Wranglers say 'Hobbit' animals died on unsafe farm

Started by garbon, November 19, 2012, 09:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 10:57:29 AM
You're right, and if that was all that happened, then this would be a non-story. It is not, however, all that's happened, nor are they the only animals killed.

Yeah, I forgot about the sheep made ill by new feed and injured by sinkholes. And the horses hurt by uneven ground.

QuoteGlad you're finding some amusement in this. It's so hilarious, really. :mellow:

Glad you have found something truly important to be concerned about - like animal safety practices affecting a handful of animals on the other side of the world.  :mellow:

As I said - it is not *news*.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: dps on November 19, 2012, 11:02:17 AM

Ok, again, what the heck the farmer supposed to do about the fact that the land isn't flat?

Not have horses in those paddocks? Not have horses if they can't find a place that's safe for them?

I don't, in general, think that uneven terrain isn't safe for horses. Just look at where the wild ponies in the western states run. However, if you've got them penned in where there are dangerous ravines, that's just assinine. Having horses - who have notoriously weak ankles and legs - in a paddock with known sink holes seems really stupid, especially when one is renting the farm and could likely have found something better. It seems, from the article, that the production company just didn't want to bother until more noise was made about what was going on.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: dps on November 19, 2012, 11:02:17 AM
Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 10:56:09 AM
Quote from: dps on November 19, 2012, 10:51:20 AM

I'm not entirely sure that he should give a rat's ass, frankly.  The only reason this is in the news is because it involves animals being used in a movie.  I suspect that these animals had better living conditions that lots of animals on regular, working farms.  Take this bit, for example:

QuoteHe said horses run at speeds of up to 30 mph and need to be housed on flat land: "It's just a no-brainer."

Well, I've seen lots of horses on working farms that had quite steep hillsides.  Not so much around here, where the land is generally flat, or even in WV, where there's not much flat land but also not that many farms, but in southwest Virginia, yeah, a lot.  Sure, you can (and should) fix broken fences, but it's not like bulldozing the mountain flat or moving the farm from Virginia to Kansas are realistic options.

There have been multiple cases of charges of animal cruelty in our area for horses being kept in similar situations. Barbed wire fencing, uneven terrain that caused multiple injuries, etc.

Ok, again, what the heck the farmer supposed to do about the fact that the land isn't flat?

Odd given what the production company said:

Quote"We do know those deaths were avoidable and we took steps to make sure it didn't happen again," he said.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2012, 11:04:10 AM
As I said - it is not *news*.

And that attitude ensures that more animals will die unnecessarily for our entertainment.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2012, 11:20:15 AM
If 30 people died you wouldn't be so upset.

I'd be upset if Malthus was saying that it was no big deal that 30 people died unnecessarily.

Otherwise, I wasn't particularly upset when posting this article. I thought it akin to some of the 'badly behaved humans with animals' articles that Seedy has posted.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 11:16:13 AM
Odd given what the production company said:

Quote"We do know those deaths were avoidable and we took steps to make sure it didn't happen again," he said.
Yeah, but that's just one of those things you have to say, because the Meris of the world will whine and cry otherwise.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 11:22:01 AM

I'd be upset if Malthus was saying that it was no big deal that 30 people died unnecessarily.

Otherwise, I wasn't particularly upset when posting this article. I thought it akin to some of the 'badly behaved humans with animals' articles that Seedy has posted.

No you wouldn't.  People die all the time.  We post videos of it on You tube and laugh.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Didn't we all have a good laugh when that ferry sank in Egypt?

You're the worst.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2012, 11:28:21 AM
No you wouldn't.  People die all the time.  We post videos of it on You tube and laugh.

It is true people die all the time. I don't recall watching any videos of people dying on youtube and then laughing.  I also don't recall times where we said 30 people dying was not newsworthy.

Of course, not really sure what this has to do with anything as clearly animals aren't people.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on November 19, 2012, 11:30:19 AM

Didn't we all have a good laugh when that ferry sank in Egypt?

You're the worst.

I don't remember laughing about that as I don't really thinking people dying is particularly funny. I do remember several people being callous which lead to us losing posters. What does that prove? :unsure:

Razgovory

garbon

Also, Neil, your best example stems from what like 6 years ago?

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2012, 11:32:04 AM
Didn't lose you, did we?

I'm of sterner stuff. Not sure what that has to do with this article and me posting it - as I've already said. ;)

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 11:30:38 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2012, 11:28:21 AM

It is true people die all the time. I don't recall watching any videos of people dying on youtube and then laughing.  I also don't recall times where we said 30 people dying was not newsworthy.

Of course, not really sure what this has to do with anything as clearly animals aren't people.

Fuck, we had one last week.  Israelis knocked out a Hamas guy.  Laughs and good cheer was had by all.