Gay rights protest in Moscow brutally pacified

Started by Martinus, May 16, 2009, 11:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

40 arrested as Moscow anti-riot police use violence to break up Slavic Pride march

Boycott Eurovision, say Pride organisers

Moscow – 16th May

Sources from Moscow have reported that police have used violent and oppressive tactics to break up the peaceful Slavic Pride march in the city.

The march had been outlawed by Moscow city authorities, but permission had been given for counter-demonstrations by far right ultra-nationalists.

Between 35 and 40 Russian LGBT activists have been arrested, including British human rights activist Peter Tatchell and Chicago LGBT activist Andy Thayer. Pride organiser Nikolai Alekseev was held down by 5 fully armed riot police and arrested.

European Embassy diplomats witnessed the violence are said to be planning a joint diplomatic action.

Slavic Pride organisers have called on the artists and performers of Eurovision to boycott tonight's showpiece event in solidarity with the beaten and arrested protesters.

Organiser Nikolai Alekseev said

"I call upon all of the artists who are due to perform at tonight's Eurovision to boycott tonight's event and send a message that Russia's state oppression of human rights is not acceptable.

"The Russian Government is using this years Eurovision in Moscow as a gala showpiece to show the world how far the country has improved since the early 1990's. However, what was witnessed this afternoon on the streets of Moscow shows the world just how little Russia has travelled when it comes to supporting fundamental human rights.

"The police brutality that we witnessed here this afternoon is shocking. We planned a peaceful march to highlight the dire state of LGBT rights in Russia today. The police, given violent legitimacy by the openly homophobic Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov, did not hold back with their weapons, despite the world's media watching.

"We were defending the often violated human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Russians. We demand the same legal protection against discrimination and hate crimes that none LGBT people enjoy.

"This episode has shamed the Russian Government and Moscow authorities before the world."

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=35320687969&topic=8354

Fucking Russian government.  :mad:

Martinus

BBC coverage:

Police in Russia have broken up a protest by gay rights activists in Moscow, staged to coincide with the final of the Eurovision Song Contest.
Some 30 campaigners had gathered near a university in defiance of a ban on their march and many were dragged away by police when they shouted slogans.
British gay rights activist, Peter Tatchell, was among those detained.
A counter-demonstration by nationalist and religious groups was allowed to go ahead elsewhere in the Russian capital.
Equal rights
The gay rights group had been waving flags and chanting slogans demanding equal rights and condemning the treatment of gays and lesbians in Russia.
At least 20 were arrested as police moved in to disperse the protest.
As he was being taken away by police, Mr Tatchell shouted: "This shows the Russian people are not free."
Speaking from a police station, he later told the BBC: "The way the police violently broke up our peaceful protest is an indication of a drift toward authoritarianism that is affecting all Russians."
'Satanic'
The organiser of the gathering and leading campaigner, Nikolai Alexeyev, was also detained at the event, which took place in the south-west of the city.

Nikolai Alexeyev organised the event despite the ban
The Eurovision Song Contest traditionally has a large gay following and activists in Russia had seen its staging in Moscow as a great opportunity to highlight what they say is deep prejudice, says the BBC's Moscow correspondent, Richard Galpin.
There have been many attacks on members of the gay community - they also say they risk being sacked by their employers and shunned by their families.
The Moscow mayor Yuri Luzkhov has described gay parades as "satanic".
Anti-gay groups had threatened to take matters into their own hands if the police failed to stop the protest.
Several dozen nationalist and religious protesters earlier staged an anti-gay march near central Moscow.

You can watch the video here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8053181.stm

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Quote from: The Brain on May 16, 2009, 12:03:14 PM
Russians are gay.
Not really.  Its one of the few nations on Earth were the greatest poets and novelists are generally heterosexual, with apologies to Gogol and Marina Tsvetaeva.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

This seems fantastically cruel and barbaric.  Very stupid move by the Govt. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

I would be outraged if Marty hadn't brought it to my attention.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on May 16, 2009, 12:07:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 16, 2009, 12:03:14 PM
Russians are gay.
Not really.  Its one of the few nations on Earth were the greatest poets and novelists are generally heterosexual, with apologies to Gogol and Marina Tsvetaeva.
Tchaikovsky was famously gay (and pushed to suicide over it).

BuddhaRhubarb

Russians are insane. Also fearless. Would any of us march in a Pride parade in Moscow? I doubt I would. I prefer nice cozy closets to death.
:p

DGuller

So, let me get this straight, the Russian police didn't break any skulls or beat anyone up in prison over this, and yet you're still complaining?

Neil

This is great.  It's like one group of Martinuses are persecuting another group of Martinuses.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Strix

It was an illegal march. They would have done the same thing in the US.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on May 16, 2009, 12:37:41 PM
So, let me get this straight, the Russian police didn't break any skulls or beat anyone up in prison over this, and yet you're still complaining?

:bash:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on May 16, 2009, 12:37:41 PM

You are evil!  :mad:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 16, 2009, 12:26:48 PM
Russians are insane. Also fearless. Would any of us march in a Pride parade in Moscow? I doubt I would. I prefer nice cozy closets to death.
Peter Tatchell did. I really respect this guy.