

So you're ignoring my question though I answered yours? -_-

Seriously.  It was just a hunch that you already had something against Rubio. 

FWIW I had a few doubts about him as a potential Romney VP now that we're past the election I think he may be 2016 Prez material. 

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on December 04, 2012, 04:19:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 04:03:00 PMHey, you just asked if they were partisan.  I'd say somewhere in between but I'm sure you already have your mind made up.

:lol: :console:

It was a genuine question. I have no idea about PPP whatsoever.

Well you usually shoot first & ask questions later when it comes to US politics.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 04:26:55 PMWell you usually shoot first & ask questions later when it comes to US politics.

That's like the pot calling alcohol a drug.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on December 04, 2012, 04:29:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 04:26:55 PMWell you usually shoot first & ask questions later when it comes to US politics.

:yawn:  Damn, I'm tired.  Time to get out the yerba mate.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 04:26:21 PM
Seriously.  It was just a hunch that you already had something against Rubio. 

FWIW I had a few doubts about him as a potential Romney VP now that we're past the election I think he may be 2016 Prez material. 

Oh no. Nothing against him and generally the news I have seen on him has been positive - so perhaps why this bad press caught my eye.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 04:30:39 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 04, 2012, 04:29:18 PM

:yawn:  Damn, I'm tired.  Time to get out the yerba mate.

That's hippie speak.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 04:30:39 PM:yawn:  Damn, I'm tired.  Time to get out the yerba mate.

What's that? A band like your Grateful Dead or something?

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 02:16:42 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 04, 2012, 02:10:31 PM
The problem is that he is willing to pander to special interests by giving credit to pseudoscience and conspiracy theory. Is this the kind of man you want with the nuclear trigger?

As I've stated, it doesn't bother me.  Not any more than Obama's answer to a similar question in 2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCmBgWdoOoE&feature=player_embedded#!  starts at 2:20

one little youtube trick is to right click on the progress marker when the video reaches the part you want to show and pick the option that copys the url of the video at that point.. like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hCmBgWdoOoE#t=140s

Obama references the old Day Age Creationist view of the universe. Basically the argument goes that the days of creation were not as long as modern solar days. The best argument for this is the observation that the Sun wasn't created until after light and not on day 1. The day age issue here is beside the point. Obama agreed (at least implicitely) that the universe was at least 13 billion years old, Rubio did not. Rubio was unable to speak truth to pulpit and clearly state that the universe is more than 13 billion years old. I am naturally assuming that he knows this, if he doesn't know this there is even more reason to criticize him.

Personally I think that republican should take the same tack the creationists do in school districts where evolution is on the exam and needed to get into college. Answer the question in this manner "The scientific consensus is....." and give the right answer. I know this is merely shifting the emphasis but what Rubio was trying to achieve is to not insult Robertson and his ilk by telling them that they are stupid; he can achieve that by merely pointing out that NASA thinks Robertson and his ilk are stupid.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on December 04, 2012, 04:56:10 PM
Personally I think that republican should take the same tack the creationists do in school districts where evolution is on the exam and needed to get into college. Answer the question in this manner "The scientific consensus is....." and give the right answer. I know this is merely shifting the emphasis but what Rubio was trying to achieve is to not insult Robertson and his ilk by telling them that they are stupid; he can achieve that by merely pointing out that NASA thinks Robertson and his ilk are stupid.

Umm but Robertson was the one bashing Young Earth Creationists.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on December 04, 2012, 04:56:02 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 04:30:39 PM:yawn:  Damn, I'm tired.  Time to get out the yerba mate.

What's that? A band like your Grateful Dead or something?

A habit I picked up in South America :ph34r: