The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Wait - I thought you were getting the Digital Download version?

Not sure how crazy I am about their pre-order system.  There are so many potential benefits, many of which seem rather sizable.  That being said I am expecting them to have a 'microtransaction' system where you can buy minor stuff (like if you want the DS9 uniforms from the CE) eventually.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on January 01, 2010, 12:24:18 PM

Not sure how crazy I am about their pre-order system.  There are so many potential benefits, many of which seem rather sizable.  That being said I am expecting them to have a 'microtransaction' system where you can buy minor stuff (like if you want the DS9 uniforms from the CE) eventually.

They have that for Champions Online (extra costumes, more character slots etc.).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

And since both are developed by Cryptic...

I don't have a major problem with that kind of system, as long as it's nothing "essential".

Berkut

I am a little skeptical that this is going to work.

Is this a game based around space combat, or on the ground interactions?

Having a hard time believing that they can do both well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on January 01, 2010, 01:08:30 PM

Both.

Apparently a lot of PvE missions involve going to a planet, having a space battle, then going down to the surface and having ground battles.

The previews have gushed more about the space battles than the ground combat.  The ground combat had comments about the animations and AI still needing work.

Grey Fox

I'm still excited! I wish it would hurry up so I can keep not buying Champions Online.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Me too.  I have: drank the kool-aid.   :blush:

But I am something of a trekkie, so this only has to be fairly average and I bet I'll like it.  It does seem to focus more on PvE than PvP which I also prefer.

Barrister

hmmm... I have dug out the classic "Birth of the Federation".  Now to see if I can get my old disk to install and run...

Cecil

Quote from: Barrister on January 01, 2010, 01:44:26 PM
hmmm... I have dug out the classic "Birth of the Federation".  Now to see if I can get my old disk to install and run...

:pinch: notoriously hard to get that one to function on a modern system.

Barrister

Quote from: Cecil on January 01, 2010, 04:01:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 01, 2010, 01:44:26 PM

:pinch: notoriously hard to get that one to function on a modern system.

As I am discovering.  Install went fine, but seemed to barf on running a vid clip to start the game.

Barrister

Found an unofficial patch and everything looks fine. :thumbsup:

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on January 01, 2010, 01:13:26 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 01, 2010, 01:08:30 PM

Both.

Apparently a lot of PvE missions involve going to a planet, having a space battle, then going down to the surface and having ground battles.

The previews have gushed more about the space battles than the ground combat.  The ground combat had comments about the animations and AI still needing work.

And they are also stressing that not all "episodes" as they are calling them have to be resolved with combat, in the spirit of the show.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on January 01, 2010, 12:24:18 PM

I am leaning towards getting D2D DDE (comes with the TOS unis, and the joined trill possible PC)   and CE from Gamestop (which has the DS9 unis, the Constitution class cruiser, the guest passes, and the cool communicator badge)  I think :blush:
Star Trek along with comics were my big :nerd: from childhood

CountDeMoney

I'm gonna wait for katmai to piss away his money on this before I make the decision to piss away mine.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 01, 2010, 06:46:49 PM
I'm gonna wait for katmai to piss away his money on this before I make the decision to piss away mine.
Well If Crazy Ivan gets in open beta without preorder I think I will still have 1 more 10day pass to give away (tamas and Berks have the other two)