Would you vote for a 3% tax hike on your income?

Started by merithyn, November 27, 2012, 09:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the OP

Yes, definitely
11 (33.3%)
Yes, but with reservations
6 (18.2%)
Possibly, if the referendum were worded the right way
3 (9.1%)
No, but with reservations
4 (12.1%)
No, absolutely not
9 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

merithyn

Assume that the state of your country is on par with the US. Things are getting back on track, but very, very slowly. Job growth is questionable, a significant portion of the population are struggling to get the bare necessaities, but in general, most people are working and doing okay. Not great, but okay. EDIT: There is a growing national debt with little chance at getting rid of it - or even slowing it down - in the foreseeable future under the current circumstances.

A national referendum comes down the pipe for a 3% income tax increase for every family making at least 25% above the poverty line. No loop holes, no outs for anyone. A straight 3% increase for everyone regardless of where the income came from, guaranteeing that every single family within a moderate distance from poverty would be hit with the exact same increase.

Would you vote for it?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Is there a huge national debt in this scenario?  Because that bit of info would be helpful in determining my vote.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on November 27, 2012, 09:58:42 AM
Is there a huge national debt in this scenario?  Because that bit of info would be helpful in determining my vote.

Yes. Again, on par with the US right now.

garbon

I don't see how this is different from the California proposition. You'd still have people influenced by the idea that the wealthy aren't paying their fair share even if everyone is hit by a mandatory 3% increase.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on November 27, 2012, 09:59:33 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 27, 2012, 09:58:42 AM

Yes. Again, on par with the US right now.

Then the more I think of it, I'd vote no unless there were strong spending cuts tied to the tax increase.  I don't trust politicians on either side to not get giddy with the additional revenue and simply "invest" it in some spending program.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

If it balanced the budget?  Oh hell yeah.  I mean I am going to pay for that debt someway eventually.  A small tax hike is pretty painless under these circumstances.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2012, 10:03:54 AM
Which, of course, wouldn't be the case. :huh:

Ok then.

If it went straight to the budget deficit and/or paying on the debt then yes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2012, 10:02:07 AM
I don't see how this is different from the California proposition. You'd still have people influenced by the idea that the wealthy aren't paying their fair share even if everyone is hit by a mandatory 3% increase.

This isn't a question to them. This is a question to Languish. The assumption is that in California, people aren't, as a whole, as educated or intelligent, as the average of Languish. I wondered what Languish, under those assumptions, would vote to do.

In addition, this is a national referendum, not a state one. That, alone, can often sway a person if they think that they're shouldering the burden with everyone instead of just a few.

Barrister

Even with a large national debt, probably not.  I'd look for spending cuts.

But with a large budget deficit?  Which means the national debt steadily increasing?  While wanting it tied to spending cuts, I could be convinced to increase taxes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 27, 2012, 10:04:32 AM

Ok then.

By that logic, where would you stop raising taxes on yourself?

A 3% increase in tax revenues isn't going to get us anywhere.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2012, 10:07:35 AM
Even with a large national debt, probably not.  I'd look for spending cuts.

But with a large budget deficit?  Which means the national debt steadily increasing?  While wanting it tied to spending cuts, I could be convinced to increase taxes.

Obviously I want both.  AUSTERITY NOW!

But just one or the other is better than nothing.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 27, 2012, 10:04:32 AM

Ok then.

Do tax increases typically work that way?

garbon

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on November 27, 2012, 10:09:08 AM
By that logic, where would you stop raising taxes on yourself?

A 3% increase in tax revenues isn't going to get us anywhere.

So what's your recomendation?  National bankruptcy or massive inflation?