Would you vote for a 3% tax hike on your income?

Started by merithyn, November 27, 2012, 09:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the OP

Yes, definitely
11 (33.3%)
Yes, but with reservations
6 (18.2%)
Possibly, if the referendum were worded the right way
3 (9.1%)
No, but with reservations
4 (12.1%)
No, absolutely not
9 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on November 27, 2012, 10:06:06 AM
This isn't a question to them. This is a question to Languish. The assumption is that in California, people aren't, as a whole, as educated or intelligent, as the average of Languish. I wondered what Languish, under those assumptions, would vote to do.

Okay, I'd thought it was somewhat related to our discussion.

Quote from: merithyn on November 27, 2012, 10:06:06 AMIn addition, this is a national referendum, not a state one. That, alone, can often sway a person if they think that they're shouldering the burden with everyone instead of just a few.

Well on a state one you'd be dialing down state debt, on a national one you'd be dialing down national debt.  Still shouldering it with everyone in your group.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Nope. I don't agree with politicians abdicating responsibility by holding referendums on tax policy.

As others have pointed out you can't look at these things in isolation. I'd want to see the whole of the plan not just a single aspect before I judged it.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2012, 10:09:17 AM
Do tax increases typically work that way?

Ok so if I want to fight the national debt and deficit I should...what?  Be against tax increases and spending cuts?

I do not understand what you are getting at here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on November 27, 2012, 10:14:27 AM
Nope. I don't agree with politicians abdicating responsibility by holding referendums on tax policy.

Well in California they have to do all sorts of things via referendum.  We do not even do this in Texas and certainly not at the national level.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 27, 2012, 10:10:14 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 27, 2012, 10:09:08 AM
By that logic, where would you stop raising taxes on yourself?

A 3% increase in tax revenues isn't going to get us anywhere.

So what's your recomendation?  National bankruptcy or massive inflation?

If the options are: a) country going broke, or b) country going broke with me having less money in my pocket in the meantime

I'm going for option b every time.

Actually, I meant option a. :blush:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on November 27, 2012, 10:15:51 AM
Quote from: Gups on November 27, 2012, 10:14:27 AM

Well in California they have to do all sorts of things via referendum.  We do not even do this in Texas and certainly not at the national level.

I know.

Cali's experience with referenda is the main reason why I'm against them for anything other than major constitutional issues.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 27, 2012, 10:14:50 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2012, 10:09:17 AM
Do tax increases typically work that way?

Ok so if I want to fight the national debt and deficit I should...what?  Be against tax increases and spending cuts?

I do not understand what you are getting at here.

My point was that I don't know if tax hikes are typically earmarked that way ("all new money gathered must go to decreasing debt") though I know that some of the Cali ones had that they money had to education etc.

Really my point was just that you have to bite the bullet or not per Meri's scenario. You can't add in the qualifiers you'd like such as "if it'll get rid of the debt" or "if they'll be earmarked for decreasing debt" because I don't think that's real life. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on November 27, 2012, 10:16:11 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 27, 2012, 10:10:14 AM
By that logic, where would you stop raising taxes on yourself?

So what's your recomendation?  National bankruptcy or massive inflation?

If the options are: a) country going broke, or b) country going broke with me having less money in my pocket in the meantime

I'm going for option b every time.

Actually, I meant option a. :blush:

:lol:

Josephus

For sure. As long as there's no more spending cuts.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Sure, why not. 32 to 35%, what's the difference?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Unlike many of my fellow Americans, I do not possess a feral aversion to the concept of taxes and the irrational fear that somehow it would cast me into poverty, particularly 3%.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 27, 2012, 10:24:01 AM
Sure, why not. 32 to 35%, what's the difference?

3%

Sheesh kids these days can't even do basic math any more. :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 27, 2012, 10:28:56 AM
Unlike many of my fellow Americans, I do not possess a feral aversion to the concept of taxes and the irrational fear that somehow it would cast me into poverty, particularly 3%.

3% of what, dearie?

Martinus

I may be wrong but I think merri meant an increase of personal income tax by 3 percentage points. This would increase tax revenues by much more than 3%.

dps

Quote from: merithyn on November 27, 2012, 09:55:24 AM
Assume that the state of your country is on par with the US. Things are getting back on track, but very, very slowly. Job growth is questionable, a significant portion of the population are struggling to get the bare necessaities, but in general, most people are working and doing okay. Not great, but okay. EDIT: There is a growing national debt with little chance at getting rid of it - or even slowing it down - in the foreseeable future under the current circumstances.

A national referendum comes down the pipe for a 3% income tax increase for every family making at least 25% above the poverty line. No loop holes, no outs for anyone. A straight 3% increase for everyone regardless of where the income came from, guaranteeing that every single family within a moderate distance from poverty would be hit with the exact same increase.

Would you vote for it?

This isn't the same question as that posed in the thread title.