News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rubio and Roberston on Young Earth

Started by garbon, December 04, 2012, 09:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Couldn't say. I haven't discussed it with them.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

I have no idea if my inlaws are creationists. Apparently, Catholicism isn't officially invested in that particular form of wilful stupidity.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: Maximus on December 04, 2012, 05:30:33 PM
Quote from: Caliga on December 04, 2012, 01:58:32 PM
I think my mother in law believes it. :ph34r:
My entire family believes it.

My GF's family believes it. My father in law loves The Big Bang theory show, I don't understand how he can.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 04, 2012, 06:23:19 PM

My GF's family believes it. My father in law loves The Big Bang theory show, I don't understand how he can.

He identifies with Penny? :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Term "Big Bang" was used in an effort to discredit the theory, by likening it to Creationism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

I checked and I was wrong... Princesca's mom does believe in evolution and doesn't believe in the young Earth, etc.  She is in the "evolution is real but God created it" camp.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2012, 06:30:03 PM

He identifies with Penny? :D

Maybe, I should ask him. He really likes Sheldon.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on December 04, 2012, 03:54:53 PM
Well, no.  Ford's statement wasn't a matter of religious conviction.

Lots of religious faiths believe in lots of things that are at odds with our scientific understanding of things.  Catholics believe that the Eucharist transforms into the body of Christ.  Mormons believe that the Native Indians are the descendents of the 13th tribe of Israel.  But those beliefs, on their own, don't or shouldn't disqualify a Catholic from helping to decide food policy, or a Mormon trying to decide on archaeological issues.

Don't get me wrong - I have my undergrad in geology.  I well appreciate that the earth is 4.5 billion years old.  But let's not get too carried away in insulting the faith of others.

BB - generally I am on your side on this issue as against the Dawkinsians like Martinus and Viking.
But there are limits.  One may have a religious conviction that heretics should be punished by death; such a belief no matter how solidly based in faith and truly believed ought to be a disqualification for say the position of Attorney General.
This issue isn't quite as extreme - I wouldn't say that Young Earthism should disqualify one from the legislature, although personally it would be close to dealbreaker for me as a voter.  But such a person has no business on a science-related committee.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

It's all a false dichotomy anyway.  There is no conflict between the story of the origin of Earth as presented in the Bible and the Theory of Evolution.

merithyn

Quote from: dps on December 04, 2012, 08:40:21 PM
It's all a false dichotomy anyway.  There is no conflict between the story of the origin of Earth as presented in the Bible and the Theory of Evolution.

I agree. :)

I fall into the category of: God made the Big Bang.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 04:01:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 03:52:00 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 03:48:07 PM
Just a little hunch back at the office.

:huh:

Police Squad joke.  Hoping Seedy recognizes it.

We would've been here sooner, but your husband wasn't dead yet.

Ed Anger

You assholes are gonna make me watch those again.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2012, 09:13:01 PM
Quote from: dps on December 04, 2012, 08:40:21 PM
I agree. :)

I fall into the category of: God made the Big Bang.
Prepare to have your asshole ripped by Viking.  That guy is crazy as fuck when it comes to anyone, anywhere believing in the existance of a god.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.