News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 21, 2010, 02:17:53 PM
I've never seen an Online contest where Quebec residents were included.

:nelson:

In other news, I am leaning towards buying a lifetime membership.   :homestar:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on January 21, 2010, 02:18:29 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 21, 2010, 02:17:53 PM
I've never seen an Online contest where Quebec residents were included.

:nelson:

Not even the Klingons are ready, by the time you can actually play Borg, it will be available as an expansion. Plus later as initial player numbers will start to drop, lifetime membership will be cheaper. Dont do it now.

Syt

It's 175 EUR over here, which is 75% more than the LotRO lifetime sub cost at release (AND that included the game pack itself).

The early start, btw, coincides with the ME2 release for me.  :glare:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on January 21, 2010, 02:35:07 PM
Plus later as initial player numbers will start to drop, lifetime membership will be cheaper. Dont do it now.

Not sure, as LotRO only offered lifetime sub at release (mabye they've re-introduced it now, have to check), but that was a different publisher.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Not even the Klingons are ready, by the time you can actually play Borg, it will be available as an expansion. Plus later as initial player numbers will start to drop, lifetime membership will be cheaper. Dont do it now.

If I get a lifetime membership, then the only time it makes sense is to buy it when you start playing, not down the road.

I doubt very much the Borg will be playable.  You're part of a friggin hive mind.  You can't learn skills or display independent thought.  The Borg captain that comes with the lifetime is a "liberated borg" ala Seven of Nine or Cpt. Picard.  I'm not all that interested in that benefit anyways.

They have announced that lifetime memberships will be available after initial launch, but at an increased price.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on January 21, 2010, 02:38:46 PM
Plus later as initial player numbers will start to drop, lifetime membership will be cheaper. Dont do it now.

Not sure, as LotRO only offered lifetime sub at release (mabye they've re-introduced it now, have to check), but that was a different publisher.

lotro has offered lifetime subs on several occassions after launch.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on January 21, 2010, 02:36:34 PM

It's 175 EUR over here, which is 75% more than the LotRO lifetime sub cost at release (AND that included the game pack itself).

The early start, btw, coincides with the ME2 release for me.  :glare:

incorrect:

lifetime subscription for LOTRO at gamelaunch was 149.99 euros.

edit: I've still got the early launch box in which the offer for lifer was made. if needed I can scan the thing :p

starbright

Reached level nine. Game is becoming more fun, but I don't think it will last more than a year.

Why buy lifetime now?

Syt

Well, then it was 150 EUR. :P

Anyways, it included the game, whereas with STO the lifetime sub comes on top of buying the game, so it's easily over 200 EUR.
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on January 21, 2010, 03:11:52 PM
Well, then it was 150 EUR. :P

Anyways, it included the game, whereas with STO the lifetime sub comes on top of buying the game, so it's easily over 200 EUR.

are you sure it included the game?
cause I remember that either you had to use the voucher included in the pre-launch participation box (which was not the game) or yu had to buy that big book thing (which costed way over 200€ but came with a lifetime sub included.). Not sure if the lower tier collector's edition carried it, I think they had to go through the voucher.
That prelaunch box costed either 2.5€ or 10€ (can't remember, think it's 10), together with the game you ended up at 200€ at least.
Indeed cheaper than cryptic's effort at lifetime subbing, but not by much :p

Barrister

Quote from: starbright on January 21, 2010, 03:10:58 PM
Reached level nine. Game is becoming more fun, but I don't think it will last more than a year.

Why buy lifetime now?

Because it makes no sense at all to pay for several months, and then buy a (more expensive) lifetime subscription.   :huh:

Really guys, I don't get how "why now" is the question.  The question is whether to do it at all.

And won't last a year - your interest, or the game itself?  And while a few big MMOs have gone under, most manage to keep going, so I very much doubt the game will stop working.  And with STO's "one server" philosophy you won't get the feeling of empty servers that other games have run into.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on January 21, 2010, 04:02:45 PM
Because it makes no sense at all to pay for several months, and then buy a (more expensive) lifetime subscription.   :huh:

Really guys, I don't get how "why now" is the question.  The question is whether to do it at all.
Your logic confuses and frightens me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

I saw that grumbler posted in this thread, and I assumed he was going to rant about getting stiffed on a lifetime magazine subscription during the Pelopennesian Wars.

Instead he went with an unfrozen caveman lawyer joke.   :huh:

Syt

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 21, 2010, 03:42:17 PM
are you sure it included the game?
cause I remember that either you had to use the voucher included in the pre-launch participation box (which was not the game) or yu had to buy that big book thing (which costed way over 200€ but came with a lifetime sub included.). Not sure if the lower tier collector's edition carried it, I think they had to go through the voucher.
That prelaunch box costed either 2.5€ or 10€ (can't remember, think it's 10), together with the game you ended up at 200€ at least.
Indeed cheaper than cryptic's effort at lifetime subbing, but not by much :p
:unsure: I'd have to dig out all those old receipts.
—Stephen Jay Gould