News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Feminism

Started by merithyn, November 20, 2012, 11:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2012, 01:51:21 PM
I dunno about that - there's a shocking amount of misogyny surrounding gamer culture.

Yeah. Not just in the culture, but in the production. Games are still made by men for men. So long as that's the case, that culture will belong to men, putting women at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to programming, etc.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 01:48:23 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 20, 2012, 01:40:10 PM
My earlier post was meant to illustrate how your lack of encouragement equated to discouragement. Whether you choose to actively do so or not, your attitude will effectively dissuade your daughter from being anything she wants. That is discouragement.

I don't really follow your logic.  I think you're being too emotional.

If you make encouraging noises when she says the "right" things but go 'mute' when she the "wrong" things, you're putting out a vibe on which things you approve of.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2012, 01:47:10 PM
So both involve her doing things you think are not a good idea but you'd only speak up about the "proper young lady" bit?

Once she's old enough to make a real career decision she'll be an adult.  Most of my effort to raise her the right way will come before that.

QuoteSorry if I keep putting that in quotes, but I'm not really sure what that entails.

I'll let you know once she's grown ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2012, 01:54:12 PM
My earlier post was meant to illustrate how your lack of encouragement equated to discouragement. Whether you choose to actively do so or not, your attitude will effectively dissuade your daughter from being anything she wants. That is discouragement.

If you make encouraging noises when she says the "right" things but go 'mute' when she the "wrong" things, you're putting out a vibe on which things you approve of.

He understands, garbon. He's pushing for a response that I refuse to give him.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on November 20, 2012, 01:51:54 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 20, 2012, 01:47:51 PM
:hmm:  I think I know why this individual woman is not good with probability and statistics.  There is a very simple statistical explanation that fits everything that you've observed, but you have to be willing to accept an explanation that doesn't fit your "the way it is taught" preconceived notion.

What is it? I've asked in the past and not been given a decent answer beyond, "Well, women aren't good at it, and men are."

I think he's getting out how probability and statistics aren't used to explain all cases but the more likely cases (or certain group of cases).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Maybe a weak vibe that will ultimately have negligible effect.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 01:54:49 PM
Once she's old enough to make a real career decision she'll be an adult.  Most of my effort to raise her the right way will come before that.

Except that some career planning starts during the education stage when she won't be. ;)

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 01:54:49 PM
I'll let you know once she's grown ;)

Unless of course you fail on whatever it is you're molding her to be.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2012, 01:55:49 PM

I think he's getting out how probability and statistics aren't used to explain all cases but the more likely cases (or certain group of cases).

Right. I understand that. What I want to know is how to fix the underlying problem that created the statistics in the first place.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 01:57:31 PM

Maybe a weak vibe that will ultimately have negligible effect.

I guess if your daughter is incapable of discerning differences in mood and tone.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on November 20, 2012, 01:57:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2012, 01:55:49 PM

Right. I understand that. What I want to know is how to fix the underlying problem that created the statistics in the first place.

I think it was just a play on that. :D

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2012, 01:58:35 PM
I think it was just a play on that. :D

:mad:

Well that's not helpful. :glare:

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2012, 01:58:09 PM
I guess if your daughter is incapable of discerning differences in mood and tone.

...or if she's ultimately smart enough to put things in proper context.  Her mother's not a drama queen, so hopefully she won't be either.  Though she does have red hair... :hmm:

Maximus

Quote from: DGuller on November 20, 2012, 01:47:51 PM
:hmm:  I think I know why this individual woman is not good with probability and statistics.  There is a very simple statistical explanation that fits everything that you've observed, but you have to be willing to accept an explanation that doesn't fit your "the way it is taught" preconceived notion.
Let's assume for a moment that my observations are representative. Does your explanation fit the data showing that the disparity is radically different among different cultures?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 02:00:53 PM
Her mother's not a drama queen,

How the hell that happened with a South American chickadee, I'll never know.  :P

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 02:00:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2012, 01:58:09 PM

...or if she's ultimately smart enough to put things in proper context.  Her mother's not a drama queen, so hopefully she won't be either.  Though she does have red hair... :hmm:

Well wouldn't you ultimately rather have her pick the types of careers you think are suitable?  Exempting career choice from your "proper lady" training seems a little odd, no? I mean choice of career has a pretty big impact on a person's life.