And we're back!

Main Menu

Hostess Brands Says It Will Liquidate

Started by garbon, November 16, 2012, 09:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on November 30, 2012, 07:31:39 PM
The thing is... I think you understand this stuff

Nope.  He really believes what he posts.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2012, 03:22:27 AM

While I certainly don't take what apparantly now has been dubbed the Cdm "LOL CAPITOLITSTS" view of business--I understand that whoever takes over the remaining assests of a failed company wants to get maximum value from those assets--I also don't share the view that the very executives who lead the company into failure have such mad bizness skilz that you have to pay them top dollar and give them bonuses in order to get that maximum value.

MadImmortalMan

You can't turn a cruise ship on a dime, and big companies are like that too. It's too hard to judge the performance of the guy who only ran the company for the last couple years, even if he couldn't turn it around. He might have done the best possible job and still failed. Still doesn't mean he should get a billion dollar check when it's finally dead but hey.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on November 30, 2012, 07:41:43 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2012, 07:39:14 PM
I've made my point.  The GOPtards, vulture capitalist fanbois and other assorted groundings suckered by Wall Street know where I stand.
I'm part of the problem. :cool:

Of course.  You are what's called a "lick spittle".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on December 01, 2012, 10:22:53 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2012, 03:22:27 AM

While I certainly don't take what apparantly now has been dubbed the Cdm "LOL CAPITOLITSTS" view of business--I understand that whoever takes over the remaining assests of a failed company wants to get maximum value from those assets--I also don't share the view that the very executives who lead the company into failure have such mad bizness skilz that you have to pay them top dollar and give them bonuses in order to get that maximum value.

Yi believes in extremist capitalism, but not extremist opposition to it.

Admiral Yi

I believe in people disposing of their property as they see fit.  I believe the labor market should be grownups contracting freely, to achieve the best deal for themselves they can. 

I don't believe an employer is your daddy, or your mommy, or your feudal lord, or the tooth fairy.  I believe they are mercenaries, out for a buck, just like employees.

Is that extremist capitalism, or is there more to it than that?

Tonitrus

"We're all mercenaries!" doesn't sound very idealistic or romantic enough.

Admiral Yi

What's idealistic or romantic about waking up in the morning and punching in so you get money?

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2012, 11:16:11 PM
What's idealistic or romantic about waking up in the morning and punching in so you get money?

There are people I'd be glad to wake up in the morning and punch for money, if it was legal and they weren't allowed to punch back.