News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Horrors of the upcoming Christmas season

Started by Ed Anger, August 26, 2012, 03:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I usually try to wait til a few days into December but since I had an empty house and plenty of time I put up the tree Saturday.  Looked depressing without lights so I put lights on it as well.  We've traditionally used those large round incandescent bulbs, but each year about a third of them seem to go bad.  I had just enough to cover the tree this year.  Will wait for the kids to be here before I put any ornaments on.  And I already have some stuff wrapped & under the tree.

I can get so much shit done without kids around.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 26, 2012, 02:56:49 PM
The site I linked says they're made with real wood.  :mad:

I think that is the "Classic" line.  At least thru last year they had a cheaper standard version that was all plastic.

I remember buying Hungry Hungry Hippos for Tommy a couple years ago.  I was happy I could get it for like $8 or whatever, but the thing fell apart after a couple weeks.  The game I had as a kid lasted through many years of abuse.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 26, 2012, 02:43:56 PM
Because the box is pink and the "Lego for Girls" playset themes reinforce patriarchal notions of what little girls like.  And it somehow sexualizes little girls :huh:

http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-lego-to-stop-selling-out-girls-liberatelego

The feminists have alot of nutters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on November 26, 2012, 02:55:12 PM
Quote from: katmai on November 26, 2012, 02:50:18 PM
Do they still make Lincoln logs? :unsure:

Yeah, plus a bunch of Chinese knock-offs.  IIRC the standard Lincoln Logs are now plastic :rolleyes:  You gotta spring for a premium set to, erm, get wood.
:hmm:  I think toys that give you wood are more appropriate for older children.

mongers

Quote from: katmai on November 26, 2012, 02:55:55 PM

Yeah, plus a bunch of Chinese knock-offs.  IIRC the standard Lincoln Logs are now plastic :rolleyes:  You gotta spring for a premium set to, erm, get wood.

God Dammit what is this shit!

Heah, I remember the consistently popular early toy was a building set made up of heavy stone-like building blocks and thick rubber squares/rectangles that were used for levels. 

And when we got older they could be flung with some force.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: merithyn on November 26, 2012, 01:10:32 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 26, 2012, 12:30:24 PM
Also, Power Wheels. You wife will panic when the kid hits warp speed down the road. Trust me.  :lol:

Que es? :unsure:

I don't habla beaner.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

You gotta be shitting me.  Well I don't know, my set of Lincoln logs looked like the were made in the 1960's.  I had a bunch of old toys.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 26, 2012, 12:24:34 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 26, 2012, 12:22:51 PM
Show her the cartoon. She'll be hooked. Try to avert you gaze like I do to avoid the brony rays.

The cartoon is not too bad at least.  Thomas the Tank Engine on the other hand :bleeding:

Though now David has moved onto this weird Canadian spelling show, Super Why.  I guess an Australian show is next.

Pray it is not The Wiggles.  :ph34r:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on November 26, 2012, 05:19:10 PM
Pray it is not The Wiggles.  :ph34r:

Or as my wife calls them, "The Australian AIDS Patients" :ph34r:

Those guys creep her the hell out, that's for sure.

Ed Anger

Speaking of horrors, the twins dislike Frosty the Snowman. They did not care for that show.

Thank god, I can't stand it either.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 26, 2012, 05:41:01 PM
Speaking of horrors, the twins dislike Frosty the Snowman. They did not care for that show.

Thank god, I can't stand it either.

Tommy's not a fan.  I liked it when I was a kid, but then again when you were a kid in the 70s & 80s you were desperate for any morsel they threw you in terms of Christmas specials.  I don't think it has aged very well. 

The Rankin-Bass stop-motion animation specials are timeless, of course.

Legbiter

I've managed to come this far without hearing even one Christmas song yet.  :showoff: Maintaining complete radio and tv silence did it.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

Quote from: Legbiter on November 26, 2012, 06:51:00 PM
I've managed to come this far without hearing even one Christmas song yet.  :showoff: Maintaining complete radio and tv silence did it.

I was in a store on Saturday and heard one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.