Are you losing touch with the new generations?

Started by Martim Silva, November 22, 2012, 09:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: HVC on November 23, 2012, 12:08:38 AM
I haven't really felt out of touch with the younger generation, either because I'm in denial or not that old yet. What i have felt, as of late, is the feeling of something happening only a couple of years ago when really it was 10 plus years ago. It's an odd feeling.

(Though for me it's more like 1994. I subscribe to Stephen King's theory in the intro to the revised Dark Tower books that we kinda, sorta get stuck in the time when we were around 20.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

CdM is stuck in the time when he had a 29 inch waist. Honey, you have to learn to deal maturely with change.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 23, 2012, 12:05:28 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 22, 2012, 10:11:34 AM
And yeah, definetly.

I've seen some creative spellings of "definitely," but that takes the taco.  Sadly, I've also come to the realization that a lot of the current youth aren't even going to get that reference. :(

Flash Gordon is a great example.  Max von Sydow, Brian Blessed, and Timothy Dalton were all fairly big names at the time, but the only one kids now usually recognize is Dalton, and that's only because of the continuous publicity the Bond franchise gets.

Are you seriously dissing me, a non-native, for spelling, when you have Mr. American History Teacher Timmay around? :P

Brazen

I deliberately tell my colleagues about when there were only three TV stations and they closed down at 11pm, and the days before we had central heating or showers, and when we rented the TV and telephone, and shops were shut on Sundays and half-day Wednesdays...

Brazen

Then I tell them about the Britpop and indie groups I've seen live that no longer exist and it's like telling them I saw the Beatles.

Camerus

Yes, of course.  But then, 'twas ever thus, back to when Ughh first realized the young ones weren't listening to him on the sabre tooth tiger hunt.

Syt

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on November 23, 2012, 07:02:07 AM
Yes, of course.  But then, 'twas ever thus, back to when Ughh first realized the young ones weren't listening to him on the sabre tooth tiger hunt.

"You have no idea what life was like back then! Fire? We didn't even dream of it! You kids today with your newfangled flintstone speartips have it easy! You don't even know what REAL work is!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Quote from: Martim Silva on November 22, 2012, 09:17:19 AM
Have you ever found that some of your memories are ancient history to younger people?

Well, yes. I'm a parent. I thought that was part and parcel with the job. :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on November 23, 2012, 02:13:18 AM
CdM is stuck in the time when he had a 29 inch waist. Honey, you have to learn to deal maturely with change.

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Never.

I've earned the right to be crabby with young, stupid people.

The boomers said you can't trust anybody over 30.  Well, you can't listen to anybody under it, either.  Everybody's got ADD and Assburgers, with the critical thinking skills of last week's kitty litter.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 26, 2012, 01:32:18 PM

Never.

I've earned the right to be crabby with young, stupid people.

The boomers said you can't trust anybody over 30.  Well, you can't listen to anybody under it, either.  Everybody's got ADD and Assburgers, with the critical thinking skills of last week's kitty litter.

Goddamned right. Young people suck.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

If you think you need to earn the right to be crabby - you're doing it wrong.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.