The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Alexandru H. on December 29, 2009, 08:04:48 PM
TOS was like a bad B-Movie. Terrible.
Clearly, you don't know much about TOS.  Any generalizations about TOS are going to be both correct and incorrect, because the show changed so much over the three short years it was on. 

First season stuff was almost uniformly terrific; though the heros 'won" every time, it was always at a cost, and the endings were somber. 

Third-season shows were almost uniformly drek, with "Nazi planet" followed by "gangster planet" and the "Roman planet" and "Commie planet;" on at least half the planets Kirk was kidnapped and when that didn't happen (and sometimes when it did) he lost his memory. 

Second-season shows were in between.  Still some excellent stuff, especially that written by the "real SF writers" but a fair amount of crap from DC Fontana and Gene Coon.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Everytime you criticize the nazi planet and the Vic Tayback gangster planet, I die a little inside.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on December 30, 2009, 01:33:32 PM
Third-season shows were almost uniformly drek, with "Nazi planet" followed by "gangster planet" and the "Roman planet" and "Commie planet;"

I liked those planets.  :(

Caliga

I liked the episodes wherein Kirk got action.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

I was thinking about the episode with the white-black dudes locked in eternal chase through the ruins of their suicided civilization last night.  Somber indeed.

Gangster planet seemed to me to be an intentionally comic episode. 

The rest were overly ponderous in style.
PDH!

Barrister

Third-season shows were almost uniformly drek, with "Nazi planet" followed by "gangster planet" and the "Roman planet" and "Commie planet;"

Did those episodes really follow one after the other? :blink:

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on December 30, 2009, 08:49:07 PM

No.  Gangster planet was episode 46, Nazi planet episode 50, and Roman planet episode 54.  Those episodes are all from Season 2, actually.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series_episodes#Season_2_.281967.E2.80.931968.29

Not sure which was meant to be "commie planet."

Ed Anger

You have to forgive Grumbler. His memory was shot after fighting the German in Teutoburger Wald.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 30, 2009, 09:03:41 PM
You have to forgive Grumbler. His memory was shot after fighting the German in Teutoburger Wald.

His ears are pure titanium.  Happened at Iwo Jima or Little Bighorn.  The one without the Indians.

grumbler

Quote from: ulmont on December 30, 2009, 08:54:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 30, 2009, 08:49:07 PM

No.  Gangster planet was episode 46, Nazi planet episode 50, and Roman planet episode 54.  Those episodes are all from Season 2, actually.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series_episodes#Season_2_.281967.E2.80.931968.29

Not sure which was meant to be "commie planet."
Okay, late second season (I said that some of the second season stuff was bad), if one wants to be pedantic.

Third season had "American Indian Planet" (58) "Western Planet" (61) and "Ancient Greece Planet" (65). if that matters.

The point is that, while there were some good, original stories in ST, there was also a lot of derivative stuff done because it was cheap to do (yes, I will grant that some of it was attempted humor, and so at least a little bit forgivable ven though the "humor" utterly failed). Stargate SG-1 did the same thing, but was generally not intended as serious SF.

ST is worth watching if you are watching one of the good episodes, but frankly a fair number of them should be burned so no one ever has to see them again.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

For the most part I don't think even the ST fans are disagreeing with you.  There was some derivative work.  Not that the Roman Empire planet wasn't fan, but yes, they went to that particular well a few too many times.

It could probably be called "serious" sci-fi considering the time and place it was made (what other sci-fi was on network tv back then - Lost in Space?), but that is all.

MadImmortalMan

To be fair, I think on the Nazi planet it was the fuhrer that lost his memory, not Kirk.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Darth Wagtaros

Kirk trying to dramatically belt out the Preamble of the US Constitution sticks with ya. 
PDH!