News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on December 29, 2009, 02:46:47 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 29, 2009, 02:43:26 PM
Quote from: katmai on December 29, 2009, 01:56:00 PM

Not at all scientific, but from reading the forums it seems to be an older crowd then most MMO's

Sure. There will be in depth chats on sperm, masturbation and other subjects. I know the internets.
But if you aren't there maybe there won't be.

What's the one common denominator of all the places Ed Anger has visited on the internet...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on December 29, 2009, 02:46:47 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 29, 2009, 02:43:26 PM
Quote from: katmai on December 29, 2009, 01:56:00 PM

Not at all scientific, but from reading the forums it seems to be an older crowd then most MMO's

Sure. There will be in depth chats on sperm, masturbation and other subjects. I know the internets.
But if you aren't there maybe there won't be.

:cry:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

If I can't get into open beta, I'll wait for initial word from you guys then get in.

As for the crowd, Fallen Earth pre-order crowd was magnificent compared to your usual WoWtards. Then came official release and the tards flooded everything. So don't get your hopes up.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on December 29, 2009, 03:00:52 PM
If I can't get into open beta, I'll wait for initial word from you guys then get in.

As for the crowd, Fallen Earth pre-order crowd was magnificent compared to your usual WoWtards. Then came official release and the tards flooded everything. So don't get your hopes up.

Reminds me of Battlefield 1942. The period between its release and Christmas was a golden age of multiplayer fun.

Then the 'tards arrived at Christmas and the game turned to shit. Then I decided if I couldn't beat 'em, I'd join them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on December 29, 2009, 02:02:37 PM
Thinking about it, I don't think today's nerds are all that into Star Trek..  It certainly hasn't been cool amongst the nerd-set for at least a decade.

Yeah, what are nerds into these days? ST and SW seem to appeal mostly to the 30+ crowd for reasons of childhood nostalgia.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Barrister

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on December 29, 2009, 02:37:52 PM
So anybody besides katmai and I thinking of trying this one out?

Interested, but not at all expecting it to be any good.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on December 29, 2009, 03:39:47 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 29, 2009, 03:35:57 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 29, 2009, 03:32:06 PM

Yeah, what are nerds into these days?

Anime

:bleeding:

You're probably right though.  :(

Trust me. I work together with a lot of early-20s nerds. Aside from total tech-heads who just don't care much about anything but some techy geek stuff, it is anime.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Alexandru H.

Btw, wonder how the experience will feel.... will it be more like in TOS, with the player making all sorts of landings and going forward with phasers in hand, screaming "For the Federation" or, like in TNG, sitting comfortably in the commander's chair, sipping bad whiskey from the replicator while exploring the universe in the most relaxed manner? I bet it's more like the first one  :glare:

Barrister

Quote from: Alexandru H. on December 29, 2009, 06:25:26 PM
Btw, wonder how the experience will feel.... will it be more like in TOS, with the player making all sorts of landings and going forward with phasers in hand, screaming "For the Federation" or, like in TNG, sitting comfortably in the commander's chair, sipping bad whiskey from the replicator while exploring the universe in the most relaxed manner? I bet it's more like the first one  :glare:

More like the first one.  I've read a couple of previews, or experiences by people playing the current closed beta.  It's much more combat focused (probably because no one has ever done a good non-combat MMO), and away teams are always led by the Captain (since that's the PC).

jimmy olsen

TNG federation was lame as hell. Kirk would never have been allowed to rise to the top in that kind of environment.

Thankfully the Borg and the Dominion beat the complacency out of them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Alexandru H.

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 29, 2009, 07:52:10 PM

TNG federation was lame as hell. Kirk would never have been allowed to rise to the top in that kind of environment.

Thankfully the Borg and the Dominion beat the complacency out of them.

TOS was like a bad B-Movie. Terrible.

TNG seemed very realistic in presenting a highly bureaucratic society, as any future Human Federation would surely look like. It did have its faults (Wesley Crusher, the useless Deanna or the obsession of high-ranking officers to teleport right in the eye of the storm), but it was an obvious improvement from the trash of Kirk and his crew...

Barrister