Wranglers say 'Hobbit' animals died on unsafe farm

Started by garbon, November 19, 2012, 09:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2012, 11:33:16 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 11:30:38 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2012, 11:28:21 AM
No you wouldn't.  People die all the time.  We post videos of it on You tube and laugh.

It is true people die all the time. I don't recall watching any videos of people dying on youtube and then laughing.  I also don't recall times where we said 30 people dying was not newsworthy.

Of course, not really sure what this has to do with anything as clearly animals aren't people.

Fuck, we had one last week.  Israelis knocked out a Hamas guy.  Laughs and good cheer was had by all.

I didn't see it, else I would have been disappointed. Still not sure that's the same as laughing about 30 people dying or proves I wouldn't be upset if we said 30 people dying isn't news.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 11:32:05 AM
Also, Neil, your best example stems from what like 6 years ago?
It stands out in my memory, because it was so funny.  There's always Darwin-award-type stuff that gets a laugh.

At any rate, animals owe us their lives.  If they are to die for our entertainment, that's a lot better than the meaningless deaths that they would have had to undergo in the wild.  We feed them, we shelter them, and so they will die for us when we want it to be that way.  We won' torture them, because we're better than that, but we will kill them.  Anything else is PETA-lunacy, and anyone who subscribes to PETA-lunacy needs to kill themselves today.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 11:22:01 AM
Otherwise, I wasn't particularly upset when posting this article. I thought it akin to some of the 'badly behaved humans with animals' articles that Seedy has posted.

This. I'm not crying over these animals, but that doesn't mean that I think what happened was jim-dandy, either. The callous "who gives a shit" from Malthus says more about him than it does about how news-worthy this is, imo.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 11:17:14 AM
And that attitude ensures that more animals will die unnecessarily for our entertainment.

This is implying a bit of maliciousness that isn't there.  They were not murdered as part of the movie, they died by incompetence on the part of the production.  People need to be held responsible but I do not see how our entertainment was served somehow like we are watching Roman Gladiators killing captive Lions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 10:21:54 AM
The question from my perspective, garbon, is what will happen, if anything? Obviously (to most), it's a shitty situation, but no one is going to hold anyone accountable when these movies bring so much money in to the country. And I can't see Peter Jackson really giving too rats' asses over it.

Oh I am sure he gives a great deal of rats' asses about it.  And if doesn't now he probably will after the lawsuits.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 11:41:34 AM
Otherwise, I wasn't particularly upset when posting this article. I thought it akin to some of the 'badly behaved humans with animals' articles that Seedy has posted.
This. I'm not crying over these animals, but that doesn't mean that I think what happened was jim-dandy, either. The callous "who gives a shit" from Malthus says more about him than it does about how news-worthy this is, imo.
And the weeping and gnashing of teeth that you're doing says a lot about you.  You're the reason that women should never have gotten the vote:  Your soft, soft heart.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2012, 11:43:54 AM
Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 10:21:54 AM
The question from my perspective, garbon, is what will happen, if anything? Obviously (to most), it's a shitty situation, but no one is going to hold anyone accountable when these movies bring so much money in to the country. And I can't see Peter Jackson really giving too rats' asses over it.
Oh I am sure he gives a great deal of rats' asses about it.  And if doesn't now he probably will after the lawsuits.
I would imagine that the lawsuits will be quite reasonable towards him.  After all, the man is half the economy of New Zealand, and the other half is the slaughter of sheep.

Razgovory

The fact that you are concerned about 30 animals that died on a farm in New Zealand while thousands die every day in the US says a lot about you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on November 19, 2012, 11:49:31 AM
I would imagine that the lawsuits will be quite reasonable towards him.  After all, the man is half the economy of New Zealand, and the other half is the slaughter of sheep.

Yeah, that was kind of my point. It's a shitty situation, but I can't imagine that much will happen. Peter Jackson is the source of a huge chunk of the New Zealand economy. Even NZ PETA folks would tread carefully with him, I'd guess.

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2012, 11:51:37 AM

The fact that you are concerned about 30 animals that died on a farm in New Zealand while thousands die every day in the US says a lot about you.

Unfortunately, the wrong ones continue to live.

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 11:55:32 AM

Which animals would you prefer be killed?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 11:55:32 AM

It does get tiresome when he tries to argue with something that you didn't say or think. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Meh, harmless compared to the intentional on-camera killing of animals in 1980s Amazon cannibal movies.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Kleves

Hell, in the US we kill over one million chickens every hour of every day. We kill over 9,000,000,000 a year. The death of a dozen chickens overseas is not news. The deaths of the horses might be more newsworthy, but, again, on average 3.5 horses die racing in the US every day. In the grand scheme of what humans do to animals, these 30 deaths are really, really small potatoes.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

derspiess

So you're just a different shade of "who gives a shit" from Malthus, then.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall