News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hostess Brands Says It Will Liquidate

Started by garbon, November 16, 2012, 09:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

The whole insurance thing is really a killer.  Obama should have given you socialized medicine.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2012, 04:08:19 PM
Quote from: dps on November 18, 2012, 03:48:49 PM
Maybe we ought to look at cutting back over-generous unemployment compensation.  A receiving clerk making $45 grand a year?  Shit, no wonder they went bankrupt.

So unemployment compensation should be kept below the poverty level?  Nice guy.

If the guy's single, $25,000/yr is no where near "below the poverty level".  Poverty level for a single person is somewhere around $12,000.

And whether it's "nice" or not, yeah, if you can make more on unemployment than you can working, that's a disincentive that needs to be fixed.

DGuller

:unsure: Who's getting $25,000 a year in unemployment instead of a job that pays less?

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2012, 06:30:58 PM
:unsure: Who's getting $25,000 a year in unemployment instead of a job that pays less?

No clue.  Not me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2012, 06:30:58 PM

According to what CdM posted, some guy named Mike Hummel.

Admiral Yi

The maximum benefit in California is around $670/week.  A dude in Kansas is making nowhere near that.  I imagine it's comparable to Iowa, which has a max benefit of $365/week (more if you're married and/or have kids).

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2012, 08:00:22 PM
The maximum benefit in California is around $670/week.  A dude in Kansas is making nowhere near that.  I imagine it's comparable to Iowa, which has a max benefit of $365/week (more if you're married and/or have kids).

Man I get less then that a month.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Well, I said that taking a paycut should be preferable to losing you job (at least in the current job market), and then CdM posted where this guy said that he'd get more money on unemployment than taking a paycut to $25,000/yr.  If he doesn't stand to make more on unemployment, then my original point stands.  If he does, then my point about unemployment compensation being too generous stands.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on November 18, 2012, 06:29:06 PM
If the guy's single, $25,000/yr is no where near "below the poverty level".  Poverty level for a single person is somewhere around $12,000.

Quote2012 Kansas Poverty Level Guidelines

Number In Family   Maximum Annual Income
1                          $16,755
2                          $22,695
3                          $28,635
4                          $34,575

He stated he's got a mortgage payment, so for shits and giggles, let's say he's married with an infant child.   Sell the house, right?  Wife has to nurse the baby?  Fuck her, wear a papoose. 
Don't strike, though.  That would be wrong.

QuoteAnd whether it's "nice" or not, yeah, if you can make more on unemployment than you can working, that's a disincentive that needs to be fixed.

Naturally.  Your company cuts your pay from 48K to $21K in 8 years, to the point that it's worse than unemployment?  And it's unemployment that's the problem?

I hope your moral compass points you away from puppies and handicapped children.

Neil

If your company cuts your pay from 48k to 21k, you should strike, put them out of business, and then get a real job.  Either that, or just get a real job.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PDH

If you don't like your job, you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Twinkies will live on in Canada, Long live Twinkies!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maximus

I had lunch with my friend today. He said most of the BCTGM members were furious with union leadership. Only about a third of them at his plant had actually gone on strike and there had been mass membership withdrawals over the past few weeks. The Teamsters are also pretty steamed about not having been told ahead of time about the strike that has now cost them their jobs as well.

It says something when the Teamsters is the most responsible organization in the picture.

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on November 19, 2012, 05:52:54 PM
It says something when the Teamsters is the most responsible organization in the picture.

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall