Are you losing touch with the new generations?

Started by Martim Silva, November 22, 2012, 09:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

Have you ever found that some of your memories are ancient history to younger people?

Recently, some young folks at the company (about 25-26 years or so) were discussing what was 'Flash Gordon'. Someone had mentioned that and they did not know to what the name referred to.

I intervened to explain part of what Gordon was, his struggle against Ming in Mongo, alongside Dale Arden and Dr. Zarkhov.

Heck, I even mentioned the later movie that was made famous by Queen's song (Me and my friends even skipped highschool to see it when it was on the cinemas). And googled some images in their PCs.

IT WAS AS IF I WAS SHOWING THEM A BYZANTINE ICON.  :huh:

They just had no close idea of what I was saying. They understood my explanations and now knew (generally) what it was, but still it was something that they'd never seen or known personally before. Their eyes were empty of (real) understanding.

Sometimes I feel really, really old.

Martinus

I try to keep in touch with the newer generations (mainly, by fucking them) but it is beginning to happen to me too.

How old are you, by the way?

Ideologue

Quote from: Martim Silva on November 22, 2012, 09:17:19 AM
Have you ever found that some of your memories are ancient history to younger people?

Recently, some young folks at the company (about 25-26 years or so) were discussing what was 'Flash Gordon'. Someone had mentioned that and they did not know to what the name referred to.

I intervened to explain part of what Gordon was, his struggle against Ming in Mongo, alongside Dale Arden and Dr. Zarkhov.

Heck, I even mentioned the later movie that was made famous by Queen's song (Me and my friends even skipped highschool to see it when it was on the cinemas). And googled some images in their PCs.

IT WAS AS IF I WAS SHOWING THEM A BYZANTINE ICON.  :huh:

They just had no close idea of what I was saying. They understood my explanations and now knew (generally) what it was, but still it was something that they'd never seen or known personally before. Their eyes were empty of (real) understanding.

Sometimes I feel really, really old.

If your dumb fuck coworkers don't know who Flash Gordon is, that sounds less like a being young problem than a being culturally illiterate problem.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Maladict

I mentioned to some friends that I sat behind Ben Johnson in the cinema the other day.
None of them had ever heard of him, and they're only a couple of years younger than me.

Syt

Remember the scene from Death Poof where stuntman Mike explains to the young chicks in the bar on which movies and tv series he worked? I recognized them all, while the girl next to me, ten years younger than me didn't know any of them.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2012, 09:51:25 AM
Remember the scene from Death Poof where stuntman Mike explains to the young chicks in the bar on which movies and tv series he worked? I recognized them all, while the girl next to me, ten years younger than me didn't know any of them.

:thumbsup:

Tamas

And yeah, definetly.

First of all, I feel an ancient rock for liking Star Wars.

Secondly, when an all around nice guy and like the current archetype 20-something geek tells me they'll "go to a wasabi bar, then a tea house, then maybe the *shitty metal band trying to play folk-metal* concert" my stomach turns.

PDH

Nope.  I flunk the new generation, that keeps me in touch.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Even with people a few years younger.
An American girl here loves some weird animal character I'd never seen before. I had no idea what it was for ages. Then I learned it was a pokemon. Nothing beyond 151 counts dammit! Everything after that was characterless and sucky!

Then with my students....PS1 is ancient history, before their time. They like this One Piece thing I've never seen.  And worst of all some like Star Wars....the new ones.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maladict on November 22, 2012, 09:47:41 AM
I mentioned to some friends that I sat behind Ben Johnson in the cinema the other day.
None of them had ever heard of him, and they're only a couple of years younger than me.

The playwright?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Martim Silva on November 22, 2012, 09:17:19 AM
No, not really.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Those rare occasions that I talk to young people I don't bother to register their replies so no, I've never felt ancient.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on November 22, 2012, 10:02:26 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2012, 09:51:25 AM

:thumbsup:

Just a good friend. I often forget that she's ten years younger than most on our group of friends, because she acts more mature than most girls her age.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Recently our family was discussing a tour we are going to take out to the Great Barrier Reef.  I said, "I hope its not a three hour tour".

My wife got it and groaned.  My boys looked at me in that way when they think the older generation is crazy.