The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on December 28, 2009, 10:52:02 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 28, 2009, 02:31:15 PM
WoW is everywhere, one cannot escape it.
I hear people talk about "tanks" and "dps" as though they were words in a real language and just lol at the geeks.

Having said that, using one MMORPG term in a thread about another MMORPG is probably fair.  They types who play the one probably play another, and those of us who don't play WoW don't play any Star Trek MMO games either.

I don't think there is a hope that one could make a successful ST MMORPG.  The very ethos of the canon is about "special people" and everyone cannot be 'special" without the term losing its meaning.

You acknowledge the very response I would make.  The terms are accepted within MMO games, so they are fair game in discussing another MMO.   I'm certain there must be terms of art in miniature gaming that I am unaware of, but would make sense to others within the community.

And that's what first surprised me about MMOs in general - how can we ALL be heroes?  Yet that's how they all seem to work.  WoW has everyone being heroes of the realm, so STO could as well.

Whether it will be successful or not is an open question, but that is not the reason it would fail...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on December 28, 2009, 01:14:27 PM
As I mentioned months before, it sounds very boring to me to play, say, the medical officer and be stuck in sick bay while other players are doing away missions or what not.

I think I like the model they've gone with.  You play a ship's captain, but you have persistent Bridge Officers who can gain experience and skills with you.  To put it in WoW terms it's as if every player is a hunter and can have multiple pets out at the same time.

An all-female crew of large-breasted Vulcans, or no deal.  :P

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 28, 2009, 11:57:23 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 28, 2009, 01:14:27 PM
As I mentioned months before, it sounds very boring to me to play, say, the medical officer and be stuck in sick bay while other players are doing away missions or what not.

I think I like the model they've gone with.  You play a ship's captain, but you have persistent Bridge Officers who can gain experience and skills with you.  To put it in WoW terms it's as if every player is a hunter and can have multiple pets out at the same time.

An all-female crew of large-breasted Vulcans, or no deal.  :P

Quote from: BarristerOf course you can be damn sure that with my new pre-order benefit I'm going to have an all female bridge crew all wearing TOS-era miniskirts.   :blush:

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 28, 2009, 09:33:07 PM
I dunno, I can see a lot of annoying fanbois choosing Federation with names like "JOHN LUCK PICKERD", but even more annoying fanbois choosing Klingon--and speaking the fucking language in local.

Fuck it.  I'd be V'ger and fuck a bald Eurochick.
I figured you'd be JonBenet Picard. -_-
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on December 29, 2009, 07:52:27 AM
I dunno, I can see a lot of annoying fanbois choosing Federation with names like "JOHN LUCK PICKERD", but even more annoying fanbois choosing Klingon--and speaking the fucking language in local.

So wrong! :lmfao:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on December 29, 2009, 07:52:27 AM

Don't worry, I've already considered JeanBenet Picard.

Ed Anger

Spocked> Picard is the better captain
JT Mirk> No! Kirk is, you idiot
Spocked> HIGHLY ILLOGICAL
JT Mirk> Fuck you, you vulcan pansy
88> HEIL HITLER!
Bobby Brady> I just ate my own spunk!

Yep, sounds like fun
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 29, 2009, 08:43:46 AM
Spocked> Picard is the better captain
JT Mirk> No! Kirk is, you idiot
Spocked> HIGHLY ILLOGICAL
JT Mirk> Fuck you, you vulcan pansy
88> HEIL HITLER!
Bobby Brady> I just ate my own spunk!

Yep, sounds like fun

Not at all scientific, but from reading the forums it seems to be an older crowd then most MMO's
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Thinking about it, I don't think today's nerds are all that into Star Trek..  It certainly hasn't been cool amongst the nerd-set for at least a decade.

So it probably is the 20 to 30 somethings that even care about this game.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on December 29, 2009, 02:02:37 PM
Thinking about it, I don't think today's nerds are all that into Star Trek..  It certainly hasn't been cool amongst the nerd-set for at least a decade.

There is one thread asking how old the folks on forum are, some 20 somethings, but mostly 35-50.

Barrister

So anybody besides katmai and I thinking of trying this one out?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: katmai on December 29, 2009, 02:10:41 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 29, 2009, 02:02:37 PM

There is one thread asking how old the folks on forum are, some 20 somethings, but mostly 35-50.

so a mature, if not old, crowd :p
could actually make for good gameplay :D

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on December 29, 2009, 01:56:00 PM

Not at all scientific, but from reading the forums it seems to be an older crowd then most MMO's

Sure. There will be in depth chats on sperm, masturbation and other subjects. I know the internets.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Official forums are a dangerous place to judge a game by though, as only the hard-core fans hang out there.

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 29, 2009, 02:43:26 PM
Quote from: katmai on December 29, 2009, 01:56:00 PM

Sure. There will be in depth chats on sperm, masturbation and other subjects. I know the internets.
But if you aren't there maybe there won't be.