Wranglers say 'Hobbit' animals died on unsafe farm

Started by garbon, November 19, 2012, 09:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Wow, that is some serious non news news right there.

Animals died somewhere, some of which was due to human incompetence?

No shit? Really? WOW I NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED THAT EVER HAPPENED!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 11:41:34 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 11:22:01 AM
Otherwise, I wasn't particularly upset when posting this article. I thought it akin to some of the 'badly behaved humans with animals' articles that Seedy has posted.

This. I'm not crying over these animals, but that doesn't mean that I think what happened was jim-dandy, either. The callous "who gives a shit" from Malthus says more about him than it does about how news-worthy this is, imo.

Bullshit.

I said this wasn't news, not that I don't give a shit about animals or that I thought this was "jim dandy".

Who pissed in your cornflakes this AM?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

I'd like to know why some people are beating around the bush. Just say "garbon don't post shit like this anymore" or better yet - ignore it. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 02:27:34 PM
I'd like to know why some people are beating around the bush. Just say "garbon don't post shit like this anymore" or better yet - ignore it. ;)

Don't sweat it, bro.  Your heart is in the right place.  It's not your problem that others' aren't.

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2012, 02:21:04 PM
Otherwise, I wasn't particularly upset when posting this article. I thought it akin to some of the 'badly behaved humans with animals' articles that Seedy has posted.

This. I'm not crying over these animals, but that doesn't mean that I think what happened was jim-dandy, either. The callous "who gives a shit" from Malthus says more about him than it does about how news-worthy this is, imo.

Bullshit.

I said this wasn't news, not that I don't give a shit about animals or that I thought this was "jim dandy".

Has someone hacked your account ? ; normally our so polite and fun.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on November 19, 2012, 02:39:42 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2012, 02:21:04 PM

Bullshit.

Has someone hacked your account ? ; normally our so polite and fun.  :(

WTF? Are you guys trolling me? I'm not the one being labelled "callous" or that I "don't give a shit" about animals.

I'm merely saying this is not news. And it isn't.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2012, 02:45:09 PM

In what sense? After all, it is something that happened, that some segment of the population cares about and was reported on by a major news outlet (AP).

Now you might say it isn't worthy of being reported on - but I'm not sure where that gets us. I guess AP should report on said things anymore?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 02:47:31 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2012, 02:45:09 PM

In what sense? After all, it is something that happened, that some segment of the population cares about and was reported on by a major news outlet (AP).

Now you might say it isn't worthy of being reported on - but I'm not sure where that gets us. I guess AP should report on said things anymore?

It isn't news because stuff like this doesn't raise a significant concern. The only reason it's being reported is because of the big-name draw of the movie, not because it is a serious animal-rights issue.

It is along the lines of "Celebrity X, who starred in the Hobbit, had menstrual cramps!". Can one say "that isn't news" without thereby insulting all women in general, and Meri in particular, who instantly takes the position you are saying menstrual cramps aren't important in general you callous bastard, and by extention you don't care about women's health, which says alot about you, etc. etc.?  :hmm:

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2012, 02:56:51 PM
It isn't news because stuff like this doesn't raise a significant concern. The only reason it's being reported is because of the big-name draw of the movie, not because it is a serious animal-rights issue.

It is along the lines of "Celebrity X, who starred in the Hobbit, had menstrual cramps!". Can one say "that isn't news" without thereby insulting all women in general, and Meri in particular, who instantly takes the position you are saying menstrual cramps aren't important in general you callous bastard, and by extention you don't care about women's health, which says alot about you, etc. etc.?  :hmm:

:lol:

So, basically, you've decided that it's not news, and so anyone who says otherwise is being an extremist? You've made it very clear that you don't consider this worthy of your notice, so why are you still in this thread? I don't get that. Except that you've made it your business to make sure that those of us who actually feel that this story is worthy of our attention know your opinion, as if we should care.

Don't, now, get offended when you're called on your callous attitude ("lol! Dogs ate chickens!! Who the fuck cares??"). You don't get it both ways, Malthus. You made light of the whole situation because you didn't deem it worthy of your notice. When called on it, you suddenly get all offended for being called callous.

For the record, I'm not in tears over these animals. I think it's a waste, and yeah, I think it's pretty shitty that it happened. I also think that given who was involved, that nothing will end up happening about it, which is, to me, what really makes it newsworthy. I don't really care if you agree, regardless of how much you keep wanting to ram your opinion on it down my throat.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 02:29:01 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 02:27:34 PM

Don't sweat it, bro.  Your heart is in the right place.  It's not your problem that others' aren't.

LOL KISS OF DEATH
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 03:04:50 PM
:lol:

So, basically, you've decided that it's not news, and so anyone who says otherwise is being an extremist? You've made it very clear that you don't consider this worthy of your notice, so why are you still in this thread? I don't get that. Except that you've made it your business to make sure that those of us who actually feel that this story is worthy of our attention know your opinion, as if we should care.

I guess you missed the fact that other posters, such as garbon, are asking my opinion. If you don't care, then please feel free to, you know, not respond. 

Face it Meri - you flew off the handle and acted all huffy and sanctimonious. Over nothing. But please do continue. In fact, why not call Berkut out while you are at it?

QuoteDon't, now, get offended when you're called on your callous attitude ("lol! Dogs ate chickens!! Who the fuck cares??"). You don't get it both ways, Malthus. You made light of the whole situation because you didn't deem it worthy of your notice. When called on it, you suddenly get all offended for being called callous.

I made light of the situation as news. No doubt each animal death is a tragedy, but these particular ones are not more significant than others.

QuoteFor the record, I'm not in tears over these animals. I think it's a waste, and yeah, I think it's pretty shitty that it happened. I also think that given who was involved, that nothing will end up happening about it, which is, to me, what really makes it newsworthy. I don't really care if you agree, regardless of how much you keep wanting to ram your opinion on it down my throat.
[Emphasis added]

You are wrong and evidently have not actually read the article before emoting - no surprise there. In actual fact, remedial steps were taken. Which is an additional reason why this is not news.

From the article in the OP:

QuoteThe American Humane Association said in its report on "An Unexpected Journey" that it investigated the farm at the production company's request. Dravitzki said the company contacted the AHA after Smythe alleged mistreatment of animals.

Mark Stubis, an association spokesman, said it investigated the farm in August 2011, months after the first deaths.

"We made safety recommendations to the animals' living areas. The production company followed our recommendations and upgraded fence and farm housing, among other things," the group said.

Dravitzki said the company had already made many of the recommended changes by the time the AHA made them.

In short, you are entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2012, 03:13:45 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2012, 03:12:52 PMLOL KISS OF DEATH

:huh:

It's in capitals, on the internet that's code for "I don't know what I'm talking about, but assume if I say it loud enough, I'll drown out other opinions" 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2012, 03:14:20 PM
Face it Meri - you flew off the handle and acted all huffy and sanctimonious. Over nothing. But please do continue. In fact, why not call Berkut out while you are at it?

*sighs* You really do think far too highly of yourself. You read what you wanted to read into what I posted. Yeah, the production company should have handled it far better, and yeah, they should be held responsible for the animals' deaths. I don't think that the senseless death of 30 animals is something to shrug off. Nonetheless, I also don't expect anything to come of it. I pointed out that if it happened around here, the authorities would be called in and likely tickets would be written.  I said - repeatedly - that I thought it was a shitty situation but that I didn't expect anything to come of it because of who was involved and where it took place. How that's huffy and sanctimonious is beyond me, but hey, you read it in whatever way you feel like.

As for Berk, I'd already made it clear that I disagreed with you on the topic. Why belabor it by saying the same to Berk? If he cared about my opinion, which I doubt he does, he would have commented to me directly when I disagreed with you. He didn't, so I assume he couldn't care less what I think on the topic. Why bother at that point?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...