News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Feminism

Started by merithyn, November 20, 2012, 11:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I don't know what I would do if I agreed with derspiess.  :hmm: I'll probably do some soul-searching.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on December 04, 2012, 01:51:52 PM
I don't know what I would do if I agreed with derspiess.  :hmm: I'll probably do some soul-searching.

There has to be something you agree on.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2012, 01:10:27 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 11:47:25 AM
Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2012, 11:19:46 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 11:05:33 AM

A while ago I came around to the position that prostitution should be legal, sequestered to certain areas and regulated.  It's just gonna happen whether you want it to or not.

Between that and the idea that there are laws about the circumstances of who can have sex when (legal, consenting adults), I find the idea of making it illegal just plain stupid.

Why do you always have to keep digging when we initially agree on something??  :P

To be fair, you do the same. :P

I suppose that's true. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 01:54:13 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 04, 2012, 01:51:52 PM

There has to be something you agree on.

I suspect there are actually quite a few.  :P

Also, the whole human trafficking issue needs to be taken into consideration here. I know it's way overblown, but it's still a factor. It might actually get better if legalization happens, but I have no way to support that theory.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2012, 10:37:15 AM

I believe that men would be a different type of care-taker than the average woman based on their innate nature, not better or worse. That's where the nature part fits in for me, rather than on whether they'd be any good at it.

Personally, I'm one of those who believes that the different styles are complementary and partially innate. And I think it's a good thing for the kids to get both. I know it would have been better for me if my dad had been around, because he's actually a pretty smart dude and could have helped me not make some of the mistakes I did. Mom never tried to be in love with a woman, if you know what I mean.

That said, I don't think that there is any reason that the different styles necessarily have to be provided by a person of a specific sex (I never use the word gender in reference to a person. My 7th grade English teacher thrashed that out of me). Just that Berkut's average makes it more likely that the man style will be provided by a man.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 04, 2012, 02:18:09 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2012, 10:37:15 AM

I believe that men would be a different type of care-taker than the average woman based on their innate nature, not better or worse. That's where the nature part fits in for me, rather than on whether they'd be any good at it.

Personally, I'm one of those who believes that the different styles are complementary and partially innate. And I think it's a good thing for the kids to get both. I know it would have been better for me if my dad had been around, because he's actually a pretty smart dude and could have helped me not make some of the mistakes I did. Mom never tried to be in love with a woman, if you know what I mean.

That said, I don't think that there is any reason that the different styles necessarily have to be provided by a person of a specific sex (I never use the word gender in reference to a person. My 7th grade English teacher thrashed that out of me). Just that Berkut's average makes it more likely that the man style will be provided by a man.

I agree with you.

And going back to the gay couple example, those families that I know with two dads or two moms, it's pretty clear that each of them parent differently than one another. It's not really that one takes on a more feminine role or a more masculine role, but rather there's a different mix of both in each parent. The very aspects that make them good couples in turn make them good parents.

It's very hard to believe that there is half of the population who are built - through evolution - to be less capable parents. It seems more likely that the innate aspects makes them different parents, and that maybe we've, in a way, downplayed the importance of that type of parenting through societal pressure.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

http://nymag.com/thecut/2012/12/study-sluttiness-is-a-state-of-mind.html

QuoteSluttiness Is a State of Mind

Mixed news pertaining to your sex life out of the University of Michigan psychology department last week: Unfortunately, you're still a slut. On the plus side, it's society's fault you're seen that way.

According to a new study by U of M's Terri Conley, reported by Pacific Standard, the sexual double standard is alive and kicking. Women who have casual sex are still perceived to be "more promiscuous, less intelligent, less mentally healthy, less competent and more risky" than men who do the same. The silver lining is that all those sexist judgments comprising the slut stigma are the reason women are less likely to accept offers of casual sex. In other words, sluts aren't sluts because they're slutty. They're only slutty relative to the prudes who act prude because they're afraid of looking like a slut!

We much prefer this social explanation of the slut stigma to the evolutionary canard about men being hard-wired to spread their seed and women being hard-wired to entrap males to pay child support for the fetus they're gestating. Conley's previous research suggested that women turned down offers of casual sex more often than men because they knew how unlikely it was that a new dude would get them off on the first go around — not because they were saving themselves for the father of their future children. "Women's perception that their heterosexual casual sex partners will be unlikely to give them pleasure is not unwarranted," Conley wrote.

You see that? Women went from biologically burdened financial parasites to rational, risk-assessing sexual aesthetes overnight. All it took was one woman scientist designing the study.

Here's more on the study: http://www.psmag.com/blogs/news-blog/double-standard-persists-for-male-female-promiscuity-50053/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Men are evolutionarily hardwired to be bad in bed.

QuoteThe silver lining is that all those sexist judgments comprising the slut stigma are the reason women are less likely to accept offers of casual sex.

That sounds like a lining rivaling that of the deepest most depressing gray  :mad:

I blame Spicey and Legbiter, they are determined to make life miserable for younger men. Manhaters the lot of them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2012, 04:25:01 PM

QuoteThe silver lining is that all those sexist judgments comprising the slut stigma are the reason women are less likely to accept offers of casual sex.

That sounds like a lining rivaling that of the deepest most depressing gray  :mad:

I blame Spicey and Legbiter, they are determined to make life miserable for younger men. Manhaters the lot of them.

Sorry.  You're married though so get over it :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 04:29:42 PM

But...but...my sons :cry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2012, 04:33:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 04:29:42 PM

But...but...my sons :cry:

They'll find their own way.  Lord knows I did :ph34r:

garbon

:D

merithyn

Don't discount the "one-nighters can't get me off" faction. ;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Sheilbh

I think I'd probably criminalise self-harm, assisting suicide and prostitution.  I've never bought into this 'we can do whatever we want with out bodies' line of thinking.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

:lol:

I say it's not a double standard. It's different standards, based on skill.  :contract: Men looking down on sluts (except for a quick pump and dump) is the same as women looking down on male losers with absolutly no prospects and no mojo to speak of.

Women are the gatekeepers of sexual access, men are the gatekeepers of commitment. Women look to a man's perceived social status and mojo (explains why Bill Gates can get laid even while looking and acting the way he does) and men (at least men with options) pay particular attention to a woman's looks and subtle signs of sexual fidelity. Given the staggeringly high divorce rates for women with "modest" prior notches, a wise choice.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.