Fiscal Cliff MEGATHREAD: Wile E. Economy falls off, lands in cloud at bottom

Started by CountDeMoney, November 13, 2012, 10:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 26, 2012, 02:49:49 PM
I think its pretty easy to come up with a utilitarian argument against economic inequality if one makes somewhat plausible assumptions about satiation and the shape of an income-utility or wealth-utility curve.

Partially conceded, but you are using a static model.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on December 26, 2012, 02:51:37 PM
Would current corporations be capable of coming up with the equivalent of the 50s/60s interstate network ?

Private toll highways are not unheard of.

The most difficult aspect from a for-profit POV is land aquisition.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2012, 03:11:58 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 26, 2012, 02:51:37 PM
Would current corporations be capable of coming up with the equivalent of the 50s/60s interstate network ?

Private toll highways are not unheard of.

The most difficult aspect from a for-profit POV is land aquisition.
What about network externalities?  The existence of New Jersey Turnpike makes highways in New York, Delaware, and Pennsylvania more valuable.  In addition to that, the might of the federal government imposed a set of standards on interstates, making them run smoother, and far less subject to the tyranny of local speed trap towns that robbed the travelers.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on December 26, 2012, 03:19:46 PM
What about network externalities?

Not as difficult as land aquisition.

Dude, you're having trouble with relatives and superlatives today. :P

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2012, 03:21:40 PM
Evidently I am, because I don't know what that is.  :huh:

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on December 26, 2012, 02:42:36 PM
What he and Meri don't understand, because they don't understand how government works, is that it would be a disaster to have the government build the solar power satellites and wind farms.  Doing so would suck out of the economy money and incentive needed to create satellites and wind farms that actually worked and were efficient.  The USSR and Mao's China should have provided all the necessary evidence that we don't want government to do anything that it does not have to do, but some people aren't interested in evidence, it seems.

That seems fair. To my mind, what needs to happen isn't that the goverment actually do the building, but I do believe in continued and increased government funding of private businesses in this regard.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on December 26, 2012, 03:32:14 PM

Yi's just on one of his, "you don't know what the words you're using mean" gigs, this must be the third thread today he's said this or similar.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

A superlative is something like "the best," or "the brightest."  A relative is like better or brighter.

CountDeMoney

Watch more CBS broadcast football games with Dan Dierdorf.  Everything is "a superlative".

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on December 26, 2012, 02:08:24 PM
They already  are.

Yes, but Ide is so desperate to sound like a radical that he declares that it is "currently considered... outrageous" that government should "fight wars" and "upgrade ... infrastructure."  :rolleyes:

What he and Meri don't understand, because they don't understand how government works, is that it would be a disaster to have the government build the solar power satellites and wind farms.  Doing so would suck out of the economy money and incentive needed to create satellites and wind farms that actually worked and were efficient.  The USSR and Mao's China should have provided all the necessary evidence that we don't want government to do anything that it does not have to do, but some people aren't interested in evidence, it seems.

Thanks Ron Paul.  Who knew that national parks were the road to Stalinism?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on December 26, 2012, 07:03:29 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 26, 2012, 02:08:24 PM
They already  are.

Yes, but Ide is so desperate to sound like a radical that he declares that it is "currently considered... outrageous" that government should "fight wars" and "upgrade ... infrastructure."  :rolleyes:

Thanks Ron Paul.  Who knew that national parks were the road to Stalinism?
Ever heard of Katyn Forest?  :huh:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Well, I guess you shouln't try to meet Marty in Yellowstone national park.  Otherwise you might be seized by the overwhelming urge to shoot him in the back of the neck.